Sponsored

Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR)

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
That's good to hear. How long did it take you to get through the process with Autonation?
Got the inspection on 9/23 and they had to order the parts. Gave them the Jeep in the morning on 10/14 and got it back after 5pm. Fairly painless. Good bunch over there.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2020 Raptor, 2019 Cayenne, 2009 911 C2S, 2005 911 GT3 Cup
Great write up and story. I’ve got a JLR 6sp and researching lifts. Leaning towards 2.5” w/ 35” for similar reasons you cited (lower center of gravity, lower unsprung weight vs. 37”, etc.). Additionally, leaning towards Metalcloak & KM3 tires. Two questions: how were on road manners with the MC RockSport shocks? Did you consider other shock options? Where did you finally land on steering mods and how would you describe the improvement? Appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Great write up and story. I’ve got a JLR 6sp and researching lifts. Leaning towards 2.5” w/ 35” for similar reasons you cited (lower center of gravity, lower unsprung weight vs. 37”, etc.). Additionally, leaning towards Metalcloak & KM3 tires. Two questions: how were on road manners with the MC RockSport shocks? Did you consider other shock options? Where did you finally land on steering mods and how would you describe the improvement? Appreciate your thoughts, thanks!
Love my MetalCloak lift. It's been great on and off road so far with lots of flex and still very comfortable. The KM3's are a bit louder, but more comfortable than the Pat's were and a lot more grip. We will see about snow though...

The RockSports are a good "all season" shock if you will. Flexy being the strong point, they are comfortable on the road without being too spongy, which means they are firmer. I'd prefer a bit firmer still on the road but they do handle much better than the stock shocks. Off road they are a bit too stiff and don't love the washboard roads. Airing down the tires helps a ton with comfort, but don't expect a cadillac out of these. Plus side is that they are cheap to buy when they wear out.

I have thought seriously about adjustable remote reservoir shocks. John @jlopes68 loves his TeraFlex adjustables and that may be the way to go for the price. I would really like a set of custom tuned but then we are talking more money than the full lift cost.

Steering is great but I did make some changes. Biggest was the TSB. Get it done unless you have a 2021 and then you are good. I also got Steer Smarts drag link and tie rod which are beefy as all get out. That was before MetalCloak released their tie rod. My track bars came with the lift and are great. I kind of like keeping to a system, so I'd get the MetalCloak tie rod now but you can't go wrong with Steer Smarts.

I did try the sector shaft brace from Synergy, and it did stiffen things up a bit. It's really expensive though and the real thing I want is the brace, which Steer Smart has for a bit less money.

I can't say how much improvement each bit added, but in the end I love the way the Jeep handles and steers. It's freaking great.

I would say absolutely get the game changer lift and at least the tie rod for piece of mind when adding the heavier tires. After that, wheel a bit and only add what you find you need.

Post up your results. I would bet you will love it too.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So took the Knotted Root release as an excuse to go ride into the hills with the pup.

EA0FDE70-E2EE-4021-B2FC-C33E88B3ABAD.jpeg

SO love the new steering with the MetalCloak lift firming things up a bit in the corners. No, it's not a sports car... but it's nice to drive through the hills without white knuckles.

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Who has been wanting a Sunrider for hardtop? (Love this thing.)

Bestop announced a sale.

MetalCloak too, though I haven't the cash to buy more stuff yet.

We went to go wheeling last weekend, but it turned into a long hike. On the way home we had to test the brakes when the truck in front of us stopped for a dog on the road. I had just looked down at the stereo and the wife yelled. Amazing how much better these brakes are to my old LJ. I'd have kissed the truck for sure. :whew:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Re-Gear Parts Ordered!

http://www.trailjeeps.com/

Finally got the 4.88 gears on order for installation at Trail Jeeps. Not cheap, but I do have high hopes for future runs up the mountains and on technical climbs.

MetalCloak diff covers painted in preparation.

Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) IMG_0673.JPEG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm also reconsidering the wheel and tire choice. As awesome as the KM3's are off road, they do not do well on icy roads. Deep snow doesn't seem to be an issue, but icy roads and I might as well have bald tires.

I should have kept the bronze Methods, but these are still calling my name:

Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) 1607903495363

Tire choices are down to another set of KO2's or Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Jeep Wrangler JL Colorado Adventures Continued (Punk'n JLR) 1607903731663

SO many different camp trailers out there. I'd really love on of those Patriot Campers, but will be more than happy with something 1/4th the price. (Still not cheap.) :facepalm: :CWL:

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I’ve never KO’s, but I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Can’t say I’ve been on ice yet to have an opinion there

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’ve never KO’s, but I love my Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Can’t say I’ve been on ice yet to have an opinion there
Thank you for the heads up. I've mixed feelings on a second set of KO2's because I liked the Patagonias better on ice and snow. I'm researching the Ridge Grapplers for icy reviews.

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm biased towards the KO2 because weight is a major factor for me. I can't say how they would compare to the Ridge Grapplers but I'm curious as well.

Oh and you are correct....those bronze wheels were awesome.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I'm biased towards the KO2 because weight is a major factor for me. I can't say how they would compare to the Ridge Grapplers but I'm curious as well.

They have load ranges for everyone, on my 2 door I have E rated 33’s, quite overkill. ;). They also have F rated and XL.

Last edited:

rockenrolla

First Name
Rock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Thank you for the heads up. I've mixed feelings on a second set of KO2's because I liked the Patagonias better on ice and snow. I'm researching the Ridge Grapplers for icy reviews.
My Falken Wildpeak A/Ts did great on my 8 hour drive back to Utah. A lot of guys vouched for them and now I can as well. Also, how do you find these great trails in CO? Word of mouth or a trail app maybe?

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My Falken Wildpeak A/Ts did great on my 8 hour drive back to Utah. A lot of guys vouched for them and now I can as well. Also, how do you find these great trails in CO? Word of mouth or a trail app maybe?
I either stumble upon them or meet up with someone who knows better than me. I've tried Gaia and All Trails and sometimes they lead to good trails, but quite a few times I end up in someone's driveway. And they are not usually expecting visitors.

Don't do that. lol

PS: I joined the local FaceBook groups too, and I've found a few great trips that way. Great people. One of the few pluses to FaceBook anymore. Find a good local group.

PSS: I thought those tires looked different than when I saw your Jeep. Did you buy those just before heading out?

OP
OP
Krondor

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Goin back to bronze. :like:

Method MR703's wrapped in Raptor rubber ordered.
Sponsored