Sponsored

Combating Overlander Squat

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
When I outfit my stock 2dr JLR with overlanding gear, I get a little more rear squat than I'd like. It's difficult to lighten up as the heaviest items are recovery gear, water and food. All mandatory for the unpopulated desert terrain I'm in. I don't have an extensive drawer and cabinet setup like many overlanders, I don't see the weight working out.

What's the best approach to combating this? What do overlanders do besides blatantly overloading their Jeep?
Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Similar issue for me in our 4 door in May but I’m great now.

A 2 dr might be more tricky this route, as in higher than my results, but I got 1” (on a 4 dr) Synergy springs. They sell in pairs fwiw. They might be worth a call for consultation.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same problem here. Solved it with the Wireless One set up from Air Lift. I installed the compressor in the rear cargo storage area and ran the wiring directly from the battery through the passenger side frame rail.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/compressor-systems/wirelessone/
https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60829/
Thanks, that looks like a perfect solution! Not all that expensive, adjustable and looks like a fairly easy install. I know I'm not overloaded, I'd just like a little extra help back there when I'm loaded up.

Have you put it to off-road use? Does it hold up to that?

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, that looks like a perfect solution! Not all that expensive, adjustable and looks like a fairly easy install. I know I'm not overloaded, I'd just like a little extra help back there when I'm loaded up.

Have you put it to off-road use? Does it hold up to that?
We've put it through some pretty rough use offroad, and yes, it works great.

Sponsored

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
You can get a different set of springs or in my case I got the JKS ACOS adjusters. I have 2" added to my rear for my load.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
I put airbags in mine, I don't tow my camper everywhere so only need that weight carrying capacity when overlanding or to and from camp. You can see the valves on the rear bar for inflating or deflating, 5psi for normal or offroad flex and 40psi for the camper and loaded up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Combating Overlander Squat 20210711_111249

Jeep Wrangler JL Combating Overlander Squat 20210711_112521

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We've put it through some pretty rough use offroad, and yes, it works great.
Well, that didn't last long. On the first trail I took the Air Lift 1000 popped along the seam. I wouldn't call the trail all that extreme either and didn't take it like a madman. Slow steady and reasonable. I'm thinking these bags ultimately aren't up to the task. They popped on what I would call normal use.

The trail was Millville Canyon, UT

Now I'm wondering if I should go for a warrantee replacement of the popped bag or just cut my losses and go for their 60-day no questions asked return policy?

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the thing, I don't particularly want a lift. Unlike most people, I have zero interest in the look of a lift & oversize tires. Stock Rubicon proportions are fine. In winter I need to run winter tires and I haven't found any any over 33", so I'm running 33's.

I'm fine with that as I find the stock KO2s more than capable enough for rough terrain and I don't want to reduce on-road performance or MPG. I'm trying to not make this sound like a humblebrag but I've had very little difficulty going over rather rugged terrain in my stock 2dr JLR. Just a little attention to wheel placement and I have yet to use the skid plates, even in sizable rock gardens. They did a good job designing the JLR.

What I do have difficulty with is when I'm loaded up with camping & off road gear. It becomes too easy to bottom out the rear suspension on the trail. I'm giving my rear bump stops a difficult life. One is already split. The other's skin is flaking off like it's been irradiated. And they've only seen 3k miles! It's like I'm running a bump stop extermination camp. This aggression cannot stand, man! So my issue isn't clearance below the axles, it's the clearance above them. A lift kit would help but with winter 33's my first thought is avoiding the big lift tiny tires thing. That's just silly. Might as well get an angry grille to round out the look.

I've ordered the Teraflex Falcon Progressive Front and Rear Bump Stop Kit for 0 to 4.50-Inch Lift as I obviously need new bump stops. But I wouldn't call that a solution. Hopefully they will be more durable than stock until I can find a solution.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Here's the thing, I don't particularly want a lift. Unlike most people, I have zero interest in the look of a lift & oversize tires. Stock Rubicon proportions are fine. In winter I need to run winter tires and I haven't found any any over 33", so I'm running 33's.

I'm fine with that as I find the stock KO2s more than capable enough for rough terrain and I don't want to reduce on-road performance or MPG. I'm trying to not make this sound like a humblebrag but I've had very little difficulty going over rather rugged terrain in my stock 2dr JLR. Just a little attention to wheel placement and I have yet to use the skid plates, even in sizable rock gardens. They did a good job designing the JLR.

What I do have difficulty with is when I'm loaded up with camping & off road gear. It becomes too easy to bottom out the rear suspension on the trail. I'm giving my rear bump stops a difficult life. One is already split. The other's skin is flaking off like it's been irradiated. And they've only seen 3k miles! It's like I'm running a bump stop extermination camp. This aggression cannot stand, man! So my issue isn't clearance below the axles, it's the clearance above them. A lift kit would help but with winter 33's my first thought is avoiding the big lift tiny tires thing. That's just silly. Might as well get an angry grille to round out the look.

