Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
Have read some discouraging reports on the reliability of the JL at CR and other outlets.

So I can pull the trigger now on a 2021 or wait until 2022 when it will be the JL's 4th model year and hopefully all the problems are fixed. Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
All cars have owners with problems.

Jeeps are no different than others.
Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sahara w/the lsd and selec trac is real tempting. And I got to admit. the Sky One Touch is probably the tipping point
The Tacoma doesn't have auto 4wd? I figured they would. Weird. Ok yeah, I agree, if I lived somewhere with snow I'd get that. I'm not sure how the hard top (or soft top!!!) will feel on a really cold snowy day though.

Its loud, it doesnt drive straight, its too rough, it sounds funny, it squeaks, not enough room, the mpg’s suck, the dealer sucks
These are all 100% true lol. I love mine anyway. Well, I never had any steering/wandering issues, but it still requires more attention to drive.

Here's my suggestion: See if any rental lots have a wrangler to rent for a few days.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Have read some discouraging reports on the reliability of the JL at CR and other outlets.

So I can pull the trigger now on a 2021 or wait until 2022 when it will be the JL's 4th model year and hopefully all the problems are fixed. Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
The fact is Jeep owners are willing to sacrifice a degree of "reliability" for some fun and flair. If you are very concerned with reliability, perhaps it is best you stay with Toyota.

With regards to JK: no, it didn't. My 2015 JK Sahara was completely trouble-free; my 2018 JK Rubicon Recon wasn't.

It is not that all Jeeps are unreliable; it is just that with Jeep it is less predictable that you have a trouble-free experience.

BTW: Consumer Reports is absolute trash. Their sampling method would fail a Market Research 101 class.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Not true. Still on the fence

not happy w/my Tacoma PRO in snow which is big here for 4 months a year.

Sahara w/the lsd and selec trac is real tempting. And I got to admit. the Sky One Touch is probably the tipping point
I have all those options, and I love my Jeep! I haven’t had any problems in 12,500 miles, but I think your gut is telling you to keep the taco! Go with your gut!

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)

Tacomas are fine in the snow if they’re properly equipped. They need good snow tires and, like all pickups, weight added over the rear wheels.

And CR has never understood Jeeps.... Wranglers aren’t about fuel economy, sumptuous interior, precise steering, or a quiet ride, but the reviewers invariably bitch about all those things... Meanwhile, they’ve always loved the painfully boring Camry and Accord. Heck, CR even loved the Prius for goodness sakes — and they’re extremely dangerous due to the paper bag you have to wear over your head while you’re driving one.

Last edited:

Lioska

First Name
Alioscha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2011 JK for 3 years and not a single issue. Then I traded the JK for a new 2014 Toyota FJ cruiser that drove for 3 years as well with some minor problems with the transfer case.
Traded my FJ Cruiser for a 2019 Tacoma that only had it for a year and a half with no problems and traded the Tacoma (got a great trade in value) for a 2020 JLU.

I have enjoyed all of them but I like the 2020 JLU the most out of the 4. Too early to tell how reliable is but life it's too short, if you like it and have the money you should go for it.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
If I were to know what I know know, I wouldn’t have bought my JLUR. Jeep has the worst after purchase support I’ve ever experienced.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Jeeps are garbage compared to Toyota in terms of quality and workmanship. Chrysler and Fiat each in their own are the laughing stocks of the auto industry. Mine has been okay but it is not like my Taco where after 20 years it literally has had not a single issue at all. I still like my Jeep though. A lot of people on this forum are noobs. I’ve been driving Jeeps for a few decades now. The dealerships and FCA are pretty bad too. But it’s FCA you know what you’re taking a chance on.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

I went from a 2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road to a 2018 JL Sahara with Selec-Trac, and I’d do it again.

The Tacoma was surprisingly good in the snow. I replaced the OE Goodyear Adventurer tires with a set of General Grabber AT-X tires, which helped; other than that, it was all stock. But the JL with Select-Trac, rear LSD and KO2s is in a league of its own: the aplomb with which it tackles snow, ice, rain is simply amazing.

The Tacoma was built like a tank. But it had a list of annoyances that were hard to overlook: I never found a driving position that was comfortable for more than 30 minutes. The truck chimed, chirped and buzzed constantly; often for no apparent reason. The navigation looked like it had been developed 20 years ago. And WTF IS WRONG WITH THAT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION?!?!

