Sponsored

Cold start sputtering

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Anybody else getting this? Happens almost every time I start in the morning after a cold night (sound on)
Sponsored

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
nope

looks like a compression/turbo issue. i know the maps have a higher idle at startup. but somethin' def not right and should see a dealer before you blow more $

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Anybody else getting this? Happens almost every time I start in the morning after a cold night (sound on)
Hi @elduderino83 !

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you're having. We kindly recommend setting up an appointment with your Jeep dealer to get this properly diagnosed. If you'd like additional support while working alongside your dealer, please do not hesitate to send our team a private message!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Category5Bronado

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Mine is aggressive on cold starts but not like that. How many miles? What temperature?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Has your drivability been affected? Any noticeable differences in power or odd shifting?

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
That's most definitely a cold cylinder on start up. They'll end up putting a new plug in it, is my guess. Mine definitely does not do this. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
nope

looks like a compression/turbo issue. i know the maps have a higher idle at startup. but somethin' def not right and should see a dealer before you blow more $
Not sure what you mean by blow more $. It's still under warranty and I haven't put any money into fixing it.

OP
OP
elduderino83

elduderino83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0l
Mine is aggressive on cold starts but not like that. How many miles? What temperature?
12,000 miles. I haven't been paying attention to the temp when it does or doesn't do this. But it did this morning and i don't think it got below 45 over night plus it was in the garage.

Sponsored

Grooster

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Unlimited Rubicon, 2016 Cherokee Latitude
Occupation
IT Director
26K here & the Jeep sits overnight in the driveway. No issues.

fitz1015

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
We are having the same problem with our JL. Took it to the dealership and they replaced all sparkplugs and two injectors. After we picked it up ran fine for a week and now it's back. We have no check engine light. Only thing is the auto/start will disable while driving. going back to the dealership Monday.

Here is a video of our problem.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We are having the same problem with our JL. Took it to the dealership and they replaced all sparkplugs and two injectors. After we picked it up ran fine for a week and now it's back. We have no check engine light. Only thing is the auto/start will disable while driving. going back to the dealership Monday.

Here is a video of our problem.

Hi @fitz1015 !

Please do not hesitate to follow up with our Jeep Cares team if you would like any additional assistance after visiting your dealer today! We'd hope everything works out smoothly.

Courtney
Jeep Cares

fitz1015

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu
Nope. Only does this for 10-20 seconds then runs just fine
not sure if you have taken your jeep into the dealership yet or not. but we both seem to be having the same problem.

after them replacing
1 injector
4 sparkplugs
o2 sensor

they are now saying my turbo is bad and they are going to replace it. its going to take them 3 to 5 days to get the part in. I'll follow up after that.
Sponsored

Last edited: