Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So I have already ordered my Cobra CB kits from our forum friend Cooltech (thanks for making it easy) and now my mouse is hovering over the Amazon button to buy the Blackvue 900S 2-channel setup. It would be my plan to install them both on the same day and get all the panel removals accomplished at the same time.

Since I have the Aux switches with two open switches (other two are for the winch and some LED lights) I plan on wiring the CB to an Aux switch (easy enough) and since I'm also going to get the Power Magic Pro, I will be directly wiring the dashcam to the vehicle (using the handy wires supplied in the passenger footwell (battery and ground).

My question is what route did anyone who installed the Blackvue take to get the wiring back to the rear camera? I have a hardtop if that changes anything. I'm looking for the most efficient route to get the coax back there.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Sponsored

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
I'm facing the exact same dilemma. I have an older Blackvue system, and was thinking about doing the upgrade to the 900S 2-chan as well. Initially i wanted to do the most efficient way, but am opting for the more practical way. If i wanted to take the hardtop off, running it along the roof is a no go.

Instead, the run is going to be along the edge under the trim against the floor on the driver side to the same point where the quick disconnects for the rear washer fluid and electrical harness is, and then building a custom cable an an extender from that location with the wire snaked up the cable feed to the middle of the hardtop.

This way i can quick disconnect all the bits in once place with for hard top removal.

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Just did my installs last week. I attached the rear camera to the back of the roll bar instead of to the window. I ran the wiring to it down the right side (but you could do either side) and hid it under the roll bar trim. Rear camera is wired to front camera. The only spot that you can not hide the wiring is at the rear of the roll bar where the wiring needs to turn the corning (a few inches of wiring showing). Having the aux switches definitely made wiring up the power and grounds easier

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
Just did my installs last week. I attached the rear camera to the back of the roll bar instead of to the window. I ran the wiring to it down the right side (but you could do either side) and hid it under the roll bar trim. Rear camera is wired to front camera. The only spot that you can not hide the wiring is at the rear of the roll bar where the wiring needs to turn the corning (a few inches of wiring showing). Having the aux switches definitely made wiring up the power and grounds easier
That's awfully clever. If i didn't have a cargo shelf on the way, this would have been a good way to go.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does having the camera on the roll bar (angled down a bit, I assume) along with the spare tire infringing on some of the view cause the image from the rear camera to be limited more than if it was on the glass directly?

I'm only curious since, this sounds like an excellent location but wonder about the trade offs.

Thanks

Bob

Sponsored

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Does having the camera on the roll bar (angled down a bit, I assume) along with the spare tire infringing on some of the view cause the image from the rear camera to be limited more than if it was on the glass directly?

I'm only curious since, this sounds like an excellent location but wonder about the trade offs.

Thanks

Bob
Hey Bob, yes it does limit your view somewhat, especially with the top on so it is a trade off. But if someone is going to hit you from behind, you still have a good but unfortunate view

digirati

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm facing the exact same dilemma. I have an older Blackvue system, and was thinking about doing the upgrade to the 900S 2-chan as well. Initially i wanted to do the most efficient way, but am opting for the more practical way. If i wanted to take the hardtop off, running it along the roof is a no go.

Instead, the run is going to be along the edge under the trim against the floor on the driver side to the same point where the quick disconnects for the rear washer fluid and electrical harness is, and then building a custom cable an an extender from that location with the wire snaked up the cable feed to the middle of the hardtop.

This way i can quick disconnect all the bits in once place with for hard top removal.
Did you come up with quick disconnect solution so you could remove the hardtop without having to remove the rear camera?
Sponsored