Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I gotta be honest, your writing is a ton of fun to read. Somehow you seem to get your entire train of thought on the page, without it seeming too much like a run on and it just feels natural. I'm digggin it!

Favorite line that is sooooo relatable though was, "endlessly attaching and removing various bits of the jeep. That, and slowly going nuts."

I feel that so hard. Keep up the good work and we will all be tuning in.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@keeperman13 Hey, thank you for the compliments, it actually means a lot. I wish you had been any one of my english teachers growing up. With regards to the "entire train of thought" bit, the auto-throttling action of slowly typing this out on a phone forces me to think before I peck, which filters the usual non sequiturs and asides. (I don't have millennial thumbs) Maybe this is a change for the better. But now that you said something about it, I'm all self-conscious and it's probably going to get weird. Any complaints due to the following post are all Keeperman13's fault.

Last night was a KOA again, despite Reinen's admonitions. You don't find kitchy photo ops like this in the wilderness though, Reinen.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221205_162630

But I've discovered a new reason for KOAs, out west at least, local beers.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221205_181339

Lookit that! A coyote playing hockey! Beats the no-farm-team-having Mojave coyotes from the other night. The way I'm traveling, I'm not eating in, or out, places, or even buying food day-by-day. I'm pretty sure I have enough calories in here right now to make it to NJ in one go. I basically travel and only stop once halfway in the afternoon for gas, not even going into the store for dumb snacks or regional candybars, as is my wont, then find camp. So it's nice to get the chance to try some of this stuff after I've already settled in.

Overnight was below freezing in Flagstaff, and I had originally outfitted the jeep for hot weather camping in California. I have a sawn-down, jerry-rigged Roll-a-Cot with a mesh panel as a bed, placed directly over a freezer and cooler. I bungeed an old Thermarest accordion to the bottom since leaving, but it was marginal even in the 40s. Too much convection.

So in the 20s last night, I took advantage of the teenage KOA girls' beer recommendations(?!) and drank all night to stay warm. Eventually, I got so recommended, and so warm, that I stripped down to my underwear and went for a walk in the super windy night air. My frozen body was found doing a Jack Nicholson impression from "The Shining" in the morning. Because that's what happens when you drink to stay warm. 0/10: Do not recommend.

In real life, I detoured to Flagstaff to an REI to try and get a stove part. They didn't have it, but I did find a newer, fancier version of the Thermarest, by Nemo. I got the short version, and added it and a space blanket from the jeep to make a mylar sandwich under the bed:

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221205_155451

That, doubled-to-four layers of wool blankets over the mesh, then a 0° quilt and a warm bag liner, and last night was probably a bit too mosty-toasty even. Maybe the beer helped. I didn't even need to invite LittleDog to join me in the back, so he expressed his displeasure by chewing up his foot during the night. Incidentally, I finally tweezed the last of the desert burrs and foxtails out of his paws this morning. Bad dog.

All in all, it was mostly a relocation day. Maybe 260 miles? Mpg dropped to 16-18s, but I was rushing a little in order to get to the REI in time to figure out how not to freeze at night. The jeep handled the elevation with nary a hiccup. The turbo experienced unnoticeable or negligible power loss at 7,000 feet, but jeep's default state is currently overloaded, with several and various even more unaerodynamic protrusions, so your mileage may vary.

Speaking of overloaded, when I camped at the Craggy Wash BLM outside of Lake Havasu a few days ago, I did get out and use the Apex quick swaybar disconnects about halfway through, and experienced an unexpected small side effect that was of my own doing. I went in a bit more than 1.5 miles, and it is a easy, fun path, so far as I went in. Lots of rvs, campervans, and regular cars even, in the begining. Mostly a mix of fancy, six-figure, black Sprinter-base off-road cool guy vans covered and surrounded by solar and communications arrays, and "does that guy live here permanently?" people later on. Random tents sprinkled throughout. I was somehow a bit jealous of all of them.

There's some pea gravel, *Now with extra chunks!*, that becomes close to foot-deep rutted tracks further in, but I didn't need to (read: too lazy) air down, even in my heavier than usual state. It gets a little jostley though, and at a certain weight, at a certain speed, the suspension hit a harmonic that made the CB radio antenna reach in through the window and gently tap me on the shoulder, suggesting that I disconnect the sway bar.

