Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
I've actually increasingly used the displayed gear because there are occasions I don't want to move my hand for a tactile check. I'm used to a loud YJ engine, so I'm not yet really able to hear 3k versus 4k in the 3.6. :blush:
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
While it might seem to be only a minor issue it brings up the question of.... If they can't get a simple font or alignment of a number correct then why should I expect them to get a major issue such as the clutch correct?​
Looks to me like it is not crooked but rather the top part of the six stopped short.

JeepJLKY2018

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl
Looks like I was one of the lucky ones… Noticed my 2018 with 42,000 miles started having the “stop/start service” light come on, called the dealer and they said it was common for the recall and they could fix it…took it to the dealer and paid a $2,000+ repair bill for a full clutch replacement … parts back order until second week of December..I’ve reached out to FCA for help and was referred back to the dealer…. Dealer says damaged could be from anything my driving included….here’s to praying that this actually fixes the problem…

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like I was one of the lucky ones… Noticed my 2018 with 42,000 miles started having the “stop/start service” light come on, called the dealer and they said it was common for the recall and they could fix it…took it to the dealer and paid a $2,000+ repair bill for a full clutch replacement … parts back order until second week of December..I’ve reached out to FCA for help and was referred back to the dealer…. Dealer says damaged could be from anything my driving included….here’s to praying that this actually fixes the problem…
How exactly are you one of the lucky ones with all this?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It was sarcasm, apologies if it didn’t land as intended.
Lol, nah, it probably flew just fine with most folks. I'm just tired and slow.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I really don’t think the stop start service light has anything to do with the clutch. Were you having Physcial issue’s with clutch engagement/ slippage?

My stop start light came on due to a re gear and stayed on for over a year haha. Then my battery died and I finally did a reset. No more stop start light.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got mine updated. Haven’t noticed the crooked 6 b/c I haven’t even made it to that gear. Completely useless now. It’ll stay that way also until I regear. I knew it was a chance I may have to going to 37s and they were right. Definitely will need a regear to get back my 6 gearing. Haha

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got mine updated. Haven’t noticed the crooked 6 b/c I haven’t even made it to that gear. Completely useless now. It’ll stay that way also until I regear. I knew it was a chance I may have to going to 37s and they were right. Definitely will need a regear to get back my 6 gearing. Haha
I'd recommend 4.88 for 37's. I'm running 4.56 with 35's and it is absolutely perfect. 6th gear is GREAT on the highway. It pulls hills and can pass without downshifting. Just my 2 cents.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'd recommend 4.88 for 37's. I'm running 4.56 with 35's and it is absolutely perfect. 6th gear is GREAT on the highway. It pulls hills and can pass without downshifting. Just my 2 cents.
I had 4.88 with my 37s and 6th gear was useless unless you were flat or down hill.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had 4.88 with my 37s and 6th gear was useless unless you were flat or down hill.
Wow, I've driven one and thought it was good in 6th gear. 5.13's are always an option. But the one I drove pulled it just fine at 75mph, even up slight grades. But I don't live in the mountains, so maybe that's it.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, I've driven one and thought it was good in 6th gear. 5.13's are always an option. But the one I drove pulled it just fine at 75mph, even up slight grades. But I don't live in the mountains, so maybe that's it.
Thanks for the input—appreciate it. I’ll probably end up going with 5.13 since at some point I do plan on towing a small camper. And frequent the mountains as much as possible. From my understanding the 4.88 will pretty much put me back at the stock feel…which wasn’t bad.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Thanks for the input—appreciate it. I’ll probably end up going with 5.13 since at some point I do plan on towing a small camper. And frequent the mountains as much as possible. From my understanding the 4.88 will pretty much put me back at the stock feel…which wasn’t bad.
I have 5.13’s/ 37’s and still need to use 4th gear on certain hills. Not every time though, even on the same hill. The wind absolutely has an effect lol. 6th gets me up small inclines but nothing more. Sometimes I even cruise in 5th because I tend to stay around 70.

I consider my Jeep “light”. No rear bumper, stubby front, synthetic winch line, soft top, no power windows. Stock skids and an oil panskid only (evo) and JCR sliders. Stock plastic fenders/ liners. Half the back seat removed.

So what I’m saying is, if my Jeep had a bunch of stuff on it, huge bumpers, extra skids, roof rack, tent, fuel cans etc. I’d go 5.38’s every day of the week.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have 5.13’s/ 37’s and still need to use 4th gear on certain hills. Not every time though, even on the same hill. The wind absolutely has an effect lol. 6th gets me up small inclines but nothing more. Sometimes I even cruise in 5th because I tend to stay around 70.

I consider my Jeep “light”. No rear bumper, stubby front, synthetic winch line, soft top, no power windows. Stock skids and an oil panskid only (evo) and JCR sliders. Stock plastic fenders/ liners. Half the back seat removed.

So what I’m saying is, if my Jeep had a bunch of stuff on it, huge bumpers, extra skids, roof rack, tent, fuel cans etc. I’d go 5.38’s every day of the week.
Running heavy Nitto 40" Trail's, and the Jeep's pretty heavy, too. Gears are 5.13's. While they are indeed working great, if I were to re-gear again soon (or upgrade my axles) I would definitely go with 5.38's.

My JLUR is a manual, and I am able to use 6th gear above 70. The crazy thing is I generally get 15.6-16 MPG just about every tank, And yes, the speedo is calibrated.

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to get some Jeep warrantee done, the service advisor asked about the W12 update and I told him "not today", he annotated on computer not to do the update. No issues. The funny thing I left the JLScan cable and module plugged into the OBDII port to see what they would say. Got Jeep repaired and washed and told to have a great weekend.
Sponsored