Sponsored

Code P023A, Battery Power Saver, Auto Stop/Start warning lights, etc.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
This post is a consolidation of a lot of replies on different posts in regards to the issues I have had.

I wanted to put up a post detailing my issues and the resolutions, etc. in an effort to help others with similar problems.

Some months back after driving for a couple of hours near idle speed on rough terrain, my Auto Stop/Start warning light came on letting me know that the feature wasn't currently available. At the time, the check engine light did not come on, but it tripped a soft code of P023A. The following morning, everything functioned as normal. The dealership read the codes but advised that they thought it was just a "hiccup" and that if it happened again to bring it back in.

A couple of weeks later, while parked with the engine running for about 15 minutes, the warning light came back on and this time stayed on for about 24 hours or so. This was even with multiple on/off, door open/closed cycles. Once again I brought it in, the dealer checked everything and replaced the driver side proximity lock assembly that he said was causing a battery drain, he also updated the software on the Jeep. I had noticed that the driver's side door didn't always seem to lock when I pressed the proximity lock button, but never could tell 100% for sure.

That seemed to fix the problem of the stop/start warning light coming on and everything went smoothly for about 2-3 months. (I currently put about 2,000 miles/month on my Jeep) During this time, the check engine light never came on.

I did get another P023A error code in November, this time it tripped a hard code and the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer and they ordered a replacement "Air Coolant Pump", this did not fix the problem and I took it back to have it looked at again. They ended up replacing both Air Coolant Pumps and the ECM for those pumps in December while they were resolving the problem I'll describe below. (They also did the Steering TSB while they had it)

Fast forward to mid-December - I'm at idle in very slow-moving traffic for about 2-1/2 hours. At the 2-1/2 hour mark, my battery light comes on then a few minutes later it goes back off. About 15 minutes later it comes on and stays on. I can't go anywhere, I'm stuck in 4 lanes of traffic, so I put it in Neutral and rev the engine up to about 2,500 RPM's in an attempt to charge the battery, I also turned off everything possible that might cause power drain, all to no avail. I had already read on the forums of people with similar issues, so I knew at any minute it was going to die on me. Sure enough about 10 minutes later I get the "going in to battery power saving mode, some systems may not be available" message. I started looking for a place to get out of the road. Within about 5 minutes of that message, almost everything electrical died out, the screen started blinking on and off flashing all kinds of error messages, my halo rings on my headlights started flashing, etc. The engine was still running, so I put it in Neutral and got a couple of guys to help me push it out of traffic until a tow truck could get to me.

The following morning I had it towed to the dealer on a flatbed truck even though it cranked right up and idled for 20 minutes with no apparent issues whatsoever.. The dealer could not replicate the problem at first, but after I described what I was doing at the time it happened, they let it sit in their parking lot and run for over 2 hours. They finally determined that the PowerTrain Control Module (PCM) was causing a power drain on the batteries and they replaced it.

So far I've driven it about 75 miles since then with no issues, I'll report back on this post any further updates. Just thought this post might help someone else with a similar issue to what I've been dealing with. I absolutely love my Jeep, this is my first one and I plan to keep it for a long time, I just want to work these bugs out before the warranty goes away in a few months...

By the way, my dealer absolutely rocks! Shoutout for AutoNation CDJR of Johnson City, TN, they have gone above and beyond to take care of mine and my wife's Jeeps. They are doing her Steering TSB tomorrow. @JeepCares should give them some kind of award.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Just had this happen to me out on the trails. Power drained down to 10v. When it finally shutdown. The battery area and power distribution area was very hot!

I disconnected the negative battery terminal, waited a minute, then reconnected it. It started back up and voltage was 12.8 and rising!. Drove back to Silverton. The display wouldn't even show Siruus XM and my Uconnect apps were all strange. I did a complete reboot with the Tazzer. I never had a code show up but the check engine light was on until I did a full reboot with the Tazzer. After the reboot, my uconnect apps and radio presets all came back. I've gone on 4 short trips since and not problems.

Kinda sucks to be on the beginning of Corkscrew Gulch, no cellular signal, heading towards the highway when everything starts shutting down. I put it in 2wd turned off everything electrical and made it as fast as I could down to 550 and it died right at the highway. I have the 2L mild hybrid and it seemed to charge a little bit on the way down hill. But it was a losing battle. I was afraid to kill the engine in fear of it not starting up again!