Sponsored

COLORADO JEEP PEEPS

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Also in the same area you can off road on Yankee Hill then when you come back down go across to St Mary's Glacier for some hiking: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/st-mary-s-glacier
and if you feel particularly froggy you can continue on to James Peak which is a nice 13er https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/james-peak-trail
James Peak would be a good one mid-Yankee Hill for an out of stater. Good call. IIRC the Yankee Hill Jeep trail crosses the James Peak hiking trail and let's you skip the climb up the glacier.
Sponsored

OP
OP
captnjbk

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon. 2017 Moto Guzzi V7.
James Peak would be a good one mid-Yankee Hill for an out of stater. Good call. IIRC the Yankee Hill Jeep trail crosses the James Peak hiking trail and let's you skip the climb up the glacier.
I noticed you use "alltrails". Have you tried "trailsoffroad" ?
Do you like one better then the other?

OP
OP
captnjbk

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're looking for some elevation you can drive up Kingston Peak. This will give you a good opportunity to drive up and do some additional hiking if you'd like. Close to Denver as well.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/kingston-peak
We do have Kingston Peak on the list. Mainly because there are so many trails in that area. Also we want to hit BeauJos Pizza in Idaho Springs.
We also want to Loch Lomond.
Do you air down when doing the "moderate" trails in that area? How low?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I noticed you use "alltrails". Have you tried "trailsoffroad" ?
Do you like one better then the other?
Alltrails is great for hiking, okay for MTB, and not good for 4x4. Trailsoffroad is great for 4x4, but I am not a fan of how they went to a paid model a year or two ago. Previously, everything was free on there to build their user base I assume.

Also check out the COTREX app that the state released. It's actually really good for offline nav and finding trails. If you cross reference it with research from TrailsOffroad or the FunTreks books, its a solid combo.

Sponsored

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I air down on the moderate trails just to make the ride more comfortable. Kingston Peak for example is not hard at all, but the whole trail is very rocky.
Same here. I drop to 18psi just to make the ride more comfortable on the babyheads

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
We do have Kingston Peak on the list. Mainly because there are so many trails in that area. Also we want to hit BeauJos Pizza in Idaho Springs.
We also want to Loch Lomond.
Do you air down when doing the "moderate" trails in that area? How low?
Jeep Wrangler JL COLORADO JEEP PEEPS Loch Limond lake.JPG

I Loved the Loch lomond lake, it's an amazing drive, nothing difficult but a fun drive. Kingston Peak is on your way down to the Lake. Like others have said, air down for the trail and to soften the ride. If the misses is back in town, I might be down for a run back to this. I am by no means a CO expert and wouldn't be able to guide you through CO but, I would love join.
Jeep Wrangler JL COLORADO JEEP PEEPS Kingston Peak2.JPG

OP
OP
captnjbk

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I Loved the Loch lomond lake, it's an amazing drive, nothing difficult but a fun drive. Kingston Peak is on your way down to the Lake. Like others have said, air down for the trail and to soften the ride. If the misses is back in town, I might be down for a run back to this. I am by no means a CO expert and wouldn't be able to guide you through CO but, I would love join.
Yes please try to join us. 2 Sting Grays would be cool. It will be me, my wife, and my son.
He's been living in CO for about 8 years now so he's gone full blown mountain man on me and refuses to ever come back to Texas.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Yes please try to join us. 2 Sting Grays would be cool. It will be me, my wife, and my son.
He's been living in CO for about 8 years now so he's gone full blown mountain man on me and refuses to ever come back to Texas.
LOL, we've been here for about 2 years, I want to stay and never leave, the wife an Okie wants to move back to Oklahoma when I retire here in the next couple years :puke:, Don't get me wrong, I don't mind OK, it's just the weather there (Texas too) is unbearable in the summers!

OP
OP
captnjbk

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, we've been here for about 2 years, I want to stay and never leave, the wife an Okie wants to move back to Oklahoma when I retire here in the next couple years :puke:, Don't get me wrong, I don't mind OK, it's just the weather there (Texas too) is unbearable in the summers!
So the plan at this point is to do Kingston Peak on Tuesday 8th. Hit all the area trails as time allows. Loch Lomond for sure.
Will do Red Cone on Wed or Thursday.
Will try to do Wheeler Lake another day if all goes well.
We're open to having others tag along. We'll be day trippin it from my son's house in SW Denver area.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I have to work, I'll try to see if I can swing a day off. being "mission essential" sucks... Sometimes!
Sponsored