Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All,

I wanted to post my experience installing Code 4 Sequential Turn Signal for JL Sport. There don't seem to be many LED turn signal options out there for us Sport owners...I did the following for the install:

1) Follow this video to remove your fenders ( ). YOU MUST REMOVE YOUR FENDERS. I could not find a way to swap your turn signal housing otherwise. This is a very simple process in the end...seems a little overwhelming removing your fender for the first time...but I promise its not bad.

2) Once you have the fender totally removed, follow this set of instructions to remove the OEM turn signal (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1718801&c=5129608&h=3ba144c2eb35c1bbff68)

3) Install the new turn signal all the way to having the fender ready to reattach to the jeep, but DO NOT REATTACH YOUR FENDER YET!

4) Plug in the wire harness from your new turn signal to your jeep and place the unattached fender on the top of your wheel.

5) At this point, you want to test if the turn signal and side markers are working the way you want them to. The Code4 turn signals come with resistors pre-installed and you need to keep these installed even if you have a Z-Automotive Tazer to have your jeep computer recognize your turn signals as "LED". I say this because I do have a Tazer and could not get the turn signals to work without switching to "LED" AND leaving the resistors in place. If you remove the resistors, the turn signal has so little pull that the Jeep Computer throws bulb out errors intermittently...VERY ANNOYING. Use the Tazer, update Front Turn Signal to LED and leave those resistors in place.

Also, My passenger side marker connector was wired backwards on the turn signal I received, but Dean (owner) at Code4 was super easy to work with and is sending a replacement for me...hard to find good people like Dean in the world anymore. Even with this bump in the road, I would recommend this product knowing that the Code4 team stands behind their products!

Once you are happy with how the turn signal and side markers are reacting, you can move on. If you have any bulb out error issues, one thing to try is to make sure your Tazer has the latest firmware...for whatever reason, the turn signals seem to have caused headaches in the past and firmware releases have included turn signal specific fixes.

6) Reattach your fenders

7) ENJOY!

The Code4 Sequential turn signals have switchback functionality built in. For my set-up, I have the turn signals set to DRL. This means during the day (without lights on), the turn signal is solid yellow and then sequentially blinks yellow when the turn signal is activated, then turns back to solid yellow when the turn signal is deactivated. At night (with lights on), the turn signal is white and then sequentially blinks yellow when the turn signal is activated, then switches back to solid white when turn signal is deactivated.

Hope this helps in your Jeep Adventures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 20201015_220749

Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 20201015_214302

Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 20201015_214301

Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 20201015_214300
Sponsored

Last edited:

ppfingsten

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Wow those look great! So I will need to buy a tazer first it seems?

OP
OP
Red-5

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Wow those look great! So I will need to buy a tazer first it seems?
Based on my experience (I'd be interested if others have had other experiences), yes, you'd need the tazer out of the box. Now...you may be able to add a resistor to get the Jeep to think its halogen, but not sure what that would do to the switchback functionality.

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Looks very nice. Where are the resistors mounted and what are the load size of them? I installed Rubi fenders with LED turn signal lights on my sports, but unfortunately couldn't clear the bulb out warning with my FlashCal. So I am looking into resistors, but worried it would melt plastic fenders away...

OP
OP
Red-5

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks very nice. Where are the resistors mounted and what are the load size of them? I installed Rubi fenders with LED turn signal lights on my sports, but unfortunately couldn't clear the bulb out warning with my FlashCal. So I am looking into resistors, but worried it would melt plastic fenders away...
Don't know the resistor load off hand...Code4 might be able to help. When I get my replacement I will take a look.

Last edited:

Sponsored

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Don't know the resistor load off hand...Code4 might be able to help. When I get my replacement I will take a look.
Thanks a million. Please share a picture when you receive the replacement.

OP
OP
Red-5

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you so much! Is it OK to mount this to the plastic?
I mounted to this little open pocket area in the fender...I was told the backing can be mounted to plastic.

The learner

First Name
Jibin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hello All,

I wanted to post my experience installing Code 4 Sequential Turn Signal for JL Sport. There don't seem to be many LED turn signal options out there for us Sport owners...I did the following for the install:

1) Follow this video to remove your fenders ( ). YOU MUST REMOVE YOUR FENDERS. I could not find a way to swap your turn signal housing otherwise. This is a very simple process in the end...seems a little overwhelming removing your fender for the first time...but I promise its not bad.

