Sponsored

Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR)

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Tailgate Reinforcement Installed!

The install was easier than anticipated and it looked easy enough to begin with.

EFCFEC83-CF97-40B3-96A5-D20F8AA1BC36.jpeg

Taped to ensure alignment, and carefully or not the bolts come out a bit chipped. Never to be the same, I'm sure no one will notice but me.

14BBBBF7-EF10-44F6-B6E5-A4B0281D0499.jpeg

714AB533-A012-4AD1-BC0F-E7F7B2106B88.jpeg

Before torquing any of the bolts they were all hand tightened and then the alignment was checked to make sure it was even on both sides.

09D46D2A-CCB7-44F9-8CA8-318783FA504C.jpeg

8F3EE758-B93B-4ED2-8CD7-A4409A656032.jpeg

A908EFCA-A5AC-48DB-8DC1-6394429CB671.jpeg

60F0D193-A589-4C4E-BC42-43B3592AC285.jpeg

All tightened down to the specified 35 ft-lbs on the main bolts and 13 ft-lbs on the carrier bolts. Now I can wheel with a bit less worry. :whew::rock:
Sponsored

Last edited:

LIVESTRONG

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Love this thread and your Jeep - it is honestly one of my favorites!!!

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Love this thread and your Jeep - it is honestly one of my favorites!!!
Thank you. I'm loving the Jeep myself.

Now for the fun part: The Lift

Currently thinking strongly about:

• AEV - well reviewed and ready for "overlanding" or camping as I like to call it
  • MetalCloak - I really love the ride and flex of this one, but they require a driveshaft
  • Mopar - much back and forth on people who love them and those who did not, but I do love FOX shocks
  • Evo's lift - Oh how expensive they can get, but the coilover systems are really ubar

Really, I wanted to avoid lifting this new Jeep. But I lose so much uptravel and shock control with the bigger tires. The stock shocks can't keep these heavy beasts in line and when I get on some rocks, the wheels rub the inner fender liner.

Last edited:

pokey02

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 JCW, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I'm loving the Jeep myself.

Now for the fun part: The Lift

Currently thinking strongly about:

• AEV - well reviewed and ready for "overlanding" or camping as I like to call it
  • MetalCloak - I really love the ride and flex of this one, but they require a driveshaft
  • Mopar - much back and forth on people who love them and those who did not, but I do love FOX shocks
  • Evo's lift - Oh how expensive they can get, but the coilover systems are really ubar

Really, I wanted to avoid lifting this new Jeep. But I lose so much uptravel and shock control with the bigger tires. The stock shocks can't keep these heavy beasts in line and when I get on some rocks, the wheels rub the inner fender liner.
I run Metalcloak (with Fox shocks) on my JKUR. Its a great lift. Jeep rides great on the road and does very well on the trails I like to goto.

With the JL, I wanted something different, for no other reason than just to do something different. I have the Mopar 2" lift (basically just the springs and shocks) and then added adjustable trackbars and control arms because I think it's an incomplete lift as sold. It drives great on the street. Am roadtripping to PA next week for Rausch Creek and AOAA, then back to FL. Will see how it does offroad.

Dont have any experience with the others listed.

mattz0r19

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6L Punk'n Metallic
Occupation
Engineer
Nice build man. I recently got a '19 JLUR in Punk'n from the same dealership as you.

Decided to go with the Teraflex ST3 3.5in lift and 37s that will be installed in a few weeks. Mixed feelings as my previous '15 JKUS was all-AEV.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I run Metalcloak (with Fox shocks) on my JKUR. Its a great lift. Jeep rides great on the road and does very well on the trails I like to goto.

With the JL, I wanted something different, for no other reason than just to do something different. I have the Mopar 2" lift (basically just the springs and shocks) and then added adjustable trackbars and control arms because I think it's an incomplete lift as sold. It drives great on the street. Am roadtripping to PA next week for Rausch Creek and AOAA, then back to FL. Will see how it does offroad.

Dont have any experience with the others listed.
I like the sound of the combo mainly because I think the Mopar kit would be more comfortable, while the Metalcloak bits would allow more flex. Though I think that's then limited to the Mopar FOX shocks? Look forward to your thoughts after Rausch Creek and AOAA.

Nice build man. I recently got a '19 JLUR in Punk'n from the same dealership as you.

Decided to go with the Teraflex ST3 3.5in lift and 37s that will be installed in a few weeks. Mixed feelings as my previous '15 JKUS was all-AEV.
Did you like the AEV? Why the change?

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
If you get the AEV I am highly interested in feedback as well. JLUR is my first Jeep, and looking at which lift kit to go to, but leaning towards AEV right now.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

mattz0r19

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I like the sound of the combo mainly because I think the Mopar kit would be more comfortable, while the Metalcloak bits would allow more flex. Though I think that's then limited to the Mopar FOX shocks? Look forward to your thoughts after Rausch Creek and AOAA.

Did you like the AEV? Why the change?
Yeah I really like their stuff, just a bit disappointed not everything is available for the JL yet. I'm looking at you awesome stubby bumper from SEMA.

I went back and forth a few times and decided that I wanted to give the Teraflex a shot. I also like things to match - lift, control arms, steering stabilizer, etc.

mattz0r19

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
If you get the AEV I am highly interested in feedback as well. JLUR is my first Jeep, and looking at which lift kit to go to, but leaning towards AEV right now.
You won't be disappointed with any of the AEV stuff.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
You won't be disappointed with any of the AEV stuff.
I've decided to get the MetalCloak lift. So flexy I will need to buy a driveshaft. Plus I've really wanted their lift since the last Jeep and was talked into going into the wrong direction. Just waiting for word on a Fox option. Really would prefer Fox shocks.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Lift Choice: MetalCloak Game Changer 2.5" Lift

So I'm going to get the MetalCloak lift, but damn I love the way she stands right now.

IMG_2274.JPG

IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

More to come...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads