Sponsored

Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 X 2006 Ford Rangers and 1 B4000 work vehicles.
I was not just basing it on CR. That was only one source that rated the Wrangler low in reliability.

Regarding the PRO in snow. Yes I have weight in bed (350lbs) and yes I have winter tires (Hakka r2). I’m not happy with the how the diff reacts. The Sahara set up looks much better for daily snow driving
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Problems are random. I wouldn't expect a 2021 to be less reliable than a 2022. Same with a 2018 and a 2022.

In my shopping experience(not just cars) I've learned to just buy what I want, fits my needs and ignore the issues posted online. The issues shared about(whether it's a car, a boat, a certain TV, etc) generally represent a small % of owner base and sometimes are just people who don't have a clue anyways. The point is to buy something and evaluate yourself rather than be scared away from what you read. If you dig you'll find dirt with anything you research.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I think you just have to buy what you really want.....whichever that is.

I went to a Jeep because I was tired of driving boring, family vehicles. Trucks were never a consideration for me as I'm just not a fan of them.

Auto 4WD is okay at times I guess. But honestly, I didn't even include it on my Jeep. Heck, most of the vehicles I've owned didn't even have any 4 WD. Our most recent vehicle did have AWD but I couldn't tell you if it was ever used or not and that vehicle was nothing special in the snow. The last vehicle I had with selectable 4WD was back around 2007 when I had a Hummer H3. I loved the 4WD in that vehicle just being able to engage it when I wanted to and I knew when it was on. I guess I'm old school or something but I like knowing exactly what I'm driving and how the vehicle will handle.

And as for vehicles in general, I've had problems with almost all my vehicles....Chevy, Ford, GMC, Dodge....Doesn't make much difference. Corners are cut everywhere these days if you ask me and all these manufacturers are trying to charge more by doing less. And I'm of the belief they never want to invest too much into making great, durable vehicles. I mean, why invest so much into doing that up front as it will just hurt your sales of parts and more vehicles in the long run? There's no point in making a vehicle that could go 10 years without any problems....going to put yourself out of business if you do that.

So I just say buy what you really want and what suits your needs.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
My current JL is my 4th Jeep. Thus far, with the sole exception of a DEALER caused problem on my third one, mine have all been great vehicles. I had more factory issues with my ‘10Tundra than I’ve ever had my Jeeps. ALL motor vehicles are a crap shoot, but frankly today nobody can consistently build problematic vehicles or they’d shortly be out of business. On this, or any vehicle forum, you’ll find folks with complaints. You will seldom see dozens of folks sayin “my xxx is wonderful”. If you have 250,000 vehicles with happy ownership and another 250 that are unhappy, guess which ones you’ll read about? A few years ago if you’d read the Tacoma forums the complaints about the auto trans were off the chart. Buy what you want, but don’t be afraid of a Jeep.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I was not just basing it on CR. That was only one source that rated the Wrangler low in reliability.

Regarding the PRO in snow. Yes I have weight in bed (350lbs) and yes I have winter tires (Hakka r2). I’m not happy with the how the diff reacts. The Sahara set up looks much better for daily snow driving
I drove in a snow storm last winter and was amazed at how well the JLUR did in it, almost boring.

I had mine in 2 times for ESS, one was a short in the wiring harness, the other was for a dead/weak battery. I dont drive it every day or even week.

We have a toyota 4 runner that we love but we have had our share of issues with it as well. Left my wife stranded once when the keys wouldnt work. Other stuff too.

I dont know how the turbo is doing or the diesel, but the 3.6 is about as reliable as it gets. The auto tranny was designed by BMW and is regarded as one of the best ever made.

As far as the electronics and other dodads, I think it MIGHT be their weak point but dunno. Previously I had a jeep TJ and that was rock solid.

A goodly amount of creeks while driving are going to be heard vs a REAL hard top. But not annoying unless your OCD.

If you wheel or want uncompromising adventure, there is no better vehicle out there (bronco gets close).

I get the apprehension, these are not the jeeps of yesteryear. They now make a rig the wife can go shopping with, bring the kids, and take wheeling on the weekend. But some of the unique to jeep stuff is there over a conventional type vehicle...many just arent used to it and complain.

Steering seems to or was an issue for many. I never had a problem, and I think jeep now has a new steering box along with programming changes.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the JLUs in 2018, but went with a TRD Off-Road, because at the time it better fit my needs. A couple of recalls and the battery died at 24 months (apparently common), but the seating position is terrible (for me), so now I'm trying to decide what JL to order. No particular hurry since COVID has me working from home.) I've tried to talk myself out of Jeep #5, but I can't. CR went after Suzuki over the Samurai, when the Bronco II was more likely to roll over (I think they hate certain vehicles and then go after them). We currently have 2013 & 2014 JKs.... 2013 was bought in 2015 with 8,000 miles (early 3.6 head, but never been a problem). 2014 had a bad AC Fan switch (part of the Hard Top kit I added and covered under warranty). Both had brake calipers size at about 40k, but they sit a lot and the 2013 was on a Naval base for 3 years, soaking in salt air. Any new vehicle is a gamble, especially when the old vehicle is still reliable, but Jeep is an icon. (The Bronco may prove to be more reliable and actually improve upon the Wrangler, but but it's still not a Jeep). And if Wranglers were junk, they wouldn't have the resale value that they do.
That’s just it. Wrangler hooks you like a drug. Twice I traded a Wrangler thinking I was ready to move on; twice I came back to Wrangler. I missed it so much.

