JustDave

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
in parallel with the main battery supporting all 12v loads. It isn’t until ESS kicks in that the auxiliary battery and main battery are separated.
IInteresting.

OP
OP
JustDave

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
It turns out there's something wrong with the computer. The Jeep dealer can't get it & the factory techs are now working on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JustDave

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
So here's all the codes my Jeep is throwing at me.

E731D601-1955-4C46-83D3-49929589E29F.png

B21BAECF-6B9B-4FC0-AD95-0D40D4DA36C8.png

OP
OP
JustDave

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Just got a call that my Jeep is fixed. Said they had to reprogram the main computer. Jeep said it's probably cuz of my 37's. Said if it happens again, I'll have to go down a size. That is total bullshit. We'll see if it happens again & then start fighting.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Just got a call that my Jeep is fixed. Said they had to reprogram the main computer. Jeep said it's probably cuz of my 37's. Said if it happens again, I'll have to go down a size. That is total bullshit. We'll see if it happens again & then start fighting.
If you have issues again I'd avoid that dealer. IMO, likely battery or fues/fuse array, given the variety of electrical stuff.

OP
OP
JustDave

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
If you have issues again I'd avoid that dealer. IMO, likely battery or fues/fuse array, given the variety of electrical stuff.
The dealer is actually a best friend of mine. He agrees that Jeep is trying to make excuses and said we'll cross our fingers & hope we don't have to start fighting with them. When I took it in, the service manager said it sounds like a battery & figured it would only take a few hours to get it all checked out. It ended up taking a week. We'll see. The dealer put 35's on it & regeared with 4.56's when I bought it new.

Stockton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2DR Sport S
My '21 with a 3.6 ESS and newly installed K&N CAI ran fine for about 10 days. Then got a CEL with a P0171 System too lean (Bank 1), Random misfire (Forgot code) and P2026 Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean. Cleared codes. Ran fine for about two weeks. Removed the muffler and put on an AFE Hi-tuck tailpipe. Ran fine for about a week and it did it again. It happened when I was out on mild 4wd Forest Service roads going slow (prolly never got out of 3rd gear on automatic). Felt it starting to miss, No other abnormal engine readings. I noticed volts dropped to around 13.5 and WOULD NOT get back up to 14. Any ideas?

Sponsored

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That little battery and the whole ess system is supposed to help increase mileage? Whatever pennies in fuel savings you’d get with the engine stopping at lights gets more than obliterated when that battery has to get replaced. Doesn’t benefit the consumer but the manufacturer showing that they are doing everything they can to keep within the CAFE limits.

OP
OP
JustDave

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
So it happened again except more electrical issues. Took it to the dealer again, they gave me a 2023 car as a loaner as they said they might have it a while trying to diagnose an electrical problem. A few days later, they found a wire had somehow came loose & was rubbing on a pulley & was frayed. They're ordering a new wire & hopefully that'll fix the issue.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My '21 with a 3.6 ESS and newly installed K&N CAI ran fine for about 10 days. Then got a CEL with a P0171 System too lean (Bank 1), Random misfire (Forgot code) and P2026 Post catalyst fuel trim system too lean. Cleared codes. Ran fine for about two weeks. Removed the muffler and put on an AFE Hi-tuck tailpipe. Ran fine for about a week and it did it again. It happened when I was out on mild 4wd Forest Service roads going slow (prolly never got out of 3rd gear on automatic). Felt it starting to miss, No other abnormal engine readings. I noticed volts dropped to around 13.5 and WOULD NOT get back up to 14. Any ideas?
If a single bank is reporting a lean condition, the problem lies in fuel control or a vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Vacuum leaks at the manifold ports themselves are extraordinarily rare on modern intake designs. Probably a bad O2 sensor. Check for oil leaks.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Might be a pain, but you could try swapping back to stock muffler and intake for a few weeks and see if it still comes back. At the very least, I'd probably completely reinstall the intake just to make sure nothing's weird (leaks, rag stuffed inside the filter, anything unusual). Seems odd that either would cause a problem since the ECU should eventually adjust to the increased airflow. Not sure about the JL, but with many other vehicles this occurs quicker if you disconnect and then reconnect the battery.

Any chance you got a tank of bad gas or maybe used Unleaded 88 (15% methanol) or something other than the usual 'regular' or 'premium unleaded fuels? Battery going bad is known to cause random CELs, but those all seem a little too related to be random.

Robby Robot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nathantothrow.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU, Roush 2 Mustang, Triumph T-Bird
Occupation
KZ4KNR | Business Intelligence Consultant
Dave, your description of error codes and dashboard warning lights (post #16) does suggest a battery that is reaching the end of its practical service life. Yes, perhaps it's occurring prematurely, given that you have a 2021 Jeep, but such failures can manifest themselves in seemingly unrelated ways.

While the expense can be an annoyance, do consider the idea of replacing one or both batteries as a prophylactic measure. Doing so in my own vehicles has solved issues similar to your own. Granted, I was trying to squeeze the last volt out of my batteries before investing in a quality replacement.
This. 👆

A fresh supply of voltage can solve a lot of problems. (I see this all the time on motorcycles with ABS systems that routinely complain if they don't get the voltage they want at start.) I don't see any real commonality with your thrown codes other than sensors, so I would try a new batt.

Do you have your ESS enabled? You can eliminate it (and an extra load on your battery) by disconnecting its plunger in the engine bay. You'll get a continuous alert light in the corner of your dashboard but it's nothing but a minor irritant. Good luck.
Sponsored