DaneT16

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 F-150, 20 Wrangler Altitude Diesel
Hi All,

When I set out in the morning, or after it has been sitting for several hours, the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts are very slow. A lot of hesitation. When coming to a stop the 2-1 downshift will clunk into first. Enough of a clunk yesterday for me to let out an audible "oh shit". It seems to go away after the transmission has a chance to warm up, once the temp gauge in the instrument cluster starts to register some heat. Any one else have this issue? Add it to the myriad list of small problems I've had with this truck, and I only have 7700 miles on it. (Rear suspension sounds like a squeegee when cold, a dash rattle, an oil leak at the oil pan gasket and faulty gas struts in the rear window).

Thanks!
Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I haven't seen that issue with mine. Sounds like something the dealer should look at as a warranty claim.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
How long has it been acting like that?

Take it in and get someone to go for a ride with you. I'm thinking call and ask if one of the tech's or service writers can go for a quick ride with you. On Monday morning. Go drop it off Sunday night so it'll be cold. Get a ride in Monday and do your little demo trip.

If you just try to explain it to them you're gonna get the run around and have to bring it in 7 times just to be told "can't repeat customer complaint."

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a 3.6 now and mine does exactly this. It clunks enough to make crap in the back shift sometimes, and I worry about it when driving on ice. I've started shifting into N when I stop in order to avoid it. It seems to be worse when driving down a slight incline and seems to go away once it warms up. I've had it to three dealers a total of five times, and each time it comes back with "it's normal." It certainly is not. I also notice hesitation from a stop. I've even left it over night to ensure it would be cold when they drive it.

And... once it does this, it feels like it doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It elects to downshift, and then if I decide _not_ to stop, it's in the wrong damn gear and lurches forward due to high revs.

The first dealership I took it to told me there might be a software update coming, but nothing was ever confirmed and it's at the latest rev.

Jeep offered me a discount on a replacement because I've had it in a few times with no results. I'm now 11 weeks into my JLURD order (went with a different powertrain in hopes that it would help reduce the chance of recurrence). I decided to do this when the last dealer literally told me "sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better." To hell with that. I bought it to drive long distances with kids, I'm worried the transmission will fall out at this rate.

OP
OP
DaneT16

DaneT16

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 3.6 now and mine does exactly this. It clunks enough to make crap in the back shift sometimes, and I worry about it when driving on ice. I've started shifting into N when I stop in order to avoid it. It seems to be worse when driving down a slight incline and seems to go away once it warms up. I've had it to three dealers a total of five times, and each time it comes back with "it's normal." It certainly is not. I also notice hesitation from a stop. I've even left it over night to ensure it would be cold when they drive it.

And... once it does this, it feels like it doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It elects to downshift, and then if I decide _not_ to stop, it's in the wrong damn gear and lurches forward due to high revs.

The first dealership I took it to told me there might be a software update coming, but nothing was ever confirmed and it's at the latest rev.

Jeep offered me a discount on a replacement because I've had it in a few times with no results. I'm now 11 weeks into my JLURD order (went with a different powertrain in hopes that it would help reduce the chance of recurrence). I decided to do this when the last dealer literally told me "sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better." To hell with that. I bought it to drive long distances with kids, I'm worried the transmission will fall out at this rate.
Thanks for the reply- That sounds very familiar. I live in a hilly neighborhood and it’s sounds like I’m having the same problem. I love the power train on this thing but I feel like it’s falling apart already. Worried that the Jeep Dealer here in Seattle is going to give me the same BS answer.

Sponsored

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have a 3.6 now and mine does exactly this. It clunks enough to make crap in the back shift sometimes, and I worry about it when driving on ice. I've started shifting into N when I stop in order to avoid it. It seems to be worse when driving down a slight incline and seems to go away once it warms up. I've had it to three dealers a total of four times, and each time it comes back with "it's normal." It certainly is not. I also notice hesitation from a stop. I've even left it over night to ensure it would be cold when they drive it.

Jeep offered me a discount on a replacement because I've had it in a few times with no results. I'm now 11 weeks into my JLURD order (went with a different powertrain in hopes that it would help reduce the chance of recurrence).
Thanks for the reply- That sounds very familiar. I live in a hilly neighborhood and it’s sounds like I’m having the same problem. I love the power train on this thing but I feel like it’s falling apart already. Worried that the Jeep Dealer here in Seattle is going to give me the same BS answer.
Pittsburgh and each time I go to Seattle, I always feel like it's the same city, but you've an ocean. So yeah, that checks out. This is the only problem I've had, but it feels like a time bomb. Since trade in values are so high, I figured I'd just swap it out. I did regret not getting the diesel to begin with.

That said, I also didn't expect a three month wait for it's replacement.

OP
OP
DaneT16

DaneT16

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pittsburgh and each time I go to Seattle, I always feel like it's the same city, but you've an ocean. So yeah, that checks out. This is the only problem I've had, but it feels like a time bomb. Since trade in values are so high, I figured I'd just swap it out. I did regret not getting the diesel to begin with.

That said, I also didn't expect a three month wait for it's replacement.
Yea I've shopped it's value on Carmax, and it's more than I ended up paying for it. I bought it last November, in the middle of covid and got it for 15% below sticker. Going to have a hard time getting that kind of deal again.

mcjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
New one came in today and it’s a world of difference. No “bump” at all. It’s night and day. Try test driving another one if you haven’t, you’ll get a better feel for what’s “normal.” For then to claim there was no issue after having my the new one? Nonsense.

OP
OP
DaneT16

DaneT16

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turns out the transmission pan gasket had a leak. Dealer replaced it and filled it back up with fluid. Seems to be fine now, though I am concerned that there is longer term damage, last time I checked it's bad for a transmission to run without fluid in it...

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Turns out the transmission pan gasket had a leak. Dealer replaced it and filled it back up with fluid. Seems to be fine now, though I am concerned that there is longer term damage, last time I checked it's bad for a transmission to run without fluid in it...
I would ask for an extension to the warranty because of the identified leak.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I agree with another poster about asking for an extended warranty to cover it.

Luckily automatic transmissions are a bit self protecting, usually the torque converter will run out of fluid before the actual transmission gearing does (I'm sure there is a Jeep tech on the forum that can correct me if I'm wrong).

Coastalkid

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited Diesel
With the Engine warmed app 25miles, stopped at a light went to accelerate, 1st gear slipped pretty hard then this came up. Went into limp mode. No faster than 35mph. 19k miles trouble free???

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Transmission Issues CAB7E4FE-08E5-4950-A981-E8A88CAE42F7
Sponsored