Sponsored

Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR)

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
I also saw that idea, but before hand I'b been "looking" for things to "improve," as I tend to be a "nit-picky perfectionist" by nature - for as long as I can remember ! So, my immediate 1st thought on THIS and a few other areas . . . a Clear or Black colored silicone base or other waterproof based RTV product . . . like caulking around your bathroom shower. They make these adhesives in a number of "styles" - permanently pliable to rock hard !
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I bought a new Jeep to get back the on road ride quality for longer trips afield. The hope is to explore more and break down less.

I will build the Jeep for camping and exploring. The idea right now is to tow a trailer that will hold all the camping gear and have a rooftop tent for comfort and quick setup.

Plans may change, but I wanted to keep a running build log for any who might be interested.

View attachment 69591

Additions So Far

Why not one of the many off road worthy "teardrop trailers" - solves the problem of adding a bulky heavy top-heavier RTT.
Kitchens in the rear, bed and storage inside all nice and comfy and warm - and better protected with "real walls" !
the money you'll spend for 2 products ( the RTT's can get $$$ fast - remember "you get what you pay for").
The one I'd been looking at, before Ursa Minor option was an Oregon Manufacturer - darn if I can't remember the name.
A general search for Oregon Off road teardrops will get you there . . . I believe their off road version has TERRA as part of the name . . . darn, guess I'm getting old. Hope that helps. Options are a good thing.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I also saw that idea, but before hand I'b been "looking" for things to "improve," as I tend to be a "nit-picky perfectionist" by nature - for as long as I can remember ! So, my immediate 1st thought on THIS and a few other areas . . . a Clear or Black colored silicone base or other waterproof based RTV product . . . like caulking around your bathroom shower. They make these adhesives in a number of "styles" - permanently pliable to rock hard !
A caulk or silicone would make the fender a bit less able to break away on the trail. As noted elsewhere, it’s cheaper to replace plastic rivets than whole fenders. The tubing works without bonding.

Why not one of the many off road worthy "teardrop trailers" - solves the problem of adding a bulky heavy top-heavier RTT.
Kitchens in the rear, bed and storage inside all nice and comfy and warm - and better protected with "real walls" !
the money you'll spend for 2 products ( the RTT's can get $$$ fast - remember "you get what you pay for").
The one I'd been looking at, before Ursa Minor option was an Oregon Manufacturer - darn if I can't remember the name.
A general search for Oregon Off road teardrops will get you there . . . I believe their off road version has TERRA as part of the name . . . darn, guess I'm getting old. Hope that helps. Options are a good thing.
A teardrop is an option on my radar, but not at new prices. I will also need to sell the Subaru first to get room in the garage. It is better in some ways but I’m still not sure which direction is best for our needs.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A "bit less" able to break away . . . perhaps, but only if the jeep/occupant(s) are inclined to be more "daredevil-ish" or hardcore "rock fans"! I see it as a way to prevent possible "fender fly-away" scenario . . . that is supposing the screws or rivets (not sure which) do ALL get unattached - then the addition of the softer bonding RTV's could keep it from doing that? Of course anyone is capable of attempting to"test / verify" this theory . . . good luck ! :like: :idea: .
ps; hope I chose the appropriate emoji's !? ha !

As far as the RTT thing or Trailer / teardrop, . . . everyone has so many choices/options these days and unfortunately they are all getting rediculously more expensive every 6 months or year! Also the Waiting times are worse than for your new Jeep ! Planning ahead is essential, which makes decision making more intense . . . "oh, did I make the right choice?" :( :) . . . ? I'm going thru that NOW - when to order the Jeep & when to order the Ursa Minor Cap/RTT so they will be united as one within a few weeks of each other ! Heck we haven't even seen either 2019 versions of the JL RTT or JL for that matter !?

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Last edited:
OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Painting my Dash!

Following a post by @Code IV , I decided to pull my dash and paint it to match the body.

