Sponsored

Cold Air Intake not available for 80th Anniversary Model?

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
I ordered my 80th Anniversary JLU yesterday and did not order the Cold Air Intake option because it is not offered on the web site Jeep Builder tool and I falsely assumed it is only available on higher level models like the Sahara.

I took a look this morning and it seems the Jeep Builder tool lets you pick the Cold Air Intake option for every model but the 80th Anniversary.

The Customer Preferred Code Guide shows it as an option for the 80th Anniversary, so then I thought maybe there is a bug in the Jeep Builder tool.

But looking at the Mopar site for this part, the 80th Anniversary is the only model not listed under the Vehicle Fitment section for 2021 Jeep Wrangler.
https://www.moparpartscorp.com/oem-parts/mopar-intake-systems-cold-air-77072433ac?c=bD00Jm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM=
In fact it seems you cannot select the 80th Anniversary as a model on the web site.

Anyone know what gives? Is there something unusual about the 80th Anniversary? Or maybe because it is a one year only model, FCA forgot to include it their web site descriptions, etc? That's my guess.

I should have asked the dealer if he could add the Cold Air Intake to my order...but didn't think of it at the time...oh well...first mod I do? :)

P.S. I spoke with the dealer this morning and he said his ordering system does not allow the Cold Air Intake to be added to any Sport based model. So that answers that. I could not have ordered it anyway.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
Not a big loss as the mishimoto air intake is probably better anyway. They make very high quality stuff and their designs are based on real testing.

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Not a big loss as the mishimoto air intake is probably better anyway. They make very high quality stuff and their designs are based on real testing.
I saw that in the Quadratec catalog and was wondering about it. Am considering purchasing it.

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
I have the mishimoto catch can kit on my Jeep now and no issues. Works great. I just got their intercooler pipe this week and I am waiting for the DV+ divertor to arrive in the mail. Even the packing from mishimoto is impressive, so they really strive for high quality stuff.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
As far as I know the factory does not cut the hood vent anyway. So if you still want the mopar your better off buying it yourself.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I suspect it’s an oversight-can’t imagine the 80th being different under the hood from any other JL

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I know the factory does not cut the hood vent anyway. So if you still want the mopar your better off buying it yourself.
I forget where is saw it...but the dealer confirmed it...the factory cuts a port and intake in the right side of the hood.

OP
OP
BackToWrangler

BackToWrangler

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect it’s an oversight-can’t imagine the 80th being different under the hood from any other JL
I spoke with the dealer and he said his ordering system does not allow the Cold Air Intake to be added to any Sport based model. So that answers that. I could not have ordered it anyway.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I forget where is saw it...but the dealer confirmed it...the factory cuts a port and intake in the right side of the hood.
I have only seen 1 person order it here and the hood vent was in the trunk. That was when they first appeared as an option so maybe there was some confusion.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'd hesitate before letting the dealer cut my hood. The folks at Jeep's post-production facility have experience in installing them, but I suspect it would be your dealer's first time.

N875ED

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Could somebody explain the benefits of aftermarket cold air intake when the stock intake already draws from the gap at the right side of the hood.

Thanks.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Could somebody explain the benefits of aftermarket cold air intake when the stock intake already draws from the gap at the right side of the hood.

Thanks.
In this particular case, they get more profit from it while you get fancy hole in the hood and no extra power.
Less restrictive filter in regular OEM intake which is already CAI is more economical and has slight more benefit (might see 5hp at the top end, posibly more if tuned).

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Thanks.
To a certain extent I suspect people like the bling factor. Not my thing, but it does look cool (except for the impact on the RUBICON sticker).

But...to answer your question, I don't think there will be any perceptible difference pre/post installation.

RedRaptorJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mazda3 Hatch, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
Vent in hood will offer more direct cold air vs. stock gap where air is more likely to be heat soaked. The supplied filter is usually a dry or oiled media letting more airflow and making the aggressive induction sound that most people associate with. The intermediate piping is usually larger in diameter to permit more air to the engine.

Don't get one (or slam it) because you think $300 to $400 is going to get you anything performance wise. Its more the the bling factor and the induction sound that gives your engine a bit more of an aggressive sound.

I don't own one but if I was to get one, it would be the Mopar CAI. Love the functional hood vent piece. Everything about it is so Jeep.
Sponsored