Clutch took a dump.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
2018 JLUR with 6-speed manual. Clutch got softer and softer, eventually wouldn't return to the normal position.

Dealer called, the slave cylinder failed. They are replacing: Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and of course, the slave cylinder. I'm guessing the slave cylinder contaminated the clutch with hydraulic fluid.

JP18
Sponsored

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
Wow.

How many miles?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Sorry for your loss.

In before tons of people tell you it’s your fault because you don’t know how to drive a stick because these Jeeps are indestructible except on the case of user error. Lol.

OP
OP

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for your loss.

In before tons of people tell you it’s your fault because you don’t know how to drive a stick because these Jeeps are indestructible except on the case of user error. Lol.
Nah it ain't me. I've had countless sticks and never changed a clutch except for a used F350 that slipped in 3rd gear with a load behind it.

JP18

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Nah it ain't me. I've had countless sticks and never changed a clutch except for a used F350 that slipped in 3rd gear with a load behind it.

JP18
Oh you don’t have to explain to me, I get it that yours just happened to be a POS from the start. It was kind of a joke on the fact that every time anyone posts about a manual transmission or clutch going out on almost EVERY type of automotive forum, smug pricks come out of the woodwork blaming the poor schmuck saying “Obviously the problem is the driver because I’ve driven 6.2 million miles since 1903 and never had to replace a clutch! It must be because you can’t drive a stick!” Or in this case, “Stop whining, FCA has sold 500,000 Jeeps and only most haven’t had clutch problems so don’t come in here and bitch about it, you whiny baby! What about Toyota accelerators sticking and Takata airbags!!!”

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Oh you don’t have to explain to me, I get it that yours just happened to be a POS from the start. It was kind of a joke on the fact that every time anyone posts about a manual transmission or clutch going out on almost EVERY type of automotive forum, smug pricks come out of the woodwork blaming the poor schmuck saying “Obviously the problem is the driver because I’ve driven 6.2 million miles since 1903 and never had to replace a clutch! It must be because you can’t drive a stick!” Or in this case, “Stop whining, FCA has sold 500,000 Jeeps and only most haven’t had clutch problems so don’t come in here and bitch about it, you whiny baby! What about Toyota accelerators sticking and Takata airbags!!!”
wish more people like you. oh its a jeep, it of course don't go straight. oh it's a jeep, of course it has no power. oh it's a jeep, of course it rattles and making noises. my old 4.0 straight only makes 100 bhp and never overheats and its smooth and make enough power. blablablablabla.
Well if Toyota selling 70 series land cruiser in NA market that would eliminate most of the problem.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how this transmission is designed, but I lost the slave cylinder on the NS370 in my JK and it didn't hurt anything else. Maybe they are just being thorough? It would be interesting to see how this Aisin's design is.different.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Not sure how this transmission is designed, but I lost the slave cylinder on the NS370 in my JK and it didn't hurt anything else. Maybe they are just being thorough? It would be interesting to see how this Aisin's design is.different.
Not sure if they are being thorough or over repairing the concern. Many times the techs don't know how to diag a concern a just replace as much as possible so they don't have a comeback.

Last edited:

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Most transmissions have the slave cylinder outside of the bell housing with a fork connected to the throwout bearing. However, Jeep has favored, at least in some models, a slave cylinder that’s an assembly with the throw out bearing, so you have to pull back the whole transmission to replace the slave/throwout bearing. In that case you might as well replace everything at once. That’s probably the case on the JL. I haven’t looked.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Or in this case, “Stop whining, FCA has sold 500,000 Jeeps and only most haven’t had clutch problems so don’t come in here and bitch about it, you whiny baby! What about Toyota accelerators sticking and Takata airbags!!!”
Ah, yes. I remember getting this kinda flack during the JK heydays, if you can ever call them that, even though the NSG370 was notorious for having shitty throwout bearings.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Most transmissions have the slave cylinder outside of the bell housing with a fork connected to the throwout bearing. However, Jeep has favored, at least in some models, a slave cylinder that’s an assembly with the throw out bearing, so you have to pull back the whole transmission to replace the slave/throwout bearing. In that case you might as well replace everything at once. That’s probably the case on the JL. I haven’t looked.
The slave cylinder is external of the transmission.

Why would you replace everything if it isnt needed?

If theres alot of miles I get the idea of while your there, replace it.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The slave cylinder is external of the transmission.

Why would you replace everything if it isnt needed?

If theres alot of miles I get the idea of while your there, replace it.
Technicians seldom fix anything anymore. They simply replace everything that might be affected. Maybe it’s more cost effective? When something goes wrong internally in an automatic transmission many manufacturers just pull and replace the entire unit rather than going in, seeing what failed, and only repairing or replacing that component.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
Technicians seldom fix anything anymore. They simply replace everything that might be affected. Maybe it’s more cost effective? When something goes wrong internally in an automatic transmission many manufacturers just pull and replace the entire unit rather than going in, seeing what failed, and only repairing or replacing that component.
It comes down to what the manufacturer wants to do for transmission repair vs replace. FCA uses a 70% rule for major component repair or replace.

If the cost of repair is at or more than 70% of the replacement cost they replace it. This applies to mostly engines and transmission repairs.

OP
OP

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the reason that they may have replaced everything between the engine and the transmission is probably due to fluid contamination.

They called me and told me it's ready, I'll have the work order and the parts list when I pick it up on Jan 2nd (out of town 'til then).

JP18
Sponsored