2) Once you have the fender totally removed, follow this set of instructions to remove the OEM turn signal (https://www.theretrofitsource.com/core/media/media.nl?id=1718801&c=5129608&h=3ba144c2eb35c1bbff68)

3) Install the new turn signal all the way to having the fender ready to reattach to the jeep, but DO NOT REATTACH YOUR FENDER YET!

4) Plug in the wire harness from your new turn signal to your jeep and place the unattached fender on the top of your wheel.

5) At this point, you want to test if the turn signal and side markers are working the way you want them to. The Code4 turn signals come with resistors pre-installed and you need to keep these installed even if you have a Z-Automotive Tazer to have your jeep computer recognize your turn signals as "LED". I say this because I do have a Tazer and could not get the turn signals to work without switching to "LED" AND leaving the resistors in place. If you remove the resistors, the turn signal has so little pull that the Jeep Computer throws bulb out errors intermittently...VERY ANNOYING. Use the Tazer, update Front Turn Signal to LED and leave those resistors in place.

Also, My passenger side marker connector was wired backwards on the turn signal I received, but Dean (owner) at Code4 was super easy to work with and is sending a replacement for me...hard to find good people like Dean in the world anymore. Even with this bump in the road, I would recommend this product knowing that the Code4 team stands behind their products!

Once you are happy with how the turn signal and side markers are reacting, you can move on. If you have any bulb out error issues, one thing to try is to make sure your Tazer has the latest firmware...for whatever reason, the turn signals seem to have caused headaches in the past and firmware releases have included turn signal specific fixes.

6) Reattach your fenders

7) ENJOY!

The Code4 Sequential turn signals have switchback functionality built in. For my set-up, I have the turn signals set to DRL. This means during the day (without lights on), the turn signal is solid yellow and then sequentially blinks yellow when the turn signal is activated, then turns back to solid yellow when the turn signal is deactivated. At night (with lights on), the turn signal is white and then sequentially blinks yellow when the turn signal is activated, then switches back to solid white when turn signal is deactivated.

Hope this helps in your Jeep Adventures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 20201023_101714

Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 20201023_101714

Looks like none are buying JL Sport variant unlike us. I was searching for a lead to resolve similar issues. I bought the same led turn signals recently and installed it yesterday. Same issue as yours. Turn signal stop working after few clicks and throws an error code ‘right turn signals out’ and at time ‘Passenger air bag on’. The drl works perfectly. I took out the resistors While installing. The left turn signal and drl works perfectly without the resistors and there isn’t any hyper flash. I am awaiting the connector to flash it using the JScan.

Questions:
I see a ground wire in the turn signals. Do I nee to ground this ?
What were the inputs in the JScan?
Is it still working without issues in your Wrangler ?
Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 1605476342253

thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Red-5

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like none are buying JL Sport variant unlike us. I was searching for a lead to resolve similar issues. I bought the same led turn signals recently and installed it yesterday. Same issue as yours. Turn signal stop working after few clicks and throws an error code ‘right turn signals out’ and at time ‘Passenger air bag on’. The drl works perfectly. I took out the resistors While installing. The left turn signal and drl works perfectly without the resistors and there isn’t any hyper flash. I am awaiting the connector to flash it using the JScan.

Questions:
I see a ground wire in the turn signals. Do I nee to ground this ?
What were the inputs in the JScan?
Is it still working without issues in your Wrangler ?
Jeep Wrangler JL Code 4 LED JL (Sport) Sequential Turn Signal Install 1605476342253

thanks
Make sure you keep the resistors attached AND change the razor setting to LED.

The learner

First Name
Jibin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Make sure you keep the resistors attached AND change the razor setting to LED.
Got it done ! Resistor AND Flash. Finding a spot for the resistor was a pain. But the good thing is it will only get heated up when the turn signals are on.

OP
OP
Red-5

Red-5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rebelcon
Vehicle Showcase
Got it done ! Resistor AND Flash. Finding a spot for the resistor was a pain. But the good thing is it will only get heated up when the turn signals are on.
Nice man! Glad you got it done.

Mgharib3

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL
Where did you mount the resistors?

The learner

First Name
Jibin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Where did you mount the resistors?
Underneath the fender, used high temperature double side tape to mount it to a metal part. Since the resistors are activated only when the turn signal is on, it doesn’t get heated up much. It has been a while on my wrangler and it works okay !
Sponsored