Driving the Tacoma on 2-lane roads was utterly frustrating; the automatic transmission sapped out all the fun. That transmission alone was worth dumping that truck.

Unlike the 6-speed automatic on my Tacoma, 8-speed automatic on my JL is always on the right gear; and is smooth, refined, responsive and fast. And the V6 works beautifully with the automatic.

Thankfully, Tacoma held its value like a champ, so I didn’t lose my shirt when I sold it after six months.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried 51C90B62-9DC4-423A-B0AB-4ABD70F4E364

Jeep Wrangler JL Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried 4C1A8E3C-6B10-4C17-B87D-BDB14A5677B3

Sponsored

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
A few months ago I saw a report that Jeep had scored 11th on an initial vehicle quality survey, beating Toyota and Honda if memory serves... I scoffed at this a marketing BS. I got my JLUR in August and have 7000km on it in that time. To my surprise and shock, I have had not one issue with this vehicle. I've previously owned two Dodge Rams in the early 2000's, and know how painful Chrysler dealers in the US could be. But this Australian Jeep has been way above my expectations. We did a 2.5 week trip when it was a month old, towing a 1000 kg trailer averaged 12.5L/100km on 4200km trip (roughly 15 on 2200 miles with trailer and roof storage pod).

So far I'm very happy with it. It's an off-road beast stock! The auto 4wd would be a dream in the snow (but I'm semi-tropical, so may never see snow, just lots of sand islands) :)

(Photo is from a 4wd park, Janowen Hills here in Queensland, when the Jeep was 2 weeks old and I took her up a ravine with the Brisbane Jeep Club)

Good luck on your decision.

Capt Starboard
Jeep Wrangler JL Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried IMG_7616 2.JPG

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@Mustard
I have a 2020 tacoma trd pro and a 2020 wrangler jlu. They are both approximately 6 months old.
Tacoma 4500 miles
Wrangler 3000 miles.
Tacoma had a rubber roof water channel strip fall off at 1200 miles.
Wrangler has been in the shop 50% of its life. I'm not joking. In dealer shop currently for a bad transfer case...been in for 12 days so far.
This is my second wrangler. First one started having major issues at 37,000 miles. They were time consuming and expensive. My family and extended family all said what the hell? After they found out I bought another. Bottom line. (I'm going to get hated on for this) My experience is that Jeep makes a shitty product. Cool as hell...but you are going to have issues. Others on here will have different experiences. Get a general gist from everyone and decide accordingly. Pce

PS...I have a Sahara with 4A selec trac
Pretty much nailed it right here. A Jeep will be nothing like a Toyota, good and bad. Wrangler is a culture. Roll the dice and hope you are lucky. Isn’t going to get better in 22 as most have said the major stuff got addressed. Having said that a Wrangler is no Tacoma again good and bad.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
I looked at the JLUs in 2018, but went with a TRD Off-Road, because at the time it better fit my needs. A couple of recalls and the battery died at 24 months (apparently common), but the seating position is terrible (for me), so now I'm trying to decide what JL to order. No particular hurry since COVID has me working from home.) I've tried to talk myself out of Jeep #5, but I can't. CR went after Suzuki over the Samurai, when the Bronco II was more likely to roll over (I think they hate certain vehicles and then go after them). We currently have 2013 & 2014 JKs.... 2013 was bought in 2015 with 8,000 miles (early 3.6 head, but never been a problem). 2014 had a bad AC Fan switch (part of the Hard Top kit I added and covered under warranty). Both had brake calipers size at about 40k, but they sit a lot and the 2013 was on a Naval base for 3 years, soaking in salt air. Any new vehicle is a gamble, especially when the old vehicle is still reliable, but Jeep is an icon. (The Bronco may prove to be more reliable and actually improve upon the Wrangler, but but it's still not a Jeep). And if Wranglers were junk, they wouldn't have the resale value that they do.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon 2.2L TD - "Jacko" Punk'n Orange (Old - 2010 Jeep KK Cherokee)
Don't read too much into it. It is more likely for people to trash a random make of vehicle than praise it. A person can have many good experiences with a vehicle and say nothing BUT one bad experience and the thing is shit. I have had little to no problems over the years with any Jeep products i've owned or been around. The choice is easy, buy American
Outlawd, Is that the Warn Low Grill Guard? Don't mean to hijack the thread, PM me if more appropriate.
Sponsored