First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jlur xr , 2022 subaru ascent touring
Occupation
Retired
I opted for the factory cold air intake on my 2022 JLU XR. The intake tube is a little larger and less restrictive. Not much difference on the air box but there is some. The filter is a dry cloth filter and the air intake is still mounted above the fender. I have noticed crisper throttle response and some noticeable intake noise. In town driving In stop and go traffic I average 17 mpg. Hyway driving at 70 mph Ie average 20 mpg. As far as horse power gains its hard to say. With 4:56 gears it runs extremely well paired with the 8spd auto. The option was $499. Owning several 3.6 without the cold air intake I would say there is some benefits. I think it comes down to a persons personally choice.

20220609_135838.jpg

20220503_113124.jpg

20220503_113041.jpg
Sponsored

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
It would be interesting to read AIT temp before and after the CAI is installed. There are many apps available to show this data using a Bluetooth obdii reader.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hard Nay! But if it's between and Angry Grill or CAI, CAI FTW!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I put a Holley CAI on my 3.6L JLUR. I loved the sound, but the dip in torque at 2,800 RPM was incredibly noticable. That dip in torque made me cringe on Every. Single. Shift.

Just say no.
Yeah, the gain in torque/HP really comes on when the V6 least needs it, it does improve the look in the engine bay, so there's that :)

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Yay! I put an Airraid on my 3.6L and gave it a great sound plus an extra pep in her step after adding 35s!
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Air intake. Hay or Nay? 20220503_113041
Does it have a velocity stack and where did you buy from, if you don't mind?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
What one needs to understand is, absolute micron filtration % = how much silicon (a contamination from either dust or dirt) is entering ones engine.

So the questioned is, when one installs a aftermarket air induction system, is there a negative to the engine in some way…
+1

Just two days ago, I received the latest oil analysis report from Blackstone Laboratories. The Comments section included the following: "Silicon starting to trend low is evidence of effective air filtration". The oil use interval was 6.4K miles. Almost all of that was accumulated just after I installed a new OEM air filter at 30K miles, replacing the original OEM filter, in accordance with the text in the Owner's Manual.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
+1

Just two days ago, I received the latest oil analysis report from Blackstone Laboratories. The Comments section included the following: "Silicon starting to trend low is evidence of effective air filtration". The oil use interval was 6.4K miles. Almost all of that was accumulated just after I installed a new OEM air filter at 30K miles, replacing the original OEM filter, in accordance with the text in the Owner's Manual.
👍

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
Does it have a velocity stack and where did you buy from, if you don't mind?
I don’t believe it does have a velocity stack based on what I just googled but I honestly don’t know what that is… and I think I got it directly from Airraid if I recall correctly

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, I noticed that too. Really wonder how the rest of the powerband can have fairly linear increases over stock - except at that one narrow point (and a bit of the same at 5500, but at least not less than stock). Honestly doesn't even make sense how that's possible considering the rest of the curve. Although It's also hard to believe that a 3HP and 5TQ drop in a 250RPM band would be that noticeable.. was it a manual? Think I'd be more apt to notice (and eventually be bothered by it) than with an auto.

But yeah, guess that's the price you pay for messing with intake and exhaust without getting the ECU tuned for the changes made.
Yes, it was a manual. I saw the charts beforehand and thought the same thing: it wouldn't be noticeable. I was wrong.

Reactions: AFD

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
+1

It will be interesting to see if it remains that way over time. My experience with K&N style filters is that silicon will begin to rise, but the only way to know that is to run a UOA on every oil change and most people have no desire to do that.

Here is my silicon from the first OC to date (green cells indicate air filter change):

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Air intake. Hay or Nay? U4MxY7

Last edited:

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...run a UOA on every oil change and most people have no desire to do that.
That's exactly what I do. $40.00 per lab report is an affordable way to monitor the health of the engine. This is doubly true when considering the complexity of modern powerplants. Said reports are usually $30.00, but I voluntarily pay the extra $10 to know the remaining TBN value.

Blackstone even thanked me in writing for submitting used oil samples from my Ural. They were glad to have the ability to build a baseline for an engine that they see very little of, wrt engine oil submissions from owners.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
That's exactly what I do. $40.00 per lab report is an affordable way to monitor the health of the engine. This is doubly true when considering the complexity of modern powerplants. Said reports are usually $30.00, but I voluntarily pay the extra $10 to know the remaining TBN value.

Blackstone even thanked me in writing for submitting used oil samples from my Ural. They were glad to have the ability to build a baseline for an engine that they see very little of, wrt engine oil submissions from owners.
Not to beat on Blackstone (I used them for many UOAs in the past), but you might want to switch to Polaris for your testing and save some money--Polaris is $26 which includes the TBN. Polaris is also ISO 17025 certified and has a much larger list of ASTM testing methodologies they use including gas chromatography for fuel dilution testing.

alv7722

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL with 3.0 Diesel
So I bought a 2022 Rubicon. Cold Air intake. Hay or Nay? Also if its a Hay, what to put on? :like:
I have a '21 Wrangler with the 3.0 ecodiesel. I had installed a Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster, with great improvement in power and response. The shifts were a little harsh under max accelleration.

I installed an AFE Momentum 10 oiled CAI. The difference was stunning!! Power was much more immediate, and I would say with at LEAST 20% more thrust. The shifts smoothed out, almost like driving an EV!!

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
got a valant with the Donaldson nanofiber power core for the filtration.

Jeepers 2020

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I bought the AFE MOMENTUM GT PRO DRY S INTAKE JL for my 2022. While I did enjoy the speed gains starting from 0 mph, the loudness of the engine on take off and on the highway ultimately drove me to reinstalling the original intake. I wasn’t able to enjoy my sound system.

I really did enjoy the power gains, and I often think about reinstalling the cold air intake, because it really does increase the engine performance. With the regular intake my Jeep feels sluggish now, but I just don’t know if I can reinstall the cold air intake again. I love listening to my music while driving.

as for the MPG improvement, I believe I got better highway mileage, but not much, if any, in the city.
I’ll buy it from you if your done with it? 😀
Sponsored