Sponsored

Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 X 2006 Ford Rangers and 1 B4000 work vehicles.
Have read some discouraging reports on the reliability of the JL at CR and other outlets.

So I can pull the trigger now on a 2021 or wait until 2022 when it will be the JL's 4th model year and hopefully all the problems are fixed. Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
Sponsored

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Don't read too much into it. It is more likely for people to trash a random make of vehicle than praise it. A person can have many good experiences with a vehicle and say nothing BUT one bad experience and the thing is shit. I have had little to no problems over the years with any Jeep products i've owned or been around. The choice is easy, buy American

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I maybe trust CR's opinion on blenders. Maybe. Wranglers, not so much. Plenty of folks have little to no issues with their JL (mine's been great - touch wood). A few have lot of issues. Kinda like most every brand.

No need to wait for a 4th year - FCA likely won't fix anything else, and if they do they're break something different. :idea:

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
They did! They still weren't perfect though lol.

I traded my 2015 JK for a 2020 JL. The 2015 had two issues in the time I owned it:
  1. The radiator leaked and was replaced under warranty. The first Jeep dealer I took it too claimed there was no leak and smelling coolant was normal. The second one couldn't make this excuse because I had it towed in when steam started coming from the radiator lol.
  2. The transmission's valve body started making "hoot" noises when shifting between gears. I brought it to the dealer and the part was replaced under warranty with no issues. They even apologized for the trouble!
That was it. Both of those issues are really common with JKs.

On my personal JL, the engine vibrates more than it should. I plan to get that looked at eventually. There's also a tiny bit of missing paint around the tailgate hinges. Sigh. Other than that, no complaints.

I think you've missed the worst problems if you buy a 2021. Common JL concerns are steering (pre-2021 model year builds).There are paint and electrical problems that can come up, but if you have those, they will make themselves known right away, not when your warranty ends.

To elaborate on the electrical thing - some people have reported issues with steering failing or their Jeep stalling out. Often it means the harness wasn't connected to ground tightly or a wire frayed or something. Another common problem is someone buys a Jeep that has been sitting on the lot a long time, and one of the 2 batteries fails. A failed battery is a little harder to detect since the non-ESS models have two of them. So one can "silently" fail, only to leave you stranded later on.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Stay with the taco. If you are already “worried” about the Jeep, you will be complaining about: Its loud, it doesnt drive straight, its too rough, it sounds funny, it squeaks, not enough room, the mpg’s suck, the dealer sucks, where do i buy a snorkel, a part fell off, eTOrqUe....

Or ditch the taco truck and get the best damn vehicle ever made

and cancel your subscription to consumer reports FFS.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
2021 is the 4th model year

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not true. Still on the fence

not happy w/my Tacoma PRO in snow which is big here for 4 months a year.

Sahara w/the lsd and selec trac is real tempting. And I got to admit. the Sky One Touch is probably the tipping point

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Not true. Still on the fence

not happy w/my Tacoma PRO in snow which is big here for 4 months a year.

Sahara w/the lsd and selec trac is real tempting. And I got to admit. the Sky One Touch is probably the tipping point
Do you park inside or under cover? My wife loves her sky one touch, but the Jeep lives outside no cover. It snows here and I hadn't thought of how I would clean the snow off. I just decided I'm going to build a carport for the Jeep. I've read on here guys use a soft bristle broom to clean the top off, but to be honest I'm freaked about damaging the top.

I'm sure you aren't looking at a diesel as you didn't mention it, but if you opt for that engine you can't get the nice selec-trac transfercase in the sahara as it won't take the torque of the diesel.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
@Mustard
I have a 2020 tacoma trd pro and a 2020 wrangler jlu. They are both approximately 6 months old.
Tacoma 4500 miles
Wrangler 3000 miles.
Tacoma had a rubber roof water channel strip fall off at 1200 miles.
Wrangler has been in the shop 50% of its life. I'm not joking. In dealer shop currently for a bad transfer case...been in for 12 days so far.
This is my second wrangler. First one started having major issues at 37,000 miles. They were time consuming and expensive. My family and extended family all said what the hell? After they found out I bought another. Bottom line. (I'm going to get hated on for this) My experience is that Jeep makes a shitty product. Cool as hell...but you are going to have issues. Others on here will have different experiences. Get a general gist from everyone and decide accordingly. Pce

PS...I have a Sahara with 4A selec trac

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mustard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea. Those are the horror stories that scare me. I may wait until 2022 model year. Can’t believe any major issues wouldn’t be fixed by then.

as far as cleaning the snow off Sky One Touch. This.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried 3E22EC4B-51FF-4BC7-8B62-C3A8C1B3C21A

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Yea. Those are the horror stories that scare me. I may wait until 2022 model year. Can’t believe any major issues wouldn’t be fixed by then.

as far as cleaning the snow off Sky One Touch. This.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coming From a Tacoma...Should I be Worried 3E22EC4B-51FF-4BC7-8B62-C3A8C1B3C21A
I wouldn't assume later years will be less prone to issues. My 2018 has been great. Went to dealer for one issue with a valve cover leak. Was a minor issue and fixed quickly. No other issues at all... I've read about more issues on later years than mine and laugh when I see people say maybe certain issues will be resolved with the new model year. 2019, 2020, 2021, etc and my 2018 has been great. I think most, even from 2018 on, have been fine. Forums always bring out the minority with problems looking for a fix which is a good thing...

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Have read some discouraging reports on the reliability of the JL at CR and other outlets.

So I can pull the trigger now on a 2021 or wait until 2022 when it will be the JL's 4th model year and hopefully all the problems are fixed. Did the JK get better toward the end or are Jeeps just going to be prone to problems?
Here is the thing: many buy Jeeps and then try to modify them either by themselves without the proper experience or by going to a cheap shop. Then when the Jeep gives them issues they start to question reliability.

Honestly speaking if you have a lot of good experience in modifying yourself or dont cheap out and go to a good (read expensive) shop, its no where near as bad. Many stock Jeeps tend to last a very long time if we only follow the manufacturer's recommended guidelines as shown in the manual. Not just a Jeep, that goes for any vehicle. Problem is a lot of people do not.

Trust me and pull that trigger on a Jeep. You are in good hands.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I’ve owned two pickup trucks before and it did not cross my mind to consider a truck as an alternative to the Wrangler.

I was planning on getting a 4Runner but the prices for comparable vehicle were $10k more for the Toyota and the test drives of the vehicle handling dynamics on pavement left me extremely unimpressed. Lots of body roll just pulling out of its parked spot at the dealer lot. Felt really wobbly and too heavy, bloated and unsure of itself. Wrangler is no ballerina but it felt much more solid on its feet.

Fit and finish of the Wrangler feels obviously cheap compared to other vehicles in similar price range. However it is great fun and the soul of the machine is perfectly attuned with its design intent as if there was a cohesive vision behind its execution. Most modern vehicles today appear to have been designed by committee to find a balance between various compromises. The Wrangler is unapologetic in its identity.

I don’t expect top notch quality from FCA. I knew that going in. Buying a Toyota is like choosing a spouse based upon her resume. I know first hand (about the Toyota, not the spouse thing) because I email-ordered my super dependable Toyota through my credit union, sight unseen and it has been terrific for its intended purpose of being a boring family hauler. Oil changes and one set of tire replacement throughout 100,000 trouble free miles. On the other hand, buying a Wrangler is like Britney Spears getting married in Vegas (including maybe the quickie divorce). It’s gonna be fun while it lasts and it just might last a long time. Go ahead and take the plunge if you are young, poor and stupid. Or take the plunge if you are old enough to know what to expect and have the wherewithal to afford what surprises come your way.

The only vehicle that consistently let me down with its reliability and the cost of repairs was a Ford Taurus. I was the original owner and after 36,000 miles things just started breaking. But that was several platform generations ago and even today’s FCA vehicles are so much better than what Detroit was cranking out in that era.

Hey, in the end it’s your money. A car is a depreciating asset. It’s not an investment. Consider how much budget and loss of time you are able to set aside for maintenance and plan accordingly. No matter what vehicle you choose it would be foolish to do otherwise.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Buy it. They are so much fun. I have a 2 door 2019, pre 2021. Drives straight as an arrow, 0 steering issues. The only issue was with the front seats release mechanism breaking when it had 100 miles. It has 12k miles and dealers have not been able to fix it....

I think my story has to do more with dealers than wranglers. Basically a reliable vehicle, but if you run into any issue, pray that the dealer is competent enough to fix it.

I think the current issue with FCA is that they dont provide enough detail information to dealer techs on how to fix issues. Thats what the last dealer told me, I was fired up because it is the 3rd dealer looking into my seats and have been trying to fix it for over a month... and they honestly told me they just dont get enough support from FCA and are learning as they go. My first issue was actually quite common and easily fixable, but the first dealer ruined my seats and it has been a nightmare since. True story....
Sponsored