There’s very little I miss about owning a Tacoma.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I dont know how the turbo is doing or the diesel, but the 3.6 is about as reliable as it gets. The auto tranny was designed by BMW and is regarded as one of the best ever made.
:surprised:Nooooooo!!!

The 8-speed transmission was developed in Germany alright, not by BMW but by ZF. They specialize in transmissions. ZF also developed the 9-speed automatic that is being used on everything from Acuras to Renegades and is proving so problematic.

But you are right, this 8-speed has been a winner. FCA builds it in the US under license from ZF and made some improvements to it.

FCA labels it TorqueFlite in homage to one of the world’s greatest automatic transmissions ever developed. The original TorqueFlite was designed and built by Chrysler from the 1950s through the 1980s. It was smooth, responsive and bullet proof. Just like this one.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
There is no reason to believe the 2022 will be better than the 2021.

Basically it is a crapshoot whether you get a good one or a bad one regardless of year.

If you try to find a sensible reason to buy a Wrangler then you probably shouldn't buy one. If you drive one and you just HAVE to buy it then buy it. Otherwise there are tons of great options in the $45k-$55k price range.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Good point. If you drive a Jeep and don't say "yes, it's fun, I want it!"... you might end up with buyer's remorse if you buy it.

I also came from a '19 Off Road and don't have any regrets. Actually, when I test drove the OR my reaction was "yeah, it'll do the job". A year later it was gone.

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep vs Tacoma is, and always will be a discussion for the bar.
Grab a beer and piss off your friends :)

My opinion, and I doubt it's worth anything near 0.02, is that they are both great vehicles that focus on different things.
Jeep = offroad capability first, second, and third. Form, fit, MPG, comfort... FCA tries to get those right to compete in the general market, but they are secondary goals.
Tacoma = reliability first. Offroad, MPG, comfort... secondary goals

They both get close on all fronts, but the emphasis is clear and comes down from the corporate level from both companies.

One example I have surprised me. It wasn't a comparison JL to Tacoma or anything, but did show how Jeep emphasizes capability.
We were in my wife's 2018 Jeep Compass. Yes, Compass. 20" rubberband tires, not an offroad machine AT ALL! But still locking 4WD. But generally, just an AWD vehicle.

We were with my parent's in their GMC Terrain. Also a general AWD vehicle.

Looking at tires, they appeared similar. Relatively new HT type tires on both vehicles.
We were in Colorado and were on dirt roads with an inch of snow and icy conditions.
Both locked in AWD, and our Compass was a far more competent vehicle. Not by a little. By a LOT!
It had to be programming only. But Jeep's attention to it was clear. Aggressiveness on the terrain management stuff and BLD made a clear difference.

On the other side, their GMC, with a v6 motor (compared to a 2.4l 4cyl) actually got better gas mileage in nearly all conditions.

I was happy with my choice for her Compass. And I'm happy with my choice in my JLUR.
My emphasis is capability, which matches Jeep.

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Tacoma's are good reliable trucks. That being said, they have somewhat rested on their laurels. Modern 4x4 vehicles have moved way past them. Colorado, Ranger, Jeep are all much more advanced and mostly in good ways. Tacomas are great, but dated.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Have read some discouraging reports on the reliability of the JL at CR and other outlets.

So I can pull the trigger now on a 2021 or wait until 2022 when it will be the JL's 4th model year and hopefully all the problems are fixed. Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
I hear your concerns. I wheeled and DD several Toyota 4x’s 150,000 miles and my wife has run two Highlanders 150 combined without issues. My JLR is my first Jeep newer than 1979. I wanted to flat tow a 4x4 and Toyota’s suck for that. I was very hesitant in going back to a Jeep product. Happy to say I’ve had my JLR for almost two years and no issues. I’ve wheeled it 16,000 and flat towed it that much more. Love it.
I recognize a 4dr Sahara would make a better DD snow county rig but I prefer a 2dr. myself.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
The fun factor quickly goes away if its a DAILY driver IMO. They are very loud on the highway. I could barely hold a conversation with the radio on, loud wind noise etc. Don't fall into the trap you hear on here that the JL is very quiet. Go test drive one going 70+ mph and see for yourself. Especially going against the wind.

I ended up going the other way. I went from a JL to a Tacoma and have no regrets. Honestly having a truck bed benefits me as we pretty much use it every weekend for truck duties.

My JL was problematic starting at about 16k miles. But it was a 2018 so a first model year. I traded it in for my TACOMA before the steering fix came out which was another tipping point for my decision. IMO the JEEP brand and WRANGLER are not the most reliable vehicle on the road and thats a FACT.

However...... I loved it off-road. There is no question about it. If I didn't live in South Texas and could get to some good wheeling places within 1-2 hours I would try my hardest to afford bot the Tacoma and a JL. But to even see a decent trail from my location is at LEAST 5hrs away. Thats why the Wind Noise, and 60+mph speeds really got to me.

Its like others said. You have to really want a wrangler and be willing to accept its flaws because its really the only vehicle of its kind.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I daily drive mine -- 24,500 miles. No major issues. No steering complaints.

Yes, it's louder and is going to wander more than a normal truck due to the top situation and solid axles. Wind noise is common (and it will be loud if you live in an area that sees high winds). But my wife (as well as myself) didn't think it was that much louder than her 3 series BMW @ 75 mph. We do have the hard top headliner though, which we noticed made a large difference when we test drove the new ones.

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Outlawd, Is that the Warn Low Grill Guard? Don't mean to hijack the thread, PM me if more appropriate.
Yes it is. I made my own steel brackets to mount on frame under the plastic factory bumper.
Sponsored

Last edited: