Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
Hey Colorado people!

I'm heading out to Denver and Breckenridge for 2 weeks starting Tuesday the 11th for a friend's wedding and my bachelor party. I'm looking to get some trail intel - how are the trail conditions? Is there still too much snow at the higher elevations to make it to the summits?

Trails on my list for the Breckenridge area are:

• Georgia Pass
  • Pennsylvania Creek
  • Indiana Creek
  • Argentine Pass
  • Santa Fe Peak
  • Golden Horseshoe
  • Saints John
Anyone have any other good trail suggestions? As you can see by my list above, I'm not looking to hit anything particularly difficult - just looking for a good trail ride with good scenery that will still let me drive my Jeep back to Texas in 1 piece!
Sponsored

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Are you on FB? If so, check out the San Juan Mountain Trail Group. Great updates on trail conditions.

I’d toss in Imogene Pass and Black Bear Pass but I believe they usually don’t open until early July with some luck.

kelvinator

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Too much snow for those trails. I went wheeling around Chaffee county on Sunday (5/2) and the forest service gates are still closed, which are near the ~9,000 ft. elevation mark. Lot's of lower elevation trails are currently open in Four Mile (Buena Vista) and Bonanza (Salida) areas - good scenery and not difficult. More snow forecasted this weekend, BTW.

OP
OP
dna44

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
Are you on FB? If so, check out the San Juan Mountain Trail Group. Great updates on trail conditions.

I’d toss in Imogene Pass and Black Bear Pass but I believe they usually don’t open until early July with some luck.
I'm not on Facebook - I ditched that platform a few years ago.

I would love to hit the trails around Telluride and Ouray but I don't think it'll be possible on this trip due to some time restraints (as well as the snow). It looks like it's about ~5 hours or so from Breckenridge :(

OP
OP
dna44

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
Too much snow for those trails. I went wheeling around Chaffee county on Sunday (5/2) and the forest service gates are still closed, which are near the ~9,000 ft. elevation mark. Lot's of lower elevation trails are currently open in Four Mile (Buena Vista) and Bonanza (Salida) areas - good scenery and not difficult. More snow forecasted this weekend, BTW.
Good to know! I'll look in to some lower elevation trails.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You can try to get some info on Boreas Pass if you wish. I would be surprised if it’s open…. It might be …. I just don’t know. Easy drive (it’s really an “unpaved road” rather than a trail). Nice trip up and over the Continental divide from/to Breck.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ils-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/page-2

there are several posts on this thread about CO trails….. most will not be open yet, I think.

OP
OP
dna44

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
You can try to get some info on Boreas Pass if you wish. I would be surprised if it’s open…. It might be …. I just don’t know. Easy drive (it’s really an “unpaved road” rather than a trail). Nice trip up and over the Continental divide from/to Breck.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ils-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/page-2

there are several posts on this thread about CO trails….. most will not be open yet, I think.
Thanks for the info! I'll read through that thread. I saw Boreas pass and it looks like a cool drive - though it definitely looked like it was just an unpaved road. If that's the only option for getting off-pavement, then it is what it is!

At any rate, we'll be enjoying the trip either way and I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to the mountains and hopefully doing some fly fishing (though it also may be too early in the season for that as well)

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Another possibility is calling the local Natl Forest Service or BLM ranger district offices for any areas you think you might get to. Usually a good idea early season anyway - it is possible that roads may be closed from avalanche dead fall and washouts, etc. Sometimes it takes a bit into the season for the gov services or even local clubs to get out with chainsaws, etc.

OP
OP
dna44

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
Another possibility is calling the local Natl Forest Service or BLM ranger district offices for any areas you think you might get to. Usually a good idea early season anyway - it is possible that roads may be closed from avalanche dead fall and washouts, etc. Sometimes it takes a bit into the season for the gov services or even local clubs to get out with chainsaws, etc.
Good call - I'll reach out to the ranger's for White River National Forest.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for the info! I'll read through that thread. I saw Boreas pass and it looks like a cool drive - though it definitely looked like it was just an unpaved road. If that's the only option for getting off-pavement, then it is what it is!

At any rate, we'll be enjoying the trip either way and I'm definitely looking forward to getting back to the mountains and hopefully doing some fly fishing (though it also may be too early in the season for that as well)
Good luck!

FYI, the weather forecast has snow this Tuesday (likely at higher elevations…. I’m guessing over 6,000 feet). Be careful out there!

OP
OP
dna44

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
Good luck!

FYI, the weather forecast has snow this Tuesday (likely at higher elevations…. I’m guessing over 6,000 feet). Be careful out there!
Thanks for the heads up! I've been keeping an eye on the weather, and although I'm driving out there from Austin, TX I'm a New England native. Snow is nothing new to me, which means you can't be too careful.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks for the heads up! I've been keeping an eye on the weather, and although I'm driving out there from Austin, TX I'm a New England native. Snow is nothing new to me, which means you can't be too careful.
LOL. Having grown up in MA , I left NE not long after college and moved south —- spending time in various parts of TX and GA for 35 years — before moving to CO. I can absolutely tell you that the snow driving skills you learn at age 16 in New England are built into muscle memory ……….

HAVE FUN in Breck, etc. There is a great little walk up crepe joint in downtown Breck on Main Street —- crepes a la carte —- if you just want a Nosh as you walk. It takes a bit (I.e. “slow”) for them to make it and get it to you but it’s fun regardless.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
It is a nice drive, but regular passenger vehicles do it all the time, it's not challenging at all. it's just a dirt road but the scenery is nice. I usually do it every fall to see the aspen turn.

OP
OP
dna44

dna44

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Cybersecurity Ninja
LOL. Having grown up in MA , I left NE not long after college and moved south —- spending time in various parts of TX and GA for 35 years — before moving to CO. I can absolutely tell you that the snow driving skills you learn at age 16 in New England are built into muscle memory ……….

HAVE FUN in Breck, etc. There is a great little walk up crepe joint in downtown Breck on Main Street —- crepes a la carte —- if you just want a Nosh as you walk. It takes a bit (I.e. “slow”) for them to make it and get it to you but it’s fun regardless.
Ain't that the truth! We got about 8" of snow here in Austin this past winter and I had some fun with it while everyone else was having a mental breakdown. It's most definitely muscle memory.

I'll be in Denver from the 15th to the 17th - shoot me a PM if you want to grab a beer or something. My friend Chris and I will just be working remotely until the following weekend in Breck - he's also a fellow Masshole. đź‘‹
Sponsored