Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Generally, all mass-produced vehicles get better in the later model years. But if you're waiting for a model year of Wrangler where all problems are fixed, I think you're going to be waiting a long time.

If you're worried about something going wrong on a Wrangler, don't worry, something probably will. There's a reason why Fiat Chrysler Automotive has a poor reputation, I mean...they earned it! LOL

It's just something you're going to have to deal with, either yourself, or pay or beg help from someone to fix for you. Wranglers aren't for everyone. If you don't want to do any minor wrenching on it yourself, you probably shouldn't get one.
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
@Mustard,

Thanks for starting this thread, it has invoked a very good discussion on why consider a JL Wrangler at all. Truthfully, I've never driven a Tacoma, wouldn't want to. Big ass pick-ups have never been my thing. They're great when you really need to haul something, but what percentage of time do you see them in traffic with anything in the bed? I'd venture to say in my observation, a very small percentage of any pick-up truck on the road is ever being used for what it was designed for. Oversized DD commuters hauling nothing but it's driver.

However, I've been just as guilty spending the last 15 years driving around the Griswald family truckster, an 05 Dodge Grand Caravan (with almost 300K miles) on it. So I have absolutely nothing to brag about.

That boring mini-van though was a pure blessing. All 300K miles were nearly maintenance free. Had to replace a water pump and an EGR valve, way too many brake pads (lost count). Otherwise purely stock. Chrysler poor quality perception my ass. Wonderfully practical family vehicle.

Now that the kids have grown and flown the nest, the wife and I decided on something way more fun. Last year we purchased, almost on a whim, a 2019 JL Sport S 3.6L auto 2 door hardtop. Wow is all I can say! I've since invested in a 2.5" lift, 35s and a sway bar quick disconnect kit. There is literally nowhere we can't go with it. In our first year, we've been on probably a couple dozen US Forest Service, some very difficult, trails in our Colorado back yard alone. We live in Longmont CO. What a blast.

This is also my daily driver. The odometer reads just over 16K with a year's ownership. Not a single complaint. Nothing yet wrong with anything. Best vehicle I could have ever hoped for. It's fun to drive whether here around the Front Range or up in the mountains. I look forward to getting into it as often as I can. The wife's getting jealous I spend more time with Snoopy (she named him) than with her. Maybe due to this covid 'now working from home' gig, she's happy I don't need any excuse to go wheeling with it.

I've had zero steering issues, it's peppy and responsive even with the 35s on the 3.45 open diffs, and I get great mileage (a little better than 23 mpg). I've even recently installed a tow hitch and wiring kit, for those infrequent times I need a pick-up bed in the form of a light duty utility trailer.

Do what you will. Convince yourself (or not) on whether the Jeep thing is for you. All I can say is that I wave back 'enthusiastically' to all the Jeep waves I get. I'm very happy to be part of the Jeeping community. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

They can go lock the world down with all this covid insanity. As long as I can still find fuel, you'll likely find me (us) somewhere wheeling in the Colorado foothills breathing in the desolate mountain air.

Tacos will likely be the furthest thought in our minds.

Jay

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

372ee531af3d8b39dcb94dfcc0933141--snoopy-charlie-charlie-brown.jpg

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
:surprised:Nooooooo!!!

The 8-speed transmission was developed in Germany alright, not by BMW but by ZF. They specialize in transmissions. ZF also developed the 9-speed automatic that is being used on everything from Acuras to Renegades and is proving so problematic.

But you are right, this 8-speed has been a winner. FCA builds it in the US under license from ZF and made some improvements to it.

FCA labels it TorqueFlite in homage to one of the world’s greatest automatic transmissions ever developed. The original TorqueFlite was designed and built by Chrysler from the 1950s through the 1980s. It was smooth, responsive and bullet proof. Just like this one.
hmmm, I remember different but I'll check it out. I read an article about it awhile back and it stated it was rated as the number 1 or 2 tranny in its class.

Rs4rocks

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4m40i
Should you be worried? No! Just be prepared to deal with it. I just bought my 1st Jeep Rubicon Recon four months ago. I always read about reliability issues. Coming from Audi's and BMW's where issues were far and few between, I didn't bat an eye when buying the Jeep. The 2020 drives nice for what it is and it's just cool! We have been able to go places we never could before. So far so good with zero regrets...the Jeep has surpassed all expectations in drivability, flexibility and technology. Oh, did I say it's just cool! As others have said, go with what "YOU" want. Just be aware of the downside...there is more upside IMO!

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 X 2006 Ford Rangers and 1 B4000 work vehicles.
I can’t help but think that reliability will get better with each model year. I need dependable transportation. Fortunately my Tacoma holds value well so I’m going to sit on it until 2022 model year and then take the plunge.

some on here may find this strange but it’s really the Sky One Touch that hooked me. Fast easy access to open air is something I would use daily 6 months a year. And the selec trac and lsd on the Sahara will definitely enhance Winter driving.

Sponsored

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
I sold my 2012 Tacoma to buy my 2021 Rubicon. While the Tacoma was very functional- being a truck- there is nothing like a Jeep. I’m never looking back :)

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
I had a Taco (2016.5 - so start of 3rd gen) up to a few months ago. My Taco was in the shop wayyyy more than my JLU (a 2018 - so start of the current gen and supposedly then the least reliable). I think my Taco was in for a combined ~6-8 weeks in my first 2 years of ownership due to dash glitching out, wiring harness that was recalled then put back together wrong by the dealer, and a gas line that decided to pop open.

