Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Having similar issue(s). Pressure plate assembly replaced in October 2019 (pre-recall). 10,000 miles. Failed again almost immediately after repair completed. This time diagnosed as "4th gear syncho friction material burned". Vehicle in shop for nearly a month. Returned to shop 2 days after due to a burning smell. Replaced "clutch kit", "fly wheel" and performed other work that I don't comprehend. Fast forward to 2021 (now 24,000 miles). Received recall notification (Y03/NHTSA 21V-028). Had work completed on 8/9. Upon completion the clutch is "slipping" and getting progressively worse. Returned to dealer shop and told clutch is failing, needs to be replaced. "Sorry, warranty expired and estimated cost will be $2500-$3000. Parts are back ordered indefinitely with no ETA. Take the car... it should be good for around town driving..... we'll call you when the parts come in"

this is not what I signed up for when I purchased what was supposed to be our fun toy.... have owned the car for 27 months and 24,000 miles.... it has spent 45 days in a Jeep service center and it's about to return but this time at my cost and without a loaner vehicle.

I want to love the Jeep I dreamed of driving since I was a kid..... unfortunately it's probably the first and last one I'll ever own.
You need to reach out to @JeepCares and get them working with you. They will help.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Having similar issue(s). Pressure plate assembly replaced in October 2019 (pre-recall). 10,000 miles. Failed again almost immediately after repair completed. This time diagnosed as "4th gear syncho friction material burned". Vehicle in shop for nearly a month. Returned to shop 2 days after due to a burning smell. Replaced "clutch kit", "fly wheel" and performed other work that I don't comprehend. Fast forward to 2021 (now 24,000 miles). Received recall notification (Y03/NHTSA 21V-028). Had work completed on 8/9. Upon completion the clutch is "slipping" and getting progressively worse. Returned to dealer shop and told clutch is failing, needs to be replaced. "Sorry, warranty expired and estimated cost will be $2500-$3000. Parts are back ordered indefinitely with no ETA. Take the car... it should be good for around town driving..... we'll call you when the parts come in"

this is not what I signed up for when I purchased what was supposed to be our fun toy.... have owned the car for 27 months and 24,000 miles.... it has spent 45 days in a Jeep service center and it's about to return but this time at my cost and without a loaner vehicle.

I want to love the Jeep I dreamed of driving since I was a kid..... unfortunately it's probably the first and last one I'll ever own.
Hi msahler,
We’re very sorry to hear that this happened to you. Please follow up with us via PM at your earliest convenience so we can have this looked into further for you.

Rob
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I got the software flash today. Service advisor said it reduces torque. Which I find lame. If the clutch can't endure factory torque, then the clutch should be replaced.

It seems people have not noticed a drop in power. I'll let you know.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I got the software flash today. Service advisor said it reduces torque. Which I find lame. If the clutch can't endure factory torque, then the clutch should be replaced.

Nobody's noticed it because there is no drop in power. That advisor is ignorant of how it works.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
Service advisor said it reduces torque.... I'll let you know.
Please do. Bomb onto the highway and tell us how much torque you've lost.

ps The stated update, as per the recall paperwork, drops the Jeep into limp mode (10mph max) if it calculates that the clutch pressure plate exceeds a certain temperature (800 or 900F). No one here has yet reported this occurring, including the people that tow, nor the people whose wives try to smoke their neighbors by starting out in third.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What does the update do?
Adds monitoring for excessive slip (which generates heat). If too much slip is detected, limp mode is initiated to prevent catastrophic failure (fracturing pressure plate). This limp mode is the torque reduction that the ignorant advisor, above, is talking about. He should stick to commenting about Pacificas.

Yes, it’s a band aid - no pressure plate should fracture. Am I happy to have this band aid? Yes. Yes, I am. I let my teenagers drive my Jeep. I taught them well, but they’re teenagers…

40,000 miles on my clutch. It’s been perfect from day one. If it ever needs replacement I will go with South Bend.

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Adds monitoring for excessive slip (which generates heat). If too much slip is detected, limp mode is initiated to prevent catastrophic failure (fracturing pressure plate). This limp mode is the torque reduction that the ignorant advisor, above, is talking about. He should stick to commenting about Pacificas.

Yes, it’s a band aid - no pressure plate should fracture. Am I happy to have this band aid? Yes. Yes, I am. I let my teenagers drive my Jeep. I taught them well, but they’re teenagers…

40,000 miles on my clutch. It’s been perfect from day one. If it ever needs replacement I will go with South Bend.
This makes much more sense than "reducing torque".

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi Rogue321,
There is no difference in the 3.6L engine power output under "normal circumstances" with the Y07 flash. The torque reduction only happens if the engine controller calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature is above a certain temperature threshold.

Rob
Jeep Cares

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rogue321,
There is no difference in the 3.6L engine power output under "normal circumstances" with the Y07 flash. The torque reduction only happens if the engine controller calculates the clutch pressure plate temperature is above a certain temperature threshold.

Rob
Jeep Cares
What is that threshold and how is it calculating the temp since there is no temp sensor in the manual transmissions.
The reason I ask is that I am VERY hesitant to get the update to my Jeep since I regularly wheel in the desert and it's not uncommon to see the oil temp hit 233 and the coolant temp hit 225. The fan kicks on as it should and I've never had any problems with over heating.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
What is that threshold and how is it calculating the temp since there is no temp sensor in the manual transmissions.
The reason I ask is that I am VERY hesitant to get the update to my Jeep since I regularly wheel in the desert and it's not uncommon to see the oil temp hit 233 and the coolant temp hit 225. The fan kicks on as it should and I've never had any problems with over heating.
We can only speculate the “how,” but can do so with pretty good accuracy. There are already so many posts that discuss this, but I admit they’re buried in all the noise - two separate threads on “clutch recall,” each with hundreds of replies.

Gear is known (after recall you’ll see it on the EVIC). RPM is known. Speed is known. Tire size is known. Gear ratio is known. It’s not difficult to calculate slip with all that… from slip they can guesstimate temp with decent accuracy.

It’s certainly not going to go into limp mode at 230 degrees. They are not going to answer your question, but assume it’s way north of the temps you’re worried about…

Y01/Y07 have not been reported to affect wheeling anywhere that I’ve seen, and I spend way too much time on this forum.

The ‘21s ship with this recall already performed.

Just go get it done.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They aren't going to tell you the threshold, but from what I've gathered it requires quite alot of slipping. As for off-roading like that, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are for some reason slipping the hell out of it. I believe that threshold is very high. I've run my Jeep hard and used an infrared thermometer on the bell housing and the highest temp was just over 200. That was on a 95 degree day.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They are using sensors such engine rpm, wheel speed, and possibly transfer case output shaft. When it doesn't match up, you have slip. It can determine how much slip by the amount of difference. The temperature increase is very linear and is directly proportional to the amount of slip. This is really a simple formula and should be very accurate in determining the temperature. No need for a temp sensor in the clutch or bell housing.
Sponsored