Clutch Recall - new clutch pics

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My clutch is getting replaced for the recall. I told my service advisor that I wanted to see the old parts compared to the new and I got the call Friday to come and look. Here's some pic's, I'm not seeing any difference between old and new.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall - new clutch pics jl clutch old and new 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall - new clutch pics jl clutch pressure plate old and new 2

new flywheel (no pic of the old one)
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall - new clutch pics jl clutch new flywheel 2

It looks like there is a bearing in the original flywheel to support the transmission input shaft. From the pictures I've seen, the Centerforce flywheel does not support the input shaft, is that a problem with the Centerforce flywheel?

I also have questions about the clutch issue being caused by air in the hydraulic clutch line preventing the clutch from fully disengaging, leading to clutch failure. In my experience, failure of the clutch to fully disengage makes it hard or impossible to shift into gear. I haven't heard any one complain about not being able to shift gears when they engage the clutch with the failed systems.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
My clutch is getting replaced for the recall. I told my service advisor that I wanted to see the old parts compared to the new and I got the call Friday to come and look. Here's some pic's, I'm not seeing any difference between old and new.

new flywheel (no pic of the old one)

It looks like there is a bearing in the original flywheel to support the transmission input shaft. From the pictures I've seen, the Centerforce flywheel does not support the input shaft, is that a problem with the Centerforce flywheel?

I also have questions about the clutch issue being caused by air in the hydraulic clutch line preventing the clutch from fully disengaging, leading to clutch failure. In my experience, failure of the clutch to fully disengage makes it hard or impossible to shift into gear. I haven't heard any one complain about not being able to shift gears when they engage the clutch with the failed systems.
I'm in the same boat waiting for parts to replace my clutch bc of the recall. My clutch had started slipping a bit the last month at 27k miles. Are you implying that FCA is providing the same clutch that will likely have the same issues?

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the same boat waiting for parts to replace my clutch bc of the recall. My clutch had started slipping a bit the last month at 27k miles. Are you implying that FCA is providing the same clutch that will likely have the same issues?
The new clutch has a higher revision number than the old one, but I don't think it is a special recall clutch, I think it's just the newest version. I think the recall is based on the theory that air in the hydraulics causes the clutch failure, not a defective clutch. I'm not convinced the failure is due to air in the hydraulics so I guess I am implying the recall doesn't fix the problem. (I do not have any special knowledge regarding the clutch and/or the recall)

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
The new clutch has a higher revision number than the old one, but I don't think it is a special recall clutch, I think it's just the newest version. I think the recall is based on the theory that air in the hydraulics causes the clutch failure, not a defective clutch. I'm not convinced the failure is due to air in the hydraulics so I guess I am implying the recall doesn't fix the problem. (I do not have any special knowledge regarding the clutch and/or the recall)
Yeah...the hose on mine reattached without a leak, but the jeep failed the 4th gear clutch drop test slipping alot. I really hope the clutch parts dont take a long time...suppose to go wheelin June 16th.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah...the hose on mine reattached without a leak, but the jeep failed the 4th gear clutch drop test slipping alot. I really hope the clutch parts dont take a long time...suppose to go wheelin June 16th.
My parts took 3 weeks, they were ordered on 5/7.

Sponsored

DragonFly7

First Name
Lorrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JLU
My clutch was taken care of...(took 2 weeks to get the parts and get it done) Clutch was mushy, loss of pressure and leaking fluid, They also discovered my brake line was leaking, and I told them My passenger front tire sensor wasn't reading, it had to be changed out. Despite the sensor being changed out, it is not reading less than 7 miles out of the dealer parking lot.

DragonFly7

First Name
Lorrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JLU
Not in this case..... it has been 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my JL back today with the new clutch and it finally works as it should have worked 2yrs and 20k ago. My original clutch was so light and touchy that I was still stalling it out about once a month, but I never detected slipping.

Now there is increased pressure and consistent feel, the clutch engages like it should have all along. It takes more force over a shorter distance to overcome the pressure plate and release the clutch. It definitely feels like improved parts, but it could be possible that air in the hydraulic pressure line (which the dealer said they found) was causing a more gradual disengagement and erratic engagement.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Having no access to information other than what you guys have posted, I'd still be willing to bet the new clutch, while physically identical, is probably significantly different (stronger springs, etc) in ways that are not visible. I doubt that they'd just throw parts at something as important and potentially dangerous... This from a long time mechanic.
Let 'er buck.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Having no access to information other than what you guys have posted, I'd still be willing to bet the new clutch, while physically identical, is probably significantly different (stronger springs, etc) in ways that are not visible. I doubt that they'd just throw parts at something as important and potentially dangerous... This from a long time mechanic.
Let 'er buck.
It certainly feels like improved parts, but according to my service advisor there isn't a recall on existing parts inventory so you could theoretically still get old parts installed for a regular clutch replacement.

Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
How long were you without your Jeep during the recall? I have to get mine in soon but I’m a procrastinator.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long were you without your Jeep during the recall? I have to get mine in soon but I’m a procrastinator.
Dropped off 5/7, picked up 6/1.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
That sucks! Just shy of a month? Good thing I have a motorcycle to entertain me while I wait. Thanks for the response!

MUD-H2O

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR 3.6L 6-Speed
Occupation
Web Developer
I just took mine in yesterday for a fluid leak near the driver side front tire. They originally said it was condensation drop from the AC. I got pissed off and told them to put it back on the lift and look again.

Turned out to be the clutch fluid and needs the master cylinder and all lines replaced which is being done as part of the recall.

I hope to God it doesn't take a month to get it back.
Sponsored