Versus my JLU has been in the shop for a few hours combined to get some "free" oil changes done and an aux battery replaced.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I can’t help but think that reliability will get better with each model year. I need dependable transportation. Fortunately my Tacoma holds value well so I’m going to sit on it until 2022 model year and then take the plunge.

some on here may find this strange but it’s really the Sky One Touch that hooked me. Fast easy access to open air is something I would use daily 6 months a year. And the selec trac and lsd on the Sahara will definitely enhance Winter driving.
The SOT is what hooked me as well. I sold my 2008 FJ Cruiser. I love my jeep! I have the selec-trac and lsd too. I'm in 4 auto always. Love the traction and handling!

Decatur Shorty

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L
Sold my 2016 Tacoma and bought a JL 2-door and never looked back. The 3.6L with the 8-speed automatic makes the Tacoma look sick. The Jeep powertrain is much more smoother and more powerful.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sold my 2016 Tacoma and bought a JL 2-door and never looked back. The 3.6L with the 8-speed automatic makes the Tacoma look sick. The Jeep powertrain is much more smoother and more powerful.
AMEN! On a good day a Tacoma with the 3.5 V6 + 6-speed auto drives like a Jeep Wrangler in limp mode!

Welcome to the support group...errr...I mean JL forum.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I had a Taco (2016.5 - so start of 3rd gen) up to a few months ago. My Taco was in the shop wayyyy more than my JLU (a 2018 - so start of the current gen and supposedly then the least reliable). I think my Taco was in for a combined ~6-8 weeks in my first 2 years of ownership due to dash glitching out, wiring harness that was recalled then put back together wrong by the dealer, and a gas line that decided to pop open.

Versus my JLU has been in the shop for a few hours combined to get some "free" oil changes done and an aux battery replaced.

Heretic! This is to praise the unfailing Toyota and bash the ever failing inevitable self destruction of the Jeep.

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
Heretic! This is to praise the unfailing Toyota and bash the ever failing inevitable self destruction of the Jeep.
I know right? I was almost brainwashed myself and as I was trading in my Taco for a RAM I kept thinking how dumb I was for replacing my indestructible Toyota for another faulty FCA product. But then stopped and thought about what I had actually experienced...

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Have read some discouraging reports on the reliability of the JL at CR and other outlets.

So I can pull the trigger now on a 2021 or wait until 2022 when it will be the JL's 4th model year and hopefully all the problems are fixed. Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
Have read some discouraging reports on the reliability of the JL at CR and other outlets.

So I can pull the trigger now on a 2021 or wait until 2022 when it will be the JL's 4th model year and hopefully all the problems are fixed. Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
Toyota =more supple ride , better build quality , more expensive .. for the options you get , more comfortable seats especially the rear ones. The 4runner is more spacious the Taco is a bit cramped. If you suffer from spinal pain then entering and getting out out of toyotas is a bit more painfull because the lack of head space. More refined engine.
Jeep = more build options (aftermarket) , stiffer sportier ride, better fuel milage (i have a 6 spd manual and pull off 26 mpg on straight highway on the 3.6L) MORE, headroom and i mean really more , more suspension travel and can be had with physical lockers ..not that electronic brake control tuff. This are just some of the most obvious differences.

jmann99999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
I came from a 4Runner to a 2018 JL (first year from JL). 4Runner and Tacoma are built on the same frame and are pretty similar. The only issue I have had with my Jeep is the Death Wobble. I recently put on new tires and it has gone away. The 4Runner had no issues and now three years on, my Jeep is in the same boat.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy the lifetime warranty option on the 2018, but I don’t anticipate needing that for another 6-7 years based on what I have seen so far.

I’d buy whatever makes you happy. Your odds of issues are likely a crap shoot.

AFMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I went from a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road to a 2018 JL Sahara with Selec-Trac, and I’d do it again.

The Tacoma was surprisingly good in the snow. I replaced the OE Goodyear Adventurer tires with a set of General Grabber AT-X tires, which helped; other than that, it was all stock. But the JL with Select-Trac, rear LSD and KO2s is in a league of its own: the aplomb with which it tackles snow, ice, rain is simply amazing.

The Tacoma was built like a tank. But it had a list of annoyances that were hard to overlook: I never found a driving position that was comfortable for more than 30 minutes. The truck chimed, chirped and buzzed constantly; often for no apparent reason. The navigation looked like it had been developed 20 years ago. And WTF IS WRONG WITH THAT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION?!?!

Driving the Tacoma on 2-lane roads was utterly frustrating; the automatic transmission sapped out all the fun. That transmission alone was worth dumping that truck.

Unlike the 6-speed automatic on my Tacoma, 8-speed automatic on my JL is always on the right gear; and is smooth, refined, responsive and fast. And the V6 works beautifully with the automatic.

Thankfully, Tacoma held its value like a champ, so I didn’t lose my shirt when I sold it after six months.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried 372ee531af3d8b39dcb94dfcc0933141--snoopy-charlie-charlie-brown

Jeep Wrangler JL Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried 372ee531af3d8b39dcb94dfcc0933141--snoopy-charlie-charlie-brown

This. All of this. Especially this - "And WTF IS WRONG WITH THAT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION?!?!"
Sponsored