Sponsored

C'mon Bestop give the JL some Love (#1 on my list)

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
For those of you that want to use the Bestop Soft uppers, they are garbage and do not provide a seal. In fact going at speeds of 40+ the top of window pulls away from the top of the door jam as much as 4" that will not prevent the elements from coming in. Not to mention they are not very quiet they flap a lot. Also the finish of the bestop uppers is horrid here is mine. Worst part is Bestop has no fix and cannot guaranty the replacement is any better...

Jeep Wrangler JL C'mon Bestop give the JL some Love (#1 on my list) IMG-2048

Jeep Wrangler JL C'mon Bestop give the JL some Love (#1 on my list) IMG-2047
Sponsored

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
I have a set of besttop soft doors for my 2 door and mine look nothing like that. They leak a little bit if I don't align the upper properly but you can 100% get them to seal if you take a couple seconds to adjust them.

I'm also a little confused about your noise comment - What did you expect from a fabric door with no sound deadening? It's literally just a fabric skin over a frame, of course it's not going to be quiet.

I would ask for a replacement because that window does look a little messed up. Like I said, mine doesn't look anything like that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For those of you that want to use the Bestop Soft uppers, they are garbage and do not provide a seal. In fact going at speeds of 40+ the top of window pulls away from the top of the door jam as much as 4" that will not prevent the elements from coming in. Not to mention they are not very quiet they flap a lot. Also the finish of the bestop uppers is horrid here is mine. Worst part is Bestop has no fix and cannot guaranty the replacement is any better...

IMG-2048.jpg

IMG-2047.jpg
Unfortunately, soft uppers have always been that way, from CJs to YJs to TJs to JKs.

I've got them on my JK. There's really no way to design soft top uppers in a way that won't pull out like that or flap. I don't see how you could leak proof them, either. What they do, though, is keep you from getting soaked and/or they keep you warm. I use them when I intend to mostly drive doors off, but may encounter brief rain or cool temps. They work beautifully in those conditions. They really aren't a full time option unless you live somewhere warm year round or park outside 24/7. They also let me take long trips from home and still have the doorless option. They are really just for temporary shelter, not permanent status. Although I did use them full time on my YJ, including winter.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have a set of besttop soft doors for my 2 door and mine look nothing like that. They leak a little bit if I don't align the upper properly but you can 100% get them to seal if you take a couple seconds to adjust them.

I'm also a little confused about your noise comment - What did you expect from a fabric door with no sound deadening? It's literally just a fabric skin over a frame, of course it's not going to be quiet.

I would ask for a replacement because that window does look a little messed up. Like I said, mine doesn't look anything like that.

I did ask for replacement and they said they could not guaranty any better and they would not hand pick. The fronts (windows) are ok however regarding the noise the fronts has so much slack ( a couple inches) they slap against the metal frame. They could have alieviated that by using velcro to attached the fabric to the inner frame. With 4 doors the noise is louder than driving naked.

Maybe a 2dr is better in terms of seal when sitting I have a perfect seal no daylight when driving above 40 mph they start to pull away at the top, so much I can put my hand all the way through between the uppers and the door jam. I will add wind direction amplifies this issue. -

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Unfortunately, soft uppers have always been that way, from CJs to YJs to TJs to JKs.

I've got them on my JK. There's really no way to design soft top uppers in a way that won't pull out like that or flap. I don't see how you could leak proof them, either. What they do, though, is keep you from getting soaked and/or they keep you warm. I use them when I intend to mostly drive doors off, but may encounter brief rain or cool temps. They work beautifully in those conditions. They really aren't a full time option unless you live somewhere warm year round or park outside 24/7. They also let me take long trips from home and still have the doorless option. They are really just for temporary shelter, not permanent status. Although I did use them full time on my YJ, including winter.

I only bought them to drive from home (Seattle) to our place 200 miles away in Lake Chelan and when there I take them off and put on the Tube 1/2 doors. It was a pain to take off the stock doors and put on if rain was in the forecast. However for the 3-4 hour drive each way they were so loud the wife cannot stand them and frankly I am not a fan I would rather drive naked however we have to go over a 3000' pass where is it always a bit cold.

For maybe 1/2 the cost they are OK however for $1500 not so much

Sponsored

Hytep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU | Sting Gray | 2” (3.5”?) MOPAR lift | KMC XD Panzers | 35” BFG KO2
Occupation
Flight Paramedic
Waiting patiently for the core doors for the JL.... living in the Midwest, it’s hard to run naked for more than a day or two thanks to the incessant pop-up showers. I’d pick up a full four door set of bestow core doors right now if only they were available!

GinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2018 Mojito! JLUR [GONE];
High Bestop, any update on the availability of core doors for the JL?

Thanks

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
High Bestop, any update on the availability of core doors for the JL?

Thanks
I think the problem with the Core doors is the fact that we can almost buy factory half doors for nearing the same price. How about some affordable half doors?

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Why doesn't anyone buy salvaged JL doors and just Sawzall the window frames off?
Someone did this, I think on this same Forum? The problem with this is that the window frames begin and end above the body line so you don't really get that half door look or feel. The bottom of the window opening is still above the body line (for another way to phrase it).

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Just looking through the site, I feel like Bestop kind of quit on the JL. Not only are there a lot more items for the JK and earlier, but back in the day you used to be able to get a plethora of colors. Now it's black diamond or black twill. I'd be a lot more inclined to buy a replacement top if I could get it in Heritage Tan or Grey...something to individualize the jeep on the road.
Sponsored