Disconnecting was fine, and at camp I appreciate the bit of auto-leveling it provides:
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221203_163824

But I had forgotten that I added 3/4" pucks to the front stock coils in California. (Sorry suspension guys, I didn't take the time to switch coils to something better, or even takeoffs from the myriads of jeep owners around me at the time. I had just put the winch on right before the trip out west, and spent almost six months watching the front slowly droop before breaking down and putting in the pucks as a temporary measure. Unfortunately, I am well acquainted with "nothing being so permanent as a temporary fix") The now slightly angry compressed front spring rate and my tail-heavy load make resetting the disconnects more difficult than had been usual. I ended up putting the tire a foot up something on the passenger-side, then jumping and pulling sidways while hanging off the side like a maniac, much to the delight of the campers pulling in for the next day. So caveat you emptors that don't think your mods all the way through. Still works though, great product. Bit rusty.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Short post this time, to hide my disappointment in not being able to visit Bearizona yesterday, due to too much junk hanging off and on the jeep. (Coming from New Jersey, I have extensive knowledge of curious-animal vehicular damage from the Six Flags: Great Adventure safari park)

So my best laid plan worked out only halfway today. I went up to the South rim of the Grand Canyon yesterday, and stayed overnight at the Mathers campsite. I saw the chance to see the canyon like normal when I arrived, and then à la mode the next day. I've had this cold front on my tail since I left Santa Cruz; I keep barely outrunning it during the day, yelling "Screw you, macro weather systems!" and giving it the finger in the side mirror, but then it retaliates by throwing wind and rain at me once I stop and am setting up camp. (Man, do I ever intensely dislike wind and rain when setting up camp and cooking) But I tricked it this time, and let it catch up last night to do my Before and After Snow photography bidding.

Waking up this morning:

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_073445

Spot 277. I think the guy saw me doing the "gotta pee shimmy" when I was checking in at the ranger hut. But man, is it not a great spot. You are basically right in the path of everyone farther down the line going to the toilet that's right behind me there, all night.

Maybe it's alright if you pitch a tent, just careful of the free elk scat samples:
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221206_110913

The spaces are pretty close together, and I had two people on either side of me turning generators on intermittently all night, but going to sleep in rain and waking up at the canyon in the snow was pretty worth it.

Or so I thought. Despite planning on snow, I forgot to have the extendo ice scraper at the ready for morning, so rummaging for it in the roofbox and then clearing snow, after waking a bit late due to crummy sleep made me miss the sunrise. Also, my carefully laid plan for snow didn't take into account that it would diminish visibility when still falling. It turns out that the canyon is very large, and therefore actually very far away.

I marked a spot at Hopi Point to take Before and After images, so here you go, before:

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221206_143603

And after (during):

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_085712

I think you can kind of imagine the bush in the lower left?

(That's the actual photo from the actual spot I had marked. I nearly slipped and cracked my skull open going down to take it, despite knowing that nothing would show. I thought it would be funnier to me knowing that I still went down, and it is. Maybe you question my taking a silly, slightly risky path for little to gain and almost nothing to show for it besides an absurd sense of accomplishment but, wait, why'd you buy a jeep again? Are you even on the right forum?)

Not a total loss though, as I got to see a horse rolling in the snow on his back like a dog:
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_083048

Bob the horse, visiting from Pennsylvania.
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_083420

Spent the weekend gambling in Vegas, and came up on a whim and private three-horse trailer full of feed. Missed seeing his mule cousins by about an hour.

ASMSAS

First Name
Marlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aviation
I’m loving your story and I have to ask, have you used everything you took with you or would you leave half of it next time?

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I’m loving your story and I have to ask, have you used everything you took with you or would you leave half of it next time?
The stuff I had when I left San Jose, or the apparently ten boxes worth of junk I brought from New Jersey? I actually finally sorta sorted and gave away that final jumbletub that's been taking up room inside the jeep, just last night:

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. IMG-20221207-WA0002

Unfortunately, this was accomplished by using two smaller folding boxes that were being used as insulation. The small boxes are easier to Tetris though, and I got the harmonica back.