Some notes:

• Take your time.
  • Battery cables all separated, but power was still on until the two negative cables were separated.
  • Don't nick the plastic while prying the snaps loose because sanding it smooth later is a pain.
  • The SRS cover clips have an unbelievable death grip and suicide rather than let you pull them out.
  • Same for the dash cover. Driver's side held so fast I had to rip the plastic from their grasp and then collect them and use a screwdriver to bend them back into shape enough to go back on the clip tabs. OMG
  • Use a fine grit sandpaper (320+) and sponge to smooth and ready the surface.
  • Clean up with blasts of air and then a microfiber cloth and alcohol.
  • I used a base coat of Rust-oleum white primer instead of their random orange because it was too bright. Once it dries I'll use Mopar's spray paint "PE4" to color match. I plan to use two light coats of that and then a clear gloss finishing coat.

20181020_070630.jpg

20181020_071918.jpg

20181020_091727.jpg

20181020_094257.jpg

20181020_094318.jpg

20181020_094331.jpg

20181020_095729.jpg

20181020_100040.jpg

20181020_100702.jpg

20181020_100759.jpg

20181020_101850.jpg

20181020_102124.jpg

20181020_102911.jpg

20181020_103235.jpg

20181020_104021.jpg

20181020_105135.jpg

20181020_164719.jpg

20181020_165416.jpg

First coat of Punk'n!

20181020_182707.jpg

Might be starting over after time with finer sandpaper...

20181020_191802.jpg

After further sanding...

20181021_113549.jpg

I started painting again, to find that a 5 oz can just isn't enough. More on order. To be continued...

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
While the Jeep is offline, I decided now would be the time to pull the speakers and add some damping and fiber fill.

Holy freaking gig-saw puzzle with a million screws!

20181027_113123.jpg

20181027_115236.jpg

20181027_120750.jpg

This module behind the driver's side speaker is said to be the source of vibration when listening to talk radio. So I stuffed it a with a board wrapped in damping foam.

15406663438514725248662924760801.jpg

I am impressed with the speakers. They use neodymium magnets. I wonder how much better a motor they are for moving air now? I bought the upgraded Alpine system so that I wouldn't feel the need to mess with the audio. Guess I can't help myself. :cwl:

n1976jmk

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited 4 Dr. Sahara, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Installed the Hothead Headliners.

20180826_143316.jpg
20180826_143327.jpg
20180826_143351.jpg
20180826_143354.jpg

Very well built and easy to install. I'm glad I got them.
Question, did you follow there install directions of sanding all the area that the glue is going to attach to and then blow with compressed air the sanding dust off? I’ve been eyeing up the Hothead headliners for a couple months but don’t love the sound of having to sand so much and that dust getting everywhere.

Lastly, how big of difference do you notice with sound? With the Jeep staying cooler in summer? Or warmer in winter?

Thanks for your time!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Question, did you follow there install directions of sanding all the area that the glue is going to attach to and then blow with compressed air the sanding dust off? I’ve been eyeing up the Hothead headliners for a couple months but don’t love the sound of having to sand so much and that dust getting everywhere.

Lastly, how big of difference do you notice with sound? With the Jeep staying cooler in summer? Or warmer in winter?

Thanks for your time!
I did. There wasn't too much sanding required really it's just a light scratching where the tape will attach. Where a breather mask and butyl gloves to wipe down with acetone if you don't have air to clear the dust. If you do have air, dust it out and then wipe down with acetone. I didn't have too much dust as part of this cleanup.

Clean is key so do not skimp on the prep. IMHO

I've been very happy with the liner. I drove it a good bit without and thought it was very quiet, given my LJ, it was quieter after install. You can really tell in the rain. Getting in the Jeep after a long day in the hot sun is still warm but not as hot as before. I haven't had a winter with it yet, but it's really done a good job so far.

I'm currently damping speaker boxes and panels as well, and that's always made the world of difference in the past. I'd do that first if it's improved sound you are going for. Better bang for your buck to start with, then I'd still get the headliner. A solid improvement in my opinion.

I do intend to spend summers with a bikini top / Trektop NX, so your mileage may very. :beer:

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Gary,
Its looking good, cant wait to see it in Jeep
Thank you.

I still have some of the Mopar touch up paint. Thin as it is, I hope now I can get it to match without showing the darker plastic underneath or the grooves from coarse sandpaper.

1. Shouldn't have sanded with anything less than 320 grit
  2. Should have primed with the orange primer after all sanding was done
  3. Should have gotten a body shop to mix up the body color spray paint for me

LOL

I'll get a coat of PE4 on there and hope it matches, then the clear, and maybe it'll be dry and installed by Friday?

I do miss driving the Jeep.
Sponsored