JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Looking at the following:
Baja Designs LP6 (Seems overkill for my needs)
Baja Designs LP4
Baja Designs Squadron Pro

I'm not. looking for high speed needs. Poking around trails and campground as needed in PM and AM

Any other recommendations?
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Hella 500 or 700. They can be had in fog or driving pattern. They are inexpensive (less than $100), well made, rugged and have good light output. I use a combination of both 500 fogs and 700ff driving lights on another rig and Hella 700ff on my Jeep. If you're traveling less than 55 mph, they light up the night. If you're looking for performance, it's hard to beat Hella. If you're looking for economical, it's hard to beat Hella. If you're looking for well-made, it's hard to beat Hella. In fact, the 500/700-series lights are Hella good.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the following:
Baja Designs LP6 (Seems overkill for my needs)
Baja Designs LP4
Baja Designs Squadron Pro

I'm not. looking for high speed needs. Poking around trails and campground as needed in PM and AM

Any other recommendations?
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Baja Designs are a perfect buy once and cry once choice.

I have a pair each of the white Squadron Pros floods and spots on my a-pillars. The spots are mounted inboard and aimed straight ahead, and the floods are outboard and aimed out to the sides about 45° to serve as both ditch and flank lighting.

I also have 2 pairs of amber LP4 Pros with the spot/wide cornering combo lenses on the front bumper. I have all 4 aimed straight ahead with their spot patterns lined up next to each other like toy soldiers. I would've liked one pair to be just spots and the other floods, but that isn't an option on the ambers.

The white spots and floods on the a-pillars are on their own switches and so are the inner and outer pairs of ambers on the front bumper.

Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 20210512_195756_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 20210128_132835_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 20210218_223044
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 20210218_223121
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 20210131_185424

OP
OP
JeepVT

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Nice. Thanks for throwing that up. I think the Lp4s ambers are the way I want to go.

I only have room on my bumpers for 1 light on either side.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. Thanks for throwing that up. I think the Lp4s ambers are the way I want to go.

Each LP4 Pro is just under 9000 lumens. A pair doubles that. Here's a pic with just 1 pair of them lit up. Only other lights I had on in this pic were running lights...
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 20210127_200100

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Definitely overkill for what you said was your intended purpose.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Looks Great Mike!!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

i love my baja designs lights. i have a pair of lp4 clear driving combo on the bar. pair of squadron sport amber driving combo on the bumper. and a pair of squadron pro clear driving combo on the a pillar. they light up the road nicely.

infact, i'm looking to swap out my a pillar lights to a another pair of lp4 either in a driving combo or spot. i may pick up a lp4 amber to put on my bar and put the clear on the a pillar.

heres a pic of my setup. sorry for the crappy pic. gotta get a better one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 1636862715701

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i love my baja designs lights. i have a pair of lp4 clear driving combo on the bar. pair of squadron sport amber driving combo on the bumper. and a pair of squadron pro clear driving combo on the a pillar. they light up the road nicely.

infact, i'm looking to swap out my a pillar lights to a another pair of lp4 either in a driving combo or spot. i may pick up a lp4 amber to put on my bar and put the clear on the a pillar.

heres a pic of my setup. sorry for the crappy pic. gotta get a better one.
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation 1636862715701
Yeah, those lights are like daylight on a switch...
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation tenor (7)

The LP4's are pretty damn bright. If it were me, I'd do dedicated spots on the a-pillars. The set of combos on the front are brightening the immediate area, so being able to throw some light further ahead would be nice. Plus, less hood glare than having a set of floods there. Just thoughts.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Yeah, those lights are like daylight on a switch...

The LP4's are pretty damn bright. If it were me, I'd do dedicated spots on the a-pillars. The set of combos on the front are brightening the immediate area, so being able to throw some light further ahead would be nice. Plus, less hood glare than having a set of floods there. Just thoughts.
yeah. i'm thinking of running spots on the a pillar since the combo does a awesome job on the front bumper. now i just need a good sale on the lp4s. :like:

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Do any of you wire the driving lights to be triggered by the high beam circuit and not on separate switches? If so, where are you sourcing the power for the trigger?

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Do any of you wire the driving lights to be triggered by the high beam circuit and not on separate switches? If so, where are you sourcing the power for the trigger?
Most are using their aux switches I would imagine.
Can you not tap into a headlight wire? Personally I would prefer more finite control over some driving lights but it's your rig.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". Baja Designs are a perfect buy once and cry once choice.

I have a pair each of the white Squadron Pros floods and spots on my a-pillars. The spots are mounted inboard and aimed straight ahead, and the floods are outboard and aimed out to the sides about 45° to serve as both ditch and flank lighting.

I also have 2 pairs of amber LP4 Pros with the spot/wide cornering combo lenses on the front bumper. I have all 4 aimed straight ahead with their spot patterns lined up next to each other like toy soldiers. I would've liked one pair to be just spots and the other floods, but that isn't an option on the ambers.

The white spots and floods on the a-pillars are on their own switches and so are the inner and outer pairs of ambers on the front bumper.

Hey Mike where did you tap in for the running light /DLR lead hookup?

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
I wired up mine by tapping into the high beam light feed to trigger a relay that is fed it's main power from an AUX switch. With the aux switch off, head lights work as stock oem set-up.
For the wiring, if you're familiar with relays and the numbering of the pins on them the connections below will make sense. automotive relays have a standardized pin labeling.
86-tied into high beam light feed (see pictures below)
30-connected to one of the aux switch 15 amp feeds
87-connected to the positive line to the aux light
87a- not used(be sure to seal up the exposed end as it will be live when aux switch is OFF)
85-grounded to ground peg on fender by the aux wire leads along with the ground for the lights.

I got my high beam feed from the harness that is on the passenger side just above the head light. It is the white wire with the grey tracer.
My JL is a 2021 Sahara Unlimited Eco-diesel, so I wouldn't think these wires would be any different on different models but you can check it for yourself. I just unplugged this connector and used a voltmeter to figure out which one was live with the high beams on if you want to double check. I have the OEM led lights and in my testing on a drive last night I didn't get any codes or warnings due to the high beam being used to trigger two relays at the same time. I've done this exact same tie in on my 2018 and 2014 Ram 3500 trucks with no issues as well from the little extra load the relay trigger lines draw on the high beam feed.
In the image below, the smaller arrow is where I peeled back the OEM fabric tape and cut, and butt connected in my feed line for the relay trigger (could be done on the other side of the plug unit as well, more wire to work with). It is shrink tubed and then re-tapped.
Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation IMG_8707

Jeep Wrangler JL Combo/Drive Light Recommendation IMG_8706

I just finished installing BD LP4's, clear driving combo Pro's, yesterday on mine. Got these on AUX 3 and the ditch lights on AUX 4, both require the high beams to be on. I like it this way so that when you're on a back road and get surprised by an oncoming vehicle you're not panicking to kill high beams and an assortment of off road light switches. Just instinctively hit the high beam switch and you're good.
Test drove it last night and man are they bright!!! Like previously said, "the daylight switch"!!
Sponsored