For this trip right now, I've used a lot of stuff, and it all /seems/ useful, but a number of things haven't been necessary yet, e.x. really cold weather gear, recovery gear, spare parts, that house-brick of cheese.

Rather than leave anything out, I wish it was better organized. I've been optimizing a bit every day; I redid the pantry last night too. At the current rate, I predict that I'll have everything efficiently placed and the way I want right as I finish the trip and take everything out again.

Sponsored

ronstar

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, 2021 2dr JL 80th Ann
Thanks for the great story! I like your style. Have fun on the rest of your adventure and please keep us posted. It's an excellent read.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
FWIW; forgive me if this is old news, but i believe you can free camp in National Forests too if not signed otherwise.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Alright, I felt bad for the abbreviated post yesterday. This is for my own good as well, since my sense of time is all screwy now and I easily lose track of what happens on what day.

Here's the one photo of the snowy canyon that I managed to get:

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_093225

I took Arizona Highway 64, Desert View Drive, back down to I-40. It is the slower route, and added even a bit more time than expected, since it was filled with normal tourists, not New Jerseans in a jeep in a rush. Maddeningly, most of them were in crossovers that should have been able to handle the <3" of wettish snow. Maybe they all had summer tires. Thankfully, the drive was beautiful; it saved my sanity in not being able to pass the five or six car deep stacks of slow drivers tailgating(???) each other, by allowing me to take every scenic turnout and counting to 100 in the quiet before going out to chase the pace car once again.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_094132

The jeep picked up a souvenir that morning, courtesy of the front defroster and an old chip. That crack seems to be sending negative reinforcements directly to the new starburst chip that was recently acquired and just repaired the day I left San Jose. This morning I defrosted the windshield by pointing the jeep at the morning sun instead, and tonight I've parked facing east.

After the disappointment of no Bearizona, I was on the lookout for other tourist traps, and the many helpful Meteor Crater signs led the pack.

Nah, I'm kidding, the Meteor Crater Visitor Center is pretty great. $25 base, so you better have a discount, or be old or something. I paid the full price, but thought the fancy bathroom and lounge out in the middle of nowhere were pretty worthwhile.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_125540

Aliens and spaceships too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_123554

The museum and enormous hole in the ground are probably all educational and stuff too, if you're into that. There's a little "Pet Ramada" in the parking lot for if you go when it's hotter, because seeing everything would take a little while. I wish I could have spent more time there, but I have a nebulous, imaginary timetable to keep.

The sound of my stock AT tires don't drive me crazy, but I tighten my load in the morning and at stops, so I guess I was only halfway into the mood when I went through Winslow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221207_134546

I guess that's why nobody slowed down to take a look at me, but maybe that 'stick out your leg and hike up your skirt' move doesn't work as well as the cartoons suggest.

My luck at KOAs finally ran out last night, as I got no water or electric, but all the peanut butter mud I could or could not handle at my spot next to a Burger King Drive-thru, behind a no-slat fence. No beer either. 25°F, so it was a one-dog night, which is lucky because that's all I brought with me. No use complaining when I'm making all the choices. Maybe I should fire that decision quarter. At least I got to sleep well enough, poop in an actual toilet, and jump right onto the highway in the morning.

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221208_073046

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
FWIW; forgive me if this is old news, but i believe you can free camp in National Forests too if not signed otherwise.
I had been thinking that too, but no overnights with a dog so far as Ive seen. I think really big ones like Yellowstone have specific campgrounds that allow them. I know, I was surprised too. You can usually take them in and walk about a bit, but there are often limited areas for even that.

It's apparently a contentious subject. I've seen enough bad dog owners to understand the reasoning though. I've picked up my fair share of random poops and have made errors of my own, even though I work pretty hard with the dog. (Seriously, I picked up someone's bagged dog crap that they carefully left next to a information plaque post at the Grand Canyon, not 50 yards from a trash can. What even is the point of that?)

State park camping seems to accommodate dogs often, but it pays to check ahead. I really stink at checking ahead though.

Thanks for the great story! I like your style. Have fun on the rest of your adventure and please keep us posted. It's an excellent read.
I appreciate the appreciation. I just put up a new post right after you said that. It's been a pretty fun trip thus far, so I might want to prepare to give my brother the bad news.

Like the rest of you, I'm also waiting to see where I end up next.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
just to clarify; i was referring to National Forests; Ntl Parks are a different story.

i'm with you on the dogs; i try to make sure mine is welcome, not a nusiance... and we've picked up our share of Karma Poo!

I had been thinking that too, but no overnights with a dog so far as Ive seen. I think really big ones like Yellowstone have specific campgrounds that allow them. I know, I was surprised too. You can usually take them in and walk about a bit, but there are often limited areas for even that.

It's apparently a contentious subject. I've seen enough bad dog owners to understand the reasoning though. I've picked up my fair share of random poops and have made errors of my own, even though I work pretty hard with the dog. (Seriously, I picked up someone's bagged dog crap that they carefully left next to a information plaque post at the Grand Canyon, not 50 yards from a trash can. What even is the point of that?)

State park camping seems to accommodate dogs often, but it pays to check ahead. I really stink at checking ahead though.

I appreciate the appreciation. I just put up a new post right after you said that. It's been a pretty fun trip thus far, so I might want to prepare to give my brother the bad news.

Like the rest of you, I'm also waiting to see where I end up next.

Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I'd suggest you learn the benefits of camping on BLM land. It's all around you. Free to use. Much, much better.

KOAs are horrible.
Seconded. I did this in most states on my cross country, always was fun at night trying to find where to park and sleep. Found plenty of off-road only use trails that the Jeep made quick work of.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
just to clarify; i was referring to National Forests; Ntl Parks are a different story.

i'm with you on the dogs; i try to make sure mine is welcome, not a nusiance... and we've picked up our share of Karma Poo!
Yep, national forests are perfectly camp-able for free. You mostly have no facilities and have to pack everything out but is a great option. Most, if not all, parks you need reservations at specific sites and dogs are usually not allowed or severely restricted. When I was in CA, I would find an adjacent national forest to sleep in then drive into the park in the morning. There's a very convenient strip of NF right next to Yosemite and going in and out you don't even need to pass through any of the ranger entrances.

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @LittleDog, I've read every word of your story. Great adventures are great adventures. I don't know where you're at now - but if you need a place to crash in Colorado for a night look me up. We're in Fort Collins, have a fenced yard, a chocolate lab, guest room, hot shower, a driveway in a safe neighborhood and a fresh bottle of Aberfeldy 16 year if you're into that sorta thing. Seriously. If you need a place to crash for the night and re-group my wife and I would love to have ya. Drive safe. Peace, JBC.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@zouch National Forests, not Parks, gotcha. Feeling a bit dumb now, because I know that, and even drove through a few, but it didn't occur to me at the time. Again, not something usually on my radar; not many National Forests around NJ. I've never heard it called karma poop before, but I'm using that from now on. I think the karma already balanced a bit. If someone asks me where I got the term, I'll pretend to hide you behind non-attribution, but really I'll probably just have forgotten it was you. Thanks for understanding.

@Avar928 Pre-Covid and sans-dog, if roadtripping, I would usually have a fun day, then drive until 10-11pm and pull into whatever well-known motel was around and chat up the bored night-shift front desk clerk into a discount. (The least you'll get is probably the AAA 10% discount, depending on how bored/chatty the clerk is, try it) If I remember, I'll see if any of the galaxy of stars on my Google Maps nearby are lodging. (Chattanooga Choo Choo!) It being winter now and my varied locations changes things too. I'd prefer to setup camp in the light, or at least beforr the sudden drop in temperature and increase in wind that the deserts and mountains thoughtfully provide to let you know that the sun went down. If I'm going to cook and let the dog get a good walk in, that means stopping around 2-3pm now. It's not terrible, but certainly requires more forethought than traveling solo. (Especially with a bright white jeep that loudly advertises, "Hey everyone, I'm totally covered and filled with treasure and/or junk, come check it out! Most of this stuff is barely bolted on or just held on with string!) Thanks for the tips though, especially about Yosemite. Maybe in the future.

@jbcrane Wow, thank you, sincerely, for that incredible offer. It's heartening that something so simple as the same love for a boxy, anachronistic, slightly tempermental vehicle, and using it to travel willy-nilly across a great country, can lead a person to offer, sight unseen, a room in their home. Thank you for increasing my faith in mankind just a little bit. As much as I'd love to meet you and your whisky, err, wife, maybe you're lucky that I'm not there. I am currently sitting in a bed(!) in my underwear here at 11pm, eating a big bowl of an amazing new experiment of both rice and grits cooked together in the same pot, after a entire-boiler consuming hot shower, with a decidedly unshowered dog next to me. At least your linens are glad.

'But LittleDog, I thought you were a cheapskate, or loved roughing it in a $50,000 vehicle, surrounded by questionably useful junk?' you might ask. Well, this time I was lucky. I was at a KOA again, mostly for electric, but also welcomed the chance to change the nitrate-rich water that I smugggled from Arizona. I spent a night in a tent spot, but tonight I'm glad my grits didn't fry in the kitchen, nor my rice burn on the grill, and that the jeep made it up that hill, but due to poop-related circumstances, they moved me on up from a barren, windblown tent pad into a de-luxe cabin in the sky. It's on the west side though.

(Electrical usage is a new variable that I've never had to deal with before. I have a Jackery 1000Wh solar "generator". It's been pretty great so far, just charging off the 12V always-on plug in the back of the jeep; I usually drive enough during the day to top it off by nightfall, then switch everything over to the Jackery. Oh, I should mention this when talking about mpg I suppose. The alternator is constantly feeding a small Engel freezer/fridge and charging the Jackery as I drive, but there's also an 80W panel on the hood. I don't think the charge controller and the jeep are being smart in using the solar as I drive, but I haven't gotten around to pretending I know what I'm doing rewiring it yet. I have one 100W solar panel with me, but it is stored so ingeniously, securely, and space-savingly as to be inaccessible. Not as useful now in the winter anyway. Only problem is, lately a wire is jiggling loose as I drive or something, because I'll drive a full day without it charging. Like many gremlins, it only occurs if I don't neurotically check on it during the day)

Whoops, as I was typing this, it has become past midnight. Way past camping bedtime. I accidentally drove a couple of high mileage relocations, so I missed posting a couple of days already, but I'm pooped now, (thoroughly pooped even, as I even have my own en suite throneroom) so I'll try to update tomorrow.

I'll leave off with a photo that might make jbcrane consider freely offering his residence to itinerant jeepers:
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221211_200633

He was right about the re-grouping thing though. I think that's most of the non-emergency food from the jeep. There's a folding table just off-camera that's piled high with sundry other items. Those weird hiking boots are the cheapest colour, ugly. And that's LittleDog, wondering why we're sleeping in this hot, dry, wooden box instead of the shakey cold metal and fiberglass box that he's finally gotten to smell just the way he likes.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
A short addendum to the "Maybe don't invite LittleDog into your house" consideration. Here he is now this morning:
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221212_073313

He's doing his best Hannibal Lecter impression because though he's pretty good with not licking if you tell him, it only sticks for five minutes if you leave the room, and this cabin amazingly has rooms. I had seen him limp four or five steps yesterday, and it turned out that he had stepped on a big wacky thorny thing. I mean, big. And wacky. So big that I thought he was going to shower me with riches or something after I pulled it out of his paw with my tiny mouse hands. I forgot about it, but apparently he didn't, and he licked his front paw raw last night. He currently has one big paw and is convalescing on a pillow that he isn't normally allowed on.

As for the person called LittleDog, he was up at 5 something AM, banging around in the kitchen(!):
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast to coast drive in JLU, going home now. 20221212_073233

Because washing dirty beer cans and cooking a single half-dollar sized chunk of shortrib for some reason are important tasks. A generous homeowner would also have enjoyed the high-pitched serenade of the hood vent and a pressure cooker for over half an hour, because I apparently do not understand the difference between the Minutes and Hours column on a phone timer at 5 in the morning.

Now ask yourself, are these really beings that I want to invite into my home? What if they're like vampires and can't enter until I invite them in, but there's good reason to not invite them in? One might be a cannibal? And didn't they already get kicked out of two states for smelling like fish or something? Be forewarned.
Sponsored