Perticon

Perticon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURR
Welcome and the trip looks amazing. One comment - as someone living in Chicago, there is really nothing going on in the city right now as the COVID restrictions have shut down all the museums and many of the restaurants are down as well. Those open are on restricted hours, usually take out only (winter is kind of incompatible with outdoor dining). Unless you're meeting friends for NYE I would save the miles and head west instead of north.
Yeah we are meeting friends there for nye. Chicago has been on my list for awhile, and even though I am only going to get about 30% of the experience I am still pumped to get there!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Perticon

Perticon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURR
December 29, 2020

Day 2: 1005/5147m

8am check out and we set off to The Great Smoky Mountains, and to be brutally honest it was a fail.. The scenery was beautiful, the hiking was vast, but we wanted to get a little dirt on the tires, and that wasn’t feasible. We quickly learned that the GSM is not the place to go break in the Jeep.. and due to the holidays, the traffic/tourists were absolutely insane. We spent about 2-3 hours driving around the area, and barely found it necessary to get out of the Jeep due to the amount of people. Delaney was a hero, and helped me pull an audible and head out west to Windrock Park, Tennessee. She downloaded an app called Badge of Honor and was able to find some pretty amazing trails. We headed out with a destination of Panther Rock Trail #51. Once we got out there, it wasn’t as simple to navigate as we anticipated but man were there some amazing trails! Delaney got her first taste of spotting (while trying to record) and I got to put Perticon in 4H! :D Needless to say we were both grinning from ear to ear! Unfortunately, we were fighting the clock at this point, but still got to see an amazing sunset and put the jeep to the test as the sun tucked behind the hills. Delaney got behind the wheel and navigated us out of the park and back on the road to head to her sister in Lexington. Hungry, a bit tired, and definitely dirty I think that is enough for day two!

PICS: Sorry for the poor quality photos, iPhone is terrible in low light :(
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast 2 Coast 5,147 mile JLUR Trip 165BDE76-9ED3-48D4-B520-3F36293CD552
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast 2 Coast 5,147 mile JLUR Trip 36AB062E-E621-49CB-B179-B151D931E251
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast 2 Coast 5,147 mile JLUR Trip 7EEB9CFD-3283-40D8-B414-5A55532060DB

JLphotoman

First Name
Felipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 door Sport
Great Journey. How many files did it take to your final destination?

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Epic trip! Found you on Instagram (I'm @track.n.trail) and will be following along!

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Welcome, and killer way to enter the forum.

Stay safe, enjoy the ride. and don't rush the itinerary. Home will be there when y'all get back.

OP
OP
Perticon

Perticon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURR
Hit this place up in KC it does not disappoint and reviews prove it. The OG gas station is the place to go. https://www.joeskc.com/
Damn we were going to try to go here today but it’s closed on sundays! We are headed to Q39 tonight, hoping to get that killer KC BBQ

OP
OP
Perticon

Perticon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURR
Great Journey. How many files did it take to your final destination?
We are in Kansas City right now, but the estimated mileage is just over 5k without little day trips included

OP
OP
Perticon

Perticon

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURR
December 31, 2020

Day 3-4: 1387/5147m

Lexington was a huge success. We got a solid lift in, explored the city with Delaney’s sister and finally snagged the rest of the camping gear that we needed for our next leg of the trip. The addition of the Pittman Outdoors Jeep air mattress is a worthwhile purchase, I will post a picture of it at the end of this post. Carson’s for lunch was probably some of the best food and drinks you will get in Lexington! I did The Old Forester Bourbon flight which included an 1870 Original Batch, 1897 Bottled in Bond, and a 1920 Prohibition Style paired with some epic candied bacon. Later that evening we headed down to the Distillery district for a couple brews and a piece of Goodfellas pizza, followed by an epic battle at Battle Axe. This was the highlight of my night as the "babysitter" that was watching over us told me I should joining their team after I hit the bullseye something like 7 times in a row. I will say, if you have not done axe throwing before, it is an absolute blast! We spent the rest of the evening packing the jeep with our additional gear and headed out first thing in the morning.

PICS:
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast 2 Coast 5,147 mile JLUR Trip F5232CA6-12EB-4424-A398-20451D966677
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast 2 Coast 5,147 mile JLUR Trip 4445718F-B6E4-4D46-B62A-3853AFB8184F
Jeep Wrangler JL Coast 2 Coast 5,147 mile JLUR Trip D0CD8C38-F22A-4F08-BD59-FEE8C5FC283E

Sponsored

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Hi fellow jeepers, this is my first thread here and I promise to do my best at keeping it short, but also sharing our trip as much as the WiFi permits!

WHO:
Brian (Me)
Delaney (My girlfriend)
Perticon (Our 2020 Sting Grey Rubicon Recon)

WHAT:
We are taking a 30 day trip starting in Sarasota, FL and ending in Walnut Creek, CA to get our new-to-us jeep home. We recently purchased our Rubicon from John (@jeme) and have been waiting until the holidays to fly to Florida, pick it up and start our amazing journey home! The jeep is essentially stock, but John did add a couple creature comforts before we purchased it and treated this rig like his baby, as will we! :) As it sits, it currently has just over 4,000 miles, and is loaded up with as much camping gear and warm clothes as we could fit without turning this thing into a uhaul. Delaney and I will be working the entire trip which will come with its own set of challenges, but we thought there was no better office than The Great Smoky Mountains of North Carolina or the beautiful rocky landscape of Moab. We are currently leveraging the att&t integrated WiFi, our Skyroam hot spot or our cell phones as our main source of connectivity to "the man" even though we plan to disconnect as much as possible :P

WHERE:
This is where the fun begins, and while this itinerary is our initial plan, we may iterate on it during our trip or might not ever make it back to the Bay at all! We are also very open to having people from this forum join us during any of our camping adventures, skiing days, or hitting the trails! This is also my first time trying to find said trails, so if you have any advice or MUST DO's please do not hesitate to holler at us!

Dec. 28 Sarasota —> Atlanta (7hrs)
Dec. 29 Atlanta —> Great Smokey Mtns. (3hrs)
Dec. 29 Great Smokey Mtns. —> Lexington (3hrs)
Dec. 30 Day with Max and Colt
Dec. 31 Lexington —> Chicago (5.5hrs)
Jan. 1 day in Chicago
Jan. 2 Chicago —> Kansas City (7.5hrs)
Jan. 3 day in Kansas City
Jan. 4 Kansas City —> Badlands SD (9hrs)
Jan. 5 badlands exploring
Jan. 6 Badlands —> Mount Rushmore (2hrs)
Jan. 6 Crazy horse mtn/mount Rushmore
Jan. 7 Crazy horse —> Denver —> Breck (7.5hrs)
Jan. 7-10 explore with Maddie & Nichole
Jan. 10 Breckenridge —> Moab (4.5hrs)
Jan. 10-14 Spend time wheelin in Moab
Jan. 14 Moab —> monument valley(2.5hrs) —> antelope canyon/horseshoe bend (2hrs)
Jan. 15 Horseshoe bend —> Zion (2.2hrs)
Jan. 16 Zion —> Grand Canyon (5.2hrs)
Jan. 17 Grand Canyon —> Sedona (2.1hrs)
Jan. 18 Sedona —> Las Vegas (4.2hrs)
Jan. 19 Day in Vegas
Jan. 20 Las Vegas —> Death Valley (2.1hrs)
Jan. 21 Death Valley —> Socal (4.5hrs)
Jan. 21-24 SoCal wheelin w/crew
Jan. 24 SoCal —> home (6 30hrs)

WARNING:
I am new to this whole writing/blogging thing so there is a good chance that my mind will take you, the reader, for a wild ride. I am not sure the best way to do this, but in order to add pictures and keep things somewhat live and in order I will post the days in the thread rather than in the OP. If anyone thinks this is a bad idea just let me know and I will simply continue to edit this main post.

PICS:
Here are a couple pictures of us starting our trip and being very eager to get things going!

Jeep Wrangler JL Coast 2 Coast 5,147 mile JLUR Trip D0CD8C38-F22A-4F08-BD59-FEE8C5FC283E
When I saw the title Coast2Coast I assumed there would be aliens, tunnels, and Bigfoot encounters 👍

brican

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Thank you so much for all of the awesome info! We will definitely leverage your experience in our trip! I actually read through your entire blog before we bought the Jeep from John so you helped inspire some of these locations for sure! :)
We were at the Grand Canyon North Rim this summer (amazing place) and took a side trip to Page. We were going to do the slot canyon tour again but it was closed due to Covid-19. Too bad you can't take an additional month to see more.

grandpaq

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JEEP Sahara Unlimited
great trip! I also picked up a JLWU Sahara and drove from Miami, through Macon, St. Louis, Colby, KS to Fairplay, CO. After 2 weeks, we moved to Breckinridge until yesterday. We drove to Santa Fe- tomorrow to Dallas, then New Orleans then back home.
Only casualty was a cracked windshield replaced,( and pitted yesterday by an errant driver) , otherwise I absolutely love driving this thing. The 4WD Lo sticks when cold, and it has been cold for weeks!

Have a great time, and enjoy the company along with the vistas.

ps Wear a mask! 😉

Brian NorCal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 99 TJ Sport
Sounds like a great trip. If you have some extra time in the Black hills, Devils Tower is not far and a nice hike around. Although, I am not sure how it would be in winter. Have a great time in the new Jeep.
Sponsored