Cold air from glove box

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
So last night we were coming home from a rugby game in Denver and my wife turned the heat up a bit. With the heater slightly up, but still on ac we had warm air coming out of the vents but there was cold air blowing out the glove box seams. Open the glove box and sure enough it cold air. Was about 63 deg last night. So now im wondering is this is air from outside coming through the forewall or a problem with my vent system.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Same issue here in Houston, seems that an outside vent randomly opens to let outside air in for some reason

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Great... thats going to be fu. In winter.

TCourtney

First Name
Terri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler unlimited JL, 2015 wrangler sport
I just noticed this same issue. Jeepman I didn’t find where the cold air from the glove compartment was addressed in the link you posted.

Sponsored

Shaleene

First Name
Shaleene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Same issue here in Houston, seems that an outside vent randomly opens to let outside air in for some reason
Wondering if you ever found the solution? My 2020 is doing the same thing along with a list of other issues, hoping to collect proper info before ripping the dealership a new one

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if you ever found the solution? My 2020 is doing the same thing along with a list of other issues, hoping to collect proper info before ripping the dealership a new one
The only fix is to disconnect the damper controller, from my research the damper opening for approx a minute or less ever so often is by FCA design, it’s supposed to bring in outside air when the “recirc” setting is selected

Shaleene

First Name
Shaleene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The only fix is to disconnect the damper controller, from my research the damper opening for approx a minute or less ever so often is by FCA design, it’s supposed to bring in outside air when the “recirc” setting is selected
Thanks! I’ll do some research and see what I can find, mine gets stuck open throughout a drive even when recirc isn’t on, I’m wondering if there’s another solution, it just started on mine a week or two ago

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I’ll do some research and see what I can find, mine gets stuck open throughout a drive even when recirc isn’t on, I’m wondering if there’s another solution, it just started on mine a week or two ago
My suggestion is remove the glove box ( very easy and not tools needed ) then you can start the Jeep or put in run position without starting and then push the recirc button and observe the damper closing then while still running or in the run position look at the damper control power connector and see how it disconnects ( very easy to do) once it’s disconnected it will never open again randomly. Mine have been disconnected for over a year and it’s been great.

see post #117 https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oor-vents-for-3-5-mins-then-stops.9720/page-8

Shaleene

First Name
Shaleene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
My suggestion is remove the glove box ( very easy and not tools needed ) then you can start the Jeep or put in run position without starting and then push the recirc button and observe the damper closing then while still running or in the run position look at the damper control power connector and see how it disconnects ( very easy to do) once it’s disconnected it will never open again randomly. Mine have been disconnected for over a year and it’s been great.

see post #117 https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oor-vents-for-3-5-mins-then-stops.9720/page-8
Thanks so much!

Sponsored

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
The recirc gate on the plenum:
1. Is fully open when recirc button is on.
2. Is fully closed only when recirc button is off AND fan is at 1, 2 or 3.
3 Is partially (about 25%) open if fan is at or above 4, irrespective of any other setting.

It is something you can easily observe with the glove box removed.

Shaleene

First Name
Shaleene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU
The recirc gate on the plenum:
1. Is fully open when recirc button is on.
2. Is fully closed only when recirc button is off AND fan is at 1, 2 or 3.
3 Is partially (about 25%) open if fan is at or above 4, irrespective of any other setting.

It is something you can easily observe with the glove box removed.
Thanks! I’m definitely going to check it out my concern is that is gets stuck open and the cold air is pouring into my Jeep even when the record button is off and at any fan speed. If I turn the heat off all together then start it back up it fixes itself for a couple minutes then does it again, it just started a couple weeks ago, wondering if it’s an issue the dealer should be responsible for fixing rather than just stopping the vent from opening all together

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Your plan sounds prudent. The plenum is supposed to always have some negative pressure in it. A positive pressure seems only likely if (1) filter too clogged, (2) the two fans (Outside Air Inlet above plenum, Recirculation Air Inlet fan below plenum) are out of whack, as in Outside Air fan is faster than Recirc Air fan and plenum is filling up faster than it can be drained, creating the pos air pressure and the cold air spill into the cabin.
Sponsored