I've ordered the Teraflex Falcon Progressive Front and Rear Bump Stop Kit for 0 to 4.50-Inch Lift as I obviously need new bump stops. But I wouldn't call that a solution. Hopefully they will be more durable than stock until I can find a solution.
I've had the same problem, not sure what the solution is. Keep this thread updated

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Well, that didn't last long. On the first trail I took the Air Lift 1000 popped along the seam. I wouldn't call the trail all that extreme either and didn't take it like a madman. Slow steady and reasonable. I'm thinking these bags ultimately aren't up to the task. They popped on what I would call normal use.

The trail was Millville Canyon, UT

Now I'm wondering if I should go for a warrantee replacement of the popped bag or just cut my losses and go for their 60-day no questions asked return policy?
What a pain, I had AirbagMan airbags installed in my JK for 3 years and did heavy offroad etc no problems at all, towing and not towing. They are very popular here in Australia and I always go the ones with the high pressure sleeve like in my pic to eliminate the chance of abrasion and limit the chance of puncture from a stick as well as allowing a higher pressure (max of 60PSI, I think the Air Lift 1000 is 35PSI). Never heard of these rupturing so maybe see if you can source them locally?

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a pain, I had AirbagMan airbags installed in my JK for 3 years and did heavy offroad etc no problems at all, towing and not towing. They are very popular here in Australia and I always go the ones with the high pressure sleeve like in my pic to eliminate the chance of abrasion and limit the chance of puncture from a stick as well as allowing a higher pressure. Never heard of these rupturing so maybe see if you can source them locally?
That sleeve did catch my eye. The AirBag 1000 doesn't have that and it certainly would have helped. But it looks like I'd have to order from AU and of course they're out of stock. No love.

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had the same problem, not sure what the solution is. Keep this thread updated
Update:
I haven't found anything to help with the squat when standing idle. No heavy duty airbags and It seems like stiffer springs are all lift springs. Seems kinda mandatory.

However what I have concluded is that the JLR OEM bump stops are terrible. Every overlander without a lift should replace them as you've probably already destroyed your bump stops (inspect them now!). I found two options for JLRs without a lift, one cheaper and one pricier but very likely better.

Cheaper option: JL: Progressive Bump Stop Kit – Front & Rear (0-4.5” Lift)
Made of high-density polyurathane. Certainly more durable than OEM and longer. Supposed to provide a progressive, softer landing when bottoming out. Has a limited lifetime warranty but only against factory defects, which won't include destruction from use. I ordered these and will follow up with my opinion of them.

Pricier but better option: Timbren Jeep JL Front & Rear Active Off-Road Bumpstop Package
Made of natural rubber. Designed for full off-road articulation with a soft controlled landing. Acts as a progressive rate spring which "means that instead of a hard stop at the end of axle travel the axle energy will be absorbed when bottoming-out producing smooth, predictable and quiet axle engagement and disengagement". Carries a lifetime warranty and a satisfaction guarantee. This should not be confused with the Timbren SES (Suspension Enhancement System) which looks very similar. The SES is not designed for off-road use, they are meant to be a helper spring to level heavy loads and will inhibit full off-road articulation. I'll move up to the Timbren bumpstops if the Terraflex stops don't cut the mustard.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
My squat on my JLURD, was so bad from all the extra mods I did to my jeep. The 2.5 inch lift lost 1.5 inches after the front and rear bumpers and full metal cloak skid plates. Plus add in the diesel engine and I only had a inch of space between the bump stops. Problem solved, ended up installing rock krawler 3.5 inch springs made for a diesel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Combating Overlander Squat 00BF760F-169C-4A93-B882-113C6D17727E
Jeep Wrangler JL Combating Overlander Squat B6A97987-ABD0-460A-A86D-7A12A2E656F5

OP
OP
Reinen

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An update on the JL: Progressive Bump Stop Kit – Front & Rear (0-4.5” Lift)

Made a huge difference in the bottoming out experience. I certainly compressed the bump stops but it never felt like I bottomed out at all. The suspension just gets firmer at a particular point in a completely smooth transition. Not jarring at all. No cringing whatsoever. Just points where I'm sure I hit the bump stops but it felt smooth and happy. So much so it felt like you "couldn't" bottom out. They just handled it. After cleaning them off they have zero visual signs of use whatsoever.

I don't consider this a full solution (they do nothing for squat) but I'm very happy I have these new bump stops over the weak factory stops. Completely different experience. Much less concern about actually bottoming out. Thumbs up.

Now to figure out what sort of springs to put in the rear that won't hike my ass up in the air when I'm unloaded. So far I have no clue.
Sponsored