Sponsored

Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
The most obvious one I can think of is the Ford F-150. Also, keep in mind most people absolutely do not beat the shit out of their Jeeps. The off-road crowd is relatively small compared to the amount of people purchasing Wranglers.
I looked at the top F150 forums and don't see an issues category for the 15-20 model. The lone forum that has a generic issues forum has 1300 members. JLWranglerforum has almost 49,500. I'd warrant if there was an active 2020 Ford Explorer forum the issues forum would be just as bad as this with 1/3rd of the time. I wouldn't consider either of them to have as many enthusiasts as Wranglers still.

Not every, or even majority of Wrangler owners are part of the off-road crowd. Wranglers are still subject to a lot more than the average vehicle between modding and light offroading that isn't a hobby(camping, beach driving, driving in trails or bumpy roads to get home for rural areas, snowy areas, etc). Most do use 4WD somewhat frequently. Many do mod them, often cheaply.

I'm neither calling Jeep reliable or unreliable. Just objectively there isn't a fair comparison to make. I would say a Ford Mustang but they don't offroad whatsoever and it's hard to find a single model forum with activity to compare issues. Corvettes could be comparable but 99% of them just sit in a garage.
Sponsored

jeep364

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 WK
F150 forums have plenty of issues. They all do.

Look up 5.0 oil burning 2018+, cold /humid weather causing doors to not lock (2015-2020), etc.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes, all cars have issues, and in my opinion from what I have seen and experienced the JL wrangler has more issues than what I would consider a normal amount.

OP is concerned coming from a Taco to a JL, I think he should 100% be considering all factors as QC on JLs is shit.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I can't find a vehicle a JLs age, or close to, with any remote activity and an issues category to compare. Find another vehicle loaded with as many as enthusiasts as the Wrangler. This forum is incredibly active, activity correlates with threads/posts in all categories. Find one that's as heavily modded as Wranglers often are. Find one that routinely gets beat the shit out of like Jeep Wranglers do.

Objectively you can't compare a Wrangler issues forum to another vehicles. It's just not comparable.
Consumers Union (Consumer Reports) is the only source I know of that the data is actually normalized so you can compare various vehicle on the same issues.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Consumers Union (Consumer Reports) is the only source I know of that the data is actually normalized so you can compare various vehicle on the same issues.
While I know what your words mean, I don’t actually understand what you’re saying. How are things like mods and off-roading normalized? How about complaints over being noisy despite being an off-roading convertible? We can compare a Wrangler to any other vehicle. I’ll stand by that just because we can, doesn’t mean it makes objective sense.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'd answer but the horrible squealing from my brakes has left me with a headache...
Hi @JimLee,

Have you notified your servicing Jeep dealer of this issue? Please let us know if you are in need of additional support while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
I can't find a vehicle a JLs age, or close to, with any remote activity and an issues category to compare. Find another vehicle loaded with as many as enthusiasts as the Wrangler. This forum is incredibly active, activity correlates with threads/posts in all categories. Find one that's as heavily modded as Wranglers often are. Find one that routinely gets beat the shit out of like Jeep Wranglers do.

Objectively you can't compare a Wrangler issues forum to another vehicles. It's just not comparable.
What the hell are you trying to say? Please put down the bottle before you post. There is an abundance of issues with the JL. It’s not hard to find complaints ranging from annoying to deadly posted here.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
What the hell are you trying to say? Please put down the bottle before you post. There is an abundance of issues with the JL. It’s not hard to find complaints ranging from annoying to deadly posted here.

What the hell are you trying to say? I never mentioned the JL not having issues. I never suggested it's hard to find complaints about the JL. Please, stop projecting and put the bottle down before you post. Reading comprehension isn't a special skill.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
While I know what your words mean, I don’t actually understand what you’re saying. How are things like mods and off-roading normalized? How about complaints over being noisy despite being an off-roading convertible? We can compare a Wrangler to any other vehicle. I’ll stand by that just because we can, doesn’t mean it makes objective sense.
I got the impression some people are intent on comparing reliability and quality of the JL to other vehicles. My post was directed at those that are interested in comparing common systems in vehicles, such as electrical, mechanical, driveline, and body issues to other vehicles they may be considering. Not everyone uses a JL the same way you do. In fact, I'd put dollars to your donuts that far and away more JLs just end up as daily drivers on road only or very light off road use.

I recognize that people put Dana 60s in some JLs, and put superchargers on JL engines, but I believe the question being raised was about problems in as delivered configuration. Nobody can can provide blanket testimony to an aftermarket product's reliability and quality when they are as often as not, designed by armchair engineers and installed by novice owners between shifts at the salt mine.

If you don't think the reliability reports of the electrical system on JLs, compared to say a Land Rover or 4 Runner, provides any value to you as a purchaser of a Jeep, you don't have to look at it.

Sponsored

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
I had a 2012 JKU Sahara. Nicely equipped. It needed the drivers side head replaced at a young age. Chrysler did extend the warranty on that replaced part to 100,000 miles. I really loved that Jeep, but thought I needed a GMC truck. So I traded for a Canyon in 2016. Worst thing I ever did. The transmission in that truck could get you killed. It never new what gear to be in and audible clunks were common place. I traded the GMC off for my new JLU Sport S with the 8 speed auto and have never been happier. In this day and age, what ever you purchase, it’s very easy to buy trouble with any make.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Not everyone uses a JL the same way you do. In fact, I'd put dollars to your donuts that far and away more JLs just end up as daily drivers on road only or very light off road use.
Comparing common systems is fair and makes sense normalizing.

That’s kind of the point though. A Jeep as designed is a horrible daily driver for the average person. The nature of the Jeep means the average review will be horrible. I’d bet half the reviews on CR have nothing to do with reliability.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Consumer report is not reliable sources of information for these reasons:

CR subscribers aren't representative of the general public.

CR data is noisy. By "noisy," I mean varying quite a bit from year to year.

CR uses as few as 100 surveys to rate vehicles!

Bottom line - CR is majority older people who make an account to complain as they are miserable in their life.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
What the hell are you trying to say?
I'm neither calling Jeep reliable or unreliable. Just objectively there isn't a fair comparison to make.
It doesn’t get much clearer than this.

At the time of this posting, what other vehicle manufacturer currently offers a 2dr/4dr off road 4x4 convertible where the doors can come off and the windshield can come down?

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What the hell are you trying to say? I never mentioned the JL not having issues. I never suggested it's hard to find complaints about the JL. Please, stop projecting and put the bottle down before you post. Reading comprehension isn't a special skill.
The aggressive display of lack of reading comprehension is genuinely funny for some weird reason. Or maybe I'm weird...
Sponsored