CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless4now
Occupation
Tired Again
Getting close to the decision on a new Wrangler and wondering about keeping the 4xe vehicles tethered to an outlet in unheated parking. In the case here, vehicle use is no more than several time per week on errands and such. We experience, during a rough winter, some consecutive days below zero F and many days below freezing. To keep a healthy state of the battery packs requires heating and cooling, according to the owner manual. Without any real science to prove it, I am thinking the savings of going to electric fuel could be lost to the heating requirements of a cold winter.

Has anyone else considered this in their cold climate location?

Advertisement

cutandrun

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 turbo, Mercedes G550, Rubicon 4xe
Getting close to the decision on a new Wrangler and wondering about keeping the 4xe vehicles tethered to an outlet in unheated parking. In the case here, vehicle use is no more than several time per week on errands and such. We experience, during a rough winter, some consecutive days below zero F and many days below freezing. To keep a healthy state of the battery packs requires heating and cooling, according to the owner manual. Without any real science to prove it, I am thinking the savings of going to electric fuel could be lost to the heating requirements of a cold winter.

Has anyone else considered this in their cold climate location?
Two considerations:

1. The batteries are inside the passenger compartment, so as you heat the vehicle for your own comfort, you will also be heating the batteries.

2. From my experience with lithium ion batteries on my motorcycles, they heat up as you draw current. On a cold morning, they may not initially start the bike, but each successive try warms them up and they deliver more juice.

Cold weather and batteries are not usually good partners. I’m certain there are EV/PHEV owners here who can give you even better info.

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
As one who has had electric cars for years now, temperature is a huge thing for range. My BMW i3 in summer would get me to work and back (60 miles) on the 80 mile rated battery no problem. In winter the range extender would always kick in before I got home. Expect 1/3 of your range to be gone in a nice summer day vs below freezing winter day.

BTA

First Name
brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru legacy
As one who has had electric cars for years now, temperature is a huge thing for range. My BMW i3 in summer would get me to work and back (60 miles) on the 80 mile rated battery no problem. In winter the range extender would always kick in before I got home. Expect 1/3 of your range to be gone in a nice summer day vs below freezing winter day.

Admittedly my first EV, but according to my friends who own EVs and from what I've read, the range reduction mentioned above is the greatest issue to consider consideration, starting an EV is an equal or lesser issue than an ICE.

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
Cold actually is good for longevity on batteries, but bad on efficiency. Hot weather on the other hand will destroy a battery's longevity. So long as you pre-condition the vehicle (remote start it, or warm it up), before you drive, the battery will be warmed up for operating temps and can be driven more efficiently. It's always helpful to have it plugged in when parked, so you have full range for your trip and for when you remote start the vehicle, you are drawing on electricity instead of gas to warm up the car. I'm not sure about savings - that would depend on your electric bill rates. I think it would cost less than warming up the vehicle on gas only, not to mention the savings from not driving errands with gas.

OP
CJ SCION

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless4now
Occupation
Tired Again
Thank you all for your response so far. Yeah I get the performance end of it and expect some reduction in efficiency at extreme temps.

What I would be concerned with is having it plugged in 24/7 while parked and not knowing how much draw will occur. As in 3 days of single or below zero F temps to travel 25 miles one day and then let it sit for another 3 days drawing juice. Might not be such an economical way to go. Knowing such a scenario will only happen during a two month period is a consideration too.

OP
CJ SCION

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless4now
Occupation
Tired Again
Two considerations:

1. The batteries are inside the passenger compartment, so as you heat the vehicle for your own comfort, you will also be heating the batteries.

2. From my experience with lithium ion batteries on my motorcycles, they heat up as you draw current. On a cold morning, they may not initially start the bike, but each successive try warms them up and they deliver more juice.

Cold weather and batteries are not usually good partners. I’m certain there are EV/PHEV owners here who can give you even better info.
Very interesting about your experience with starting the motorcycle. There is quite a variety of electric motorcycles now, have ya seen the Brutus V9? Not yet available but looks pretty cool.

GT2529

First Name
Gabe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 4xe Rubicon
Thank you all for your response so far. Yeah I get the performance end of it and expect some reduction in efficiency at extreme temps.

What I would be concerned with is having it plugged in 24/7 while parked and not knowing how much draw will occur. As in 3 days of single or below zero F temps to travel 25 miles one day and then let it sit for another 3 days drawing juice. Might not be such an economical way to go. Knowing such a scenario will only happen during a two month period is a consideration too.
My guess is that for cold weather, it will only draw power when you remote start and pre-condition. For hot weather, the AC will probably kick on while plugged in, to protect the battery from getting too hot. With cold, I think they figure since it's not damaging to the battery, it can just be warmed up like other cars, so it only needs to draw power and heat when warming up to condition the battery for a trip.

Advertisement

Northridge4x4

Advertisement