Sponsored

Cold feet on doing the long drive - any shipping advice or experience?

gus2k

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Picking up my 4xe rubi in GA next month and need to get it to.. CA. I'm getting a little bit of cold feet on making the 2500 mi drive, mostly because my partner probably can't make it = extra boring. Also a touch of paranoid about some of the 4xe-specific issues I've read about..

Has anyone used a shipper for this sort of distance? Any general advice (or regrets), or any specific recommendations for this route? I know covered is the better/safer (and costlier) way to go. If you have a shipper you liked, that kind of rec is certainly welcome too.

Alternatively, if you did it & enjoyed it & feel like persuading me to 'just do it', thats fine too :)
Sponsored

getlm00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
I just completed shipping my daughters Wrangler from NJ to CA. You deal with brokers, that then secure a transporter. It's not like Amazon, you need to remain flexible and the price ranges. NJ to CA cost my $1,500

P.S. I didn't do enclosed, they transporter was great, and keep my informed, it took about 8 days to get there, they pick up and drop off other cars.

Looks like Jeep need to ride on the top of the trailer.

OP
OP

gus2k

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Ah, that's reassuring re open transport, and less cost that I was expecting. How did you find/select your carrier/broker? Wondering if I should ask the dealer or go it alone. thanks!

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I just completed shipping my daughters Wrangler from NJ to CA. You deal with brokers, that then secure a transporter. It's not like Amazon, you need to remain flexible and the price ranges. NJ to CA cost my $1,500

P.S. I didn't do enclosed, they transporter was great, and keep my informed, it took about 8 days to get there, they pick up and drop off other cars.

Looks like Jeep need to ride on the top of the trailer.
Any damage?
What company did you use?
Did they just drop it at your house?

getlm00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Ah, that's reassuring re open transport, and less cost that I was expecting. How did you find/select your carrier/broker? Wondering if I should ask the dealer or go it alone. thanks!
Mine was a used Jeep 2018, not a new baby, I used Mercury Auto Transport - they are the broker, they will bid it out to transporters. Not sure how it works with the dealers. Mine was home to home. You should check with the dealer and any liability. They do take pictures when they pick it up. And the broker and transporter are insured. But it was very stressful and you need to have flexibility

Sponsored

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
If you are not time constrained, it could be an enjoyable trip.

For me, I typically don't do more than 400 miles per day, and check out towns and cities along the way. Of course, this all depends on if you enjoy doing this sort of thing solo. Cost-wise, 5 nights of hotel, food, and gas would still come in under ~$1500 for transport.

getlm00

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Any damage?
What company did you use?
Did they just drop it at your house?
No damage - really nice guy
Mercury Auto Transport. - they are a broker and will match you to a transporter - its a crazy process
both pick up and drop off we’re 5 min from the homes due to the trailer limits.
Also it was cash.
it reminded me of the show - shipping wars. :)

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
No damage - really nice guy
Mercury Auto Transport. - they are a broker and will match you to a transporter - its a crazy process
both pick up and drop off we’re 5 min from the homes due to the trailer limits.
Also it was cash.
it reminded me of the show - shipping wars. :)
Thank you for the info.
I'll contact them.

kumbaya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4XE
i am doing this in a few weeks for fun. from DC to CA; will stop through GA along the way

nervous about 4xe issues too. i think those issues are in the minority and maybe that newer jeeps coming off the line dont have the same errors as previous ones

Zukoda

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Currently on a road trip (Florida, Texas, Colorado, Wisconsin, and back to Florida). So far so good - I find the Jeep easy to drive long distance as it is not so smooth as to lull me to sleep but easy enough to control on the highway. My thoughts were that anything can go wrong with any machine at anytime - and the odds are pretty much the same no matter what I would be driving and when I would be driving it. Might as well enjoy the ride rather than stay home out of fear of possibilities.

Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

Vrrooom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My thought is if you can spread out the trip over 5 days, absolutely do it. Plan multiple stops, do some sightseeing, and enjoy the new vehicle. Sometimes that solitude seems intimidating but it can be truly rewarding if you embrace it.

Don’t worry about the potential issues. It’s a new car and what you read online is always the worst. If you do have an issue, there are plenty of dealers around and that can be part of the adventure in owning your new Jeep.

I recommend planning appropriately and doing your own self checks before starting the trip. Such as- check all fuses are seated, torque down the wheels, check tire pressure, fluid levels, battery connections, check the suspension for everything buttoned down and no wobbly or loose parts, and then go enjoy it!

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I and several friends have used Montway to ship cars cross country. My car was shipped from Boston to Houston enclosed for $1300ish on Montway. Picked up on a Friday and dropped off at my door the following Tuesday. Would definitely recommend them.

Grizzly49

First Name
Zero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
I used Montoya a few times, which is a broker... My 2 cents, open long haul, put a tight cover put on as crush bugs and sun can ruin paint. Plus open exposes to stone or dings/scratches. Just go enclosed.

rjive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
Picking up my 4xe rubi in GA next month and need to get it to.. CA. I'm getting a little bit of cold feet on making the 2500 mi drive, mostly because my partner probably can't make it = extra boring. Also a touch of paranoid about some of the 4xe-specific issues I've read about..

Has anyone used a shipper for this sort of distance? Any general advice (or regrets), or any specific recommendations for this route? I know covered is the better/safer (and costlier) way to go. If you have a shipper you liked, that kind of rec is certainly welcome too.

Alternatively, if you did it & enjoyed it & feel like persuading me to 'just do it', thats fine too :)
I made a trip similar this year when buying our JLUR. Originally, I was dead set on shipping. Travel time was during inclement weather and I had a limited time out of the office in order to complete the journey. Travel from midwest back to Bay Area California.

One bad day at work flipped that and I thought: "I can use time away from this computer screen."

It was one of the best decisions that I made.

The trip was boring. Took the southern route to avoid bad weather. Hated driving through West Texas. All the things you're feeling a bit anxious about the boring drive are true :)

However, what I didn't expect was that I would find the biggest benefit: disconnecting. Solely focusing on the drive.

Driving 8-10 hours a day only focusing on the road/environment around - I could not really look at my phone while completing the solo drive. I put on music, loudly, and sang my heart out going through all my favorite playlists. I listened and caught up on my favorite podcasts. I saw beautiful sunrises and sunsets from the picture frame of our new JLUR. Turning your focus to the road, the next stop, the boring scenery and away the many distractions in life for a handful of days was a well needed break.

This was so therapeutic - I'm thinking of doing something similar (next time feeling cooped up). Simply flying to a destination and taking a few days to drive back home in a one way rental car. Sounds a bit stupid when you write it out - it felt amazing.

Good luck in whatever your decision. If you do the road trip - I suggest making a bit of a travel journal (pictures, thoughts, experiences on the road etc). I wish I would have more than a few quips and text messages to my wife to look back on.
Sponsored