Clutch Repair Not Covered under Warranty

mletschin

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I did a search and didnt find anything specific on ways this has been addressed but I am less than happy with FCA and dealers right now.
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara. Currently at 13,600 miles and currently sitting unable to drive at the dealer to get a clutch replaced.

I bought the Jeep from Ourisman in Bowie in Sept. of 2019

June 2020 - Take it in for Auto Start not working, get told its a vacuum issue and its repaired
Clutch Recall Marked as repaired but I was never notified​
August 17, 2020 - While driving in 4Hi on a dirt hill at Peters Mill Trail (a Jeep Badge of Honor trail) it began billowing white smoke and smelled of burnt clutch.
August 19, 2020 (10,546 Miles)- Take it to Ourisman to have it looked at. Tell them the story. The come back and say the clutch is fine but my auto start isnt working and it needs to be fixed again. Also I need to get the calibration done for tires, I went from stock to 34.5" - their cost $600, claiming nothing was covered because it was dirty, yes they said that, Service bulletin attached to documentation says $100 to dealer $125 to end user. No explanation for the extra $500 and the white smoke was blamed on driving through water.
August 20, 2020 (10,596 Miles) - Took to Safford and they did the tire calibration for the $125 and told everything else was fine.
October 23, 2020 - Drove the Dickey Bell Trail - Also a Jeep Badge of Honor Trail
October 27, 2020 (13,600 Miles) - Took back to Safford limping as it would not accelerate and was dropping off of cruise control. Told that I need a new clutch, pressure plate and throwoff bearing for $2550.

Being told its not covered by warranty because they cant find a defect and that I drove it "harshly" by going off road and it was past the 12 month/12,000 miles.

This seems ludacris to me that this is not covered when I brought up an issue with a clutch at 10K miles and they told me it was fine. They clearly didnt visually inspect the actual pressure plate. I am beyond mad about this right now that this isnt covered and how a barely more than a year old vehicle that I have taken care of and used only for the intended uses isnt covered. I have driven manual transmission for the better part of 30 years and never had to replace a clutch with less than 30K miles.

Any suggestions? I have talked to Jeep Wave and got told that they didnt care about Ourisman trying to bilk me out of the money as it was in the past and then when I got a supervisor I was told it wasnt covered and he would not even consider it because he looked and the Mopar techs followed their documented troubleshooting.. If they had then either the training is wrong or they didnt follow it.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I did a search and didnt find anything specific...
I know that sucks man. You'll likely be eating this clutch replacement. Most dealers aren't going to support any modified, wheeled jeep with a clutch replacement outside of the 12k miles, especially if any part of the clutch is dirty around the bellhousing. That's a red flag to them.

It's one area where Jeep Cares is going to back the dealer up unless it's 100% stock and it's an obvious clutch failure.

A smoking clutch in a sport/sahara with 315's or 35's will never go over unless the dealer itself installed the tires pre-sale and then again...that's only if it's not wheeled or shows any signs of abuse.

A new clutch comes as a "kit". It's a dual disc clutch with one disc being part of the pressure plate assembly.

I feel you're a victim of wheeling 35's with a 2:72 transfer case and stock gearing. If you go up in tire size, something has to give if you don't adjust your mechanical advantage, as well.

footose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Just had this experience and I'm furious.

The clutch has a vent that allows dirt in? This is 75 years of offroading experience at its best ? And I gotta pay to have it fixed after 10k because it's voided warranty?

What a joke
Trail rated my ass.

OP
OP

mletschin

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just had this experience and I'm furious.

The clutch has a vent that allows dirt in? This is 75 years of offroading experience at its best ? And I gotta pay to have it fixed after 10k because it's voided warranty?

What a joke
Trail rated my ass.
Call Jeep Cares you should still be covered.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I would have regeared 20,000 miles ago, but parts isn't not for to buying. My vending provider saying I parts installed getting beforE aPril.
Sponsored