Commuting Every Day With My Jeep

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
i just got out of a Renegade that was an absolute disaster mechanically - id never again buy a FIAT designed engine no matter what the platform. (had the 1.4T Abarth in it)

i absolutely sympathize with dealing with mechanical failures

Im not sure what type of Wrangler you had from your post - but there are people who need a vehicle for daily asphalt commuting that have a complete rugged off-road / oversized wheel setup that is just a mis-match in lifestyle and function.

You have to weigh your lifestyle with your vehicle - much like the breed of dog you have. if youre 350lbs and crippled - dont get a greyhound.

best of luck! hope you find what you need
I agree, to a point. If you commute 50+ miles per day I wouldn't suggest a Jeep period, let alone one on big Mud Terrains. With gas prices where they are, the fuel savings of a prius, leaf, or even a civic would more than pay for the vehicle and save the wear and tear on the lifted jeep and expensive tires. Our jeep serves daily driver duty for my wife, 34 miles round trip. Even lifted on 37's she gets 15-17mpg, good enough to not justify another vehicle. During the winter, a lot of the farm roads on her commute end up under 6-12" of water. It's nice to not have to take the long way to work like she did in her Mazda 6. For people with moderate commutes, it's hard to justify an extra vehicle especially if you actually use the Jeep with big tires off road. Once you get in to the 100+ mile commute it just makes sense to buy something else.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Radiator replacement (twice) . Starter replacement. Secondary battery replacement. Cylinder head replacement.

Started a year ago… fist dealer sucked. Second dealer initially sucked, but eventually came through and fixed the main issue.

Everyone has a different tolerance level for BS. I don’t love Jeep enough to stick with it after this.

I appreciate everyone who responded, I don’t pass judgement on anyone to stick with Jeep. Historically it is a great brand. Something has been lost with quality in he newer JL’s.

Good luck and happy trails - goodbye Jeep!
If I had to guess, the Jeep was a lemon with a bad head gasket, causing double radiator failure due to overpressurization. The starter was never bad, and the aux battery is a maintenance item.

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
I have a 2019 Sport S with Rubi takeoff suspension and 33 AT tires. I have 49k miles since August 2019. Only issues were heated steering wheel burned out and both batteries died last month. Dealer replaced batteries under warranty even though exceeded the warranty mileage. I'm getting around 19mpg on average (vs 21-26 on stock). Not much different than my wife's Honda Pilot now. I don't off-road but I can make it into work no matter the weather - 24+" of snow - no problem.
I love my Jeep as a daily driving car even though 2 sales guys at 2 separate dealers told me not to get a Wrangler based on my driving habits. Would 100% but one again

Raysanti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Just hit 41K on my 2020 (really had to pick up on the daily driving ever since the pandemic started).

I really feel I've been blessed because I've had no mechanical issues whatsoever (knocks on wood). I did notice a little bit of paint bubbling on the edge of the hood the other day, which is disappointing, but that's literally it.

Hope you find what you need.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon 2dr ,2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr
I’ve had 7wranglers , a gladiator and a few other jeep vehicles, most of them have had 150k miles or more, my 18 JLR had 20k when I traded for the gladiator, and that had 40k, I just sold that in November, currently in a 21 JLR with 18k in 9 months, no major issues with any one of them, steering box in the gladiator,under warranty, the rest has been just regular maintenance and drive them I’ve been driving Jeeps for 24 years.

OP
OP
jhnnymac

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
The check engine light came on two more times after the cylinder head replacement. Two more trips to the dealer and $600+ dollars down the toilet….

I drove it straight from the Jeep dealer to the Toyota dealer - traded it in for a new 2022 Toyota 4Runner.

All done with the “reasons” for x,y,and z happening because yadda yadda yadda. All set.

Adios

-The OP
Sponsored