First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I've got a 2019 Rubicon 2.0L with the eTorque and zero issues.

And of course the steering recall/update to the steel box, and a couple firmware updates part of the routine maintenance.

I believe some of the early 2018's suffer the "first model year" problem and just missing some updates due to FCA being shitty with documentation and forcing recalls/updates.

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
2019 JLR, 26k miles, 8.4" radio has been dead for close to 4 months (Since Sep 8) . 1st dealer (Courtesy Chrysler Jeep in Coatesville, Pa) diagnosed the problem and said they ordered the radio. They called me about a month later to say they got a new radio in, when I brought it in they told me they didn't have the radio and would order a new one. A little over a month later I emailed them for a status update, they told me they never ordered a radio, and asked me to bring it back a 3rd time so they could order a radio, didn't help that they almost sounded like they were laughing on the phone. So I contacted another dealer, they said they ordered a radio, I have an appointment for tomorrow for replacement. Hopefully the new dealer fixes it, but not having something as simple as a radio (for almost 4 months) can really kill an ownership experience. I have to imagine if it was more severe mechanical problems I would have dumped it. It is my 2nd vehicle, but I have been left wondering for how much longer.

Sponsored

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Is this post sponsored by Ford or what?
Heh, if it was it kind of backfired since like the third post was a rant about Ford ranger lemons.

FORD - Fu**er Only Rolls Downhill

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLU Sport S, ā€˜16 Silverado
2019 JLR, 26k miles, 8.4" radio has been dead for close to 4 months (Since Sep 8) . 1st dealer (Courtesy Chrysler Jeep in Coatesville, Pa) diagnosed the problem and said they ordered the radio. They called me about a month later to say they got a new radio in, when I brought it in they told me they didn't have the radio and would order a new one. A little over a month later I emailed them for a status update, they told me they never ordered a radio, and asked me to bring it back a 3rd time so they could order a radio, didn't help that they almost sounded like they were laughing on the phone. So I contacted another dealer, they said they ordered a radio, I have an appointment for tomorrow for replacement. Hopefully the new dealer fixes it, but not having something as simple as a radio (for almost 4 months) can really kill an ownership experience. I have to imagine if it was more severe mechanical problems I would have dumped it. It is my 2nd vehicle, but I have been left wondering for how much longer.
That sounds more like a dealer timeline issue than a "Jeep" issue, though. I'd be talking to Jeep Cares about that whole thing!!!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Hell, I have an F150 and a Wrangler parked side by side. Zero problems with them.

The Jeep still has it's original aluminum steering box, albeit the 2020 upgraded one. No sense in fixing what's not broken.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
That sounds more like a dealer timeline issue than a "Jeep" issue, though. I'd be talking to Jeep Cares about that whole thing!!!
I sent an email to Jeep, they just dumped me off to Uconnect instead. Jeep honestly seemed like they couldn't care less.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I donā€™t think Jeeps are any better or worse made than any UAW built vehicle. Itā€™s the service that is terrible. Jeep/FCA USA/Stellantis needs to work on training their dealers.

And I feel that it should be said again. Dealers are individually owned franchised that are licensed to sell and service a particular brand. If I was FCA USA, I would be thinking out of the box right now and consider licensing independent shops for factory backed service and warranty work. Just the threat of it would get the dealers back in line.

Sponsored

Stetson

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2014 Ford Raptor
Occupation
Project Manager
I donā€™t think Jeeps are any better or worse made than any UAW built vehicle. Itā€™s the service that is terrible. Jeep/FCA USA/Stellantis needs to work on training their dealers.

And I feel that it should be said again. Dealers are individually owned franchised that are licensed to sell and service a particular brand. If I was FCA USA, I would be thinking out of the box right now and consider licensing independent shops for factory backed service and warranty work. Just the threat of it would get the dealers back in line.
Exactly. That is why I would never consider an extended warranty or anything like that. Do I want to pay more for the dealership experience to continue for years after the pain of the original purchase? No thanks.

my jeep is out of warranty and I am happy to take It to an independent shop for any future work it needs.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The hard part for many is researching their mods. So many are disappointed after one mod that they try to fix it with another and the problems just get worse. The underlying cause is never addressed. And some people just like modding, even when some donā€™t function well with others. Not saying thatā€™s the OPā€™s issue.
A lot of people get into a Jeep for the first time. The Jeep is tall, narrow, has solid axles front and rear, coils + shocks front and rear. It feels weird and squirrely since they are used to modern cars (it is mostly in their head).

Then you have several third party manufacturers claim on their website a 3.5in lift and above will drive better than stock, people jump on it. over $3,000 lifts, made in the U.S., must be good. And it gives people an excuse to "fix their jeeps" while also making it look cool. The lift gives them massive 4.5 or more inches of lift, they get 37s on and surprise surprise, it doesn't fix the issues but "introduce more". The Jeep now is even taller, tires are heavy sluggish and too aggressive on the pavement, etc...

Reputable brands are doing this:
- Daily driver/weekend warrior
- Better than stock highway ride and handling.
- etc....

I am sorry. But for most people a Jeep on a huge lift and 37s is not a "daily driver/weekend warrior". And it won't feel better than stock on the highway. Again, for most people, who are used to driving a low clearance modern sedan/SUV on street tires.

Too many people get into this without understanding the basics of the suspension or what they actually want/need. Their expectations from the Jeep are unreasonable. "I want a Jeep that looks badass, on huge 37 M/T tires with a big lift that I can just drive around like a Camry". And it doesn't help that lift companies use this for their own marketing.

I am pretty happy with my Jeep. Only had an issue with the front seats on the 2 door that was fixed under warranty, it was a bit of a nightmare but it is now over. Then an issue with rubicon shocks that I introduced when I modified my suspension, and I fixed it with new shocks. That's about it. I love how it drives, and how it feels like I am driving a Jeep and not a car. I never expected my Jeep to drive like my 2020 Camry.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The wife has daily driven our 2019 since day 1, only issue weā€™ve had was a bad pcmā€¦from superchips. It lasted 1 month before it died, but otherwise the Jeep has been solid for 45k miles, 100+ trails, thousands of off road miles, and 37ā€™s for 30k of that. Conversely I had massive problems with both Ford vehicles I have owned as well as my work van that shot a spark plug out of the head at 100k (known issue with triton motors). Every manufacturer has a some bad vehicles, most models have their share of known issues, the early JL steering box for instance, but condemning all Jeepā€™s as unreliable because you had a bad experience with one is just foolish.

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
I daily drove my 2012 two door for ten years now and have 165K miles on it. I lifted it 3.5 right after getting it and have had no problems with it. Never been in the shop for repairs. I just picked up my new 2021 JLU Ruby but plan on keeping my two door. Hopefully my new Jeepwull be as trustworthy. Guess it's the luck of the draw.
Sponsored