Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
Jeep absolutely need to do this. Least in US,

Ford has partnered w/Tesla to have an adapter for use with their EV’s at Tesla chargers. The bigger news, Ford will ditch the CCS standard and switch to the Tesla connector in their vehicles in 2025. So no adapter needed and just use Tesla chargers.

This is a brilliant move. While a big advantage of BEV is charging overnight at home, some people do regular road trips. And right now, today, in the US, the most reliable and dependable network is the Tesla SC network.

The Wrangler needs to do the same.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html
Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Let the free market decide. Not the Government or the Manufacturers who are merely doing what they are "advised to do". Choices are good, mandates (by those with an agenda) are not.

If you don't see what is really going on here, then you are not paying attention.

Just my .02. Keep the change.

Last edited:

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
Let the free market decide. Not the Government or the Manufacturers who are merely doing what they are "advised to do". Choices are good, mandates (by those with an agenda) are not.

If you don't see what is really going on here, then you are not paying attention.

Just my .02. Keep the change.
There Is no federal mandate. And even the handful of states that do, it’s not till 2035 (a lot can happen in 12 years) AND only applies to new car sales in the states. Not to used. Not those bought out of states.

Besides, we r now, today ”mandating” against certain vehicles (mostly EV’s). I live in Texas. So despite the state giving a ton of tax credits to Tesla to build here, I can’t buy a Tesla in Texas. It’s against the law. Nor could I buy a Rivian or a Licid. It’s illegal to sell them in Texas (and many other states). It’s illegal in Texas (and other states) to sell vehicles direct.

If you’re against “mandates” to help EV sales, I’m assuming ur also against “mandates” that force me to buy from a dealership. Shouldn’t the market decide?

We mandate all sorts of things. Seatbelts, crumple zones, insurance, licensing, registration.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
I go to Vegas many times a year. Two trips ago I had my Wrangler to do some light trails with the top down. Anyway, was parking in the hotel garage and every level had EV chargers. Several in use.

I live in Dallas. Recently made the drive from Dallas to the Woodlands (suburb north of Houston for a concert.. Being in Texas, I’m required by law to stop at Buc-ee’s for over priced beef jerky and a picture with a giant cartoon beaver. I noticed they had Tesla chargers around back. They is a perfect “road trip“ stop. You are going to go in for that jerky, shop, maybe even eat.
So funny you mention Bucees, next Friday we're dropping a video where we rank some of the best Bucees snacks. Pretty excited. Got any food suggestions we should try?

Mike_Hawk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GOBI JLUR 3.6
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Clubs

The potential devastation of an EV battery catching fire (not common but definitely not unheard of) on a remote trail is terrifying imo...

Sponsored

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
So funny you mention Bucees, next Friday we're dropping a video where we rank some of the best Bucees snacks. Pretty excited. Got any food suggestions we should try?
Well the jerky is a big dea. If u like the style (flavorful, but dry as opposed to chewy). But really, u might as well buy a sample of a bunch of their Snacks. They got so many.

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
The potential devastation of an EV battery catching fire (not common but definitely not unheard of) on a remote trail is terrifying imo...
Do you really think it would be worse than an ICE? I mean, if it spreads, it spreads.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
You have a significantly greater chance of the manual transmission Wranglers catching on fire than an EV catching on fire.

Dusty Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ply Roadrunner, 2010 Challenger SRT
Do you really think it would be worse than an ICE? I mean, if it spreads, it spreads.
It takes 5 times the amount of water to extinguish an EV fire and the temperature is 6-10k degrees vs ~1600 degrees. The battery can act like an arc welder…

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, ICE fires are much easier to extinguish and easier to manage. The issue is getting it out, before it spreads. And with that said, you'd have a much better chance of extinguishing/containing a fire with an ICE powered vehicle.

That's just my opinion, based on decades of experience.

Sponsored

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
It takes 5 times the amount of water to extinguish an EV fire and the temperature is 6-10k degrees vs ~1600 degrees. The battery can act like an arc welder…
Exactly.

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe

There were an estimated 170,000 vehicle fires in 2022 in the USA.

50 of those were EVs.

Fifty.

Now let’s look at averaged rates.

There are about 1500 fires per 100,000 units in gas cars.

EVs are 25 per 100,000 units.

People really are afraid of what they don’t understand.

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
Actually, ICE fires are much easier to extinguish and easier to manage. The issue is getting it out, before it spreads. And with that said, you'd have a much better chance of extinguishing/containing a fire with an ICE powered vehicle.

That's just my opinion, based on decades of experience.
The way I took his statement wasn’t about the vehicle. He specifically said trails worried him. Thus I took it as a vehicle fire starting a forest fire. Which any fire could do. Not just from the incredibly rare EV fire. My point, once it spreads it makes no difference the source.

Now if ur argument is ur more likely to stop an ICE fire before it spreads, then an EV fire, its certainly possible. But is it real? Maybe u can’t put out an EV fire with a couple fire extinguishers, but r we sure we can a ICE? And u might keep it from spreading using a couple fire extinguishers (perhaps) no matter type of vehicle. Do u have stats on that? I mean are there even stats that show how often any vehicle fire starts a forest fire?

This seems like a weird discussion. We know ICE vehicles catch fire at significantly higher rates. Not sure why it’s now an issue to take vehicles on trails.

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
So there is pressurized water (fire hydrant) on trails you go on? And they have enough water to put out an ICE fire but not enough as an EV fire? I’ve never seen that before. tho admittedly I don’t do hard core stuff. Mostly light/medium trails and a bit overlanding.

Certainly new to me.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Good thing gas isn't flammable... once your vehicle starts a forest fire in a remote location your fire extinguisher isn't doing anything. ICE vehicles are far more likely to catch fire. The battery poses a fire fighting problem where a fire department has access, on the trail it's a ridiculous argument.
Sponsored