Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
You mean the one that was unavailable for months because of issues? :giggle:

(I think the 2020 centerforce didn't fit the 21 so they had a stop order until March. Don't know if they restarted or if there were chattering problems, etc. Something I read in one if these threads so the search button might help.)
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So Rob, as I read this all dealers should have this flash by now?

Do you know of one in the Dallas Fort Worth area that does? Ive called the service departments (and emailed) at both dealers I have purchased jeeps from and they have zero clue. Maybe you can drop me the name of a service dept?

Neil
Hi Neil,
Yes, all of our certified Jeep dealer should have the flash available. Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your recall.

Rob
Jeep Cares

PA JLUR

First Name
Cos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Has anyone had the flash done yet? Looking for impact to drivability, acceleration, and torque.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Has anyone had the flash done yet? Looking for impact to drivability, acceleration, and torque.
Lots of us. Itā€™s exactly the same as before. Read the last several pages of this thread.

Sponsored

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Had it done last week. This is the only PCM flash this 2018 has had since it was born. Aside from the gear indicator, can't tell any difference in anything. All good!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Had it done last week. This is the only PCM flash this 2018 has had since it was born. Aside from the gear indicator, can't tell any difference in anything. All good!
What do you mean gear indicator? Does it actually show you what gear you are in now?

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
My JL has almost 40k miles and Iā€™ve put 11000 of those on it.

Had the first recall on my clutch done 6000 miles ago in April. While on a 3700 mile road trip, my clutch started making a lot of noise anytime it was under stress when releasing from neutral to first. It will vibrate too. Just on hills at first and now almost all the time unless itā€™s rolling already. It seems ok from 2-6th but the struggle to get it into 1st smoothly is taking all the joy out of driving a stick. Iā€™ve also smelled the burnt clutch smell 4 times since the 1st recall was done. It had the 2nd recall done at the end of July. The Jeep dealership wants to look at it for a $110 diagnostic fee before discussing what clutch replacement costs. Can I keep driving or is this a replace immediately situation? i can only find one other thread where someone quoted $2300 for clutch replacement at a dealership. Can anyone else who has had it done post what it cost? Is any of this related to the recalls?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Had the first recall on my clutch done 6000 miles ago in April. While on a 3700 mile road trip, my clutch started making a lot of noise anytime it was under stress when releasing from neutral to first. It will vibrate too. Just on hills at first and now almost all the time unless itā€™s rolling already. It seems ok from 2-6th but the struggle to get it into 1st smoothly is taking all the joy out of driving a stick. Iā€™ve also smelled the burnt clutch smell 4 times since the 1st recall was done. It had the 2nd recall done at the end of July. The Jeep dealership wants to look at it for a $110 diagnostic fee before discussing what clutch replacement costs. Can I keep driving or is this a replace immediately situation? i can only find one other thread where someone quoted $2300 for clutch replacement at a dealership. Can anyone else who has had it done post what it cost? Is any of this related to the recalls?
If you are going to replace it I would go with a Center Force clutch and stay away from the Mopar one.

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link

I would be surprised if this was covered under warrantee even though there is an excellent chance it is due to the defective clutch design and/or the testing procedure when you took it in for the recall. My understanding is they rev the engine up and dump the clutch while holding the brakes on to see if they can stall the engine (this is a standard test procedure for any clutch, not just FCA).

Clutch replacement at 40k miles is a bitter pill to swallow, but it sounds like you need one. I would not even bother taking it to the dealer. Just go to a trusted mechanic. Is the Southbend clutch available? I'd check...

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek

Your clutch was probably baked by the first owner well before you had the first recall performed (which, if I remember correctly was to bleed the system). Given the sad history of this issue (two recalls), I'd have your dealership service manager request a good faith out of warranty replacement of the clutch.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi bonniejf,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Jeep Cares

msahler

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited - Manual Trans
Having similar issue(s). Pressure plate assembly replaced in October 2019 (pre-recall). 10,000 miles. Failed again almost immediately after repair completed. This time diagnosed as "4th gear syncho friction material burned". Vehicle in shop for nearly a month. Returned to shop 2 days after due to a burning smell. Replaced "clutch kit", "fly wheel" and performed other work that I don't comprehend. Fast forward to 2021 (now 24,000 miles). Received recall notification (Y03/NHTSA 21V-028). Had work completed on 8/9. Upon completion the clutch is "slipping" and getting progressively worse. Returned to dealer shop and told clutch is failing, needs to be replaced. "Sorry, warranty expired and estimated cost will be $2500-$3000. Parts are back ordered indefinitely with no ETA. Take the car... it should be good for around town driving..... we'll call you when the parts come in"

this is not what I signed up for when I purchased what was supposed to be our fun toy.... have owned the car for 27 months and 24,000 miles.... it has spent 45 days in a Jeep service center and it's about to return but this time at my cost and without a loaner vehicle.

I want to love the Jeep I dreamed of driving since I was a kid..... unfortunately it's probably the first and last one I'll ever own.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Having similar issue(s). Pressure plate assembly replaced in October 2019 (pre-recall). 10,000 miles. Failed again almost immediately after repair completed. This time diagnosed as "4th gear syncho friction material burned". Vehicle in shop for nearly a month. Returned to shop 2 days after due to a burning smell. Replaced "clutch kit", "fly wheel" and performed other work that I don't comprehend. Fast forward to 2021 (now 24,000 miles). Received recall notification (Y03/NHTSA 21V-028). Had work completed on 8/9. Upon completion the clutch is "slipping" and getting progressively worse. Returned to dealer shop and told clutch is failing, needs to be replaced. "Sorry, warranty expired and estimated cost will be $2500-$3000. Parts are back ordered indefinitely with no ETA. Take the car... it should be good for around town driving..... we'll call you when the parts come in"

this is not what I signed up for when I purchased what was supposed to be our fun toy.... have owned the car for 27 months and 24,000 miles.... it has spent 45 days in a Jeep service center and it's about to return but this time at my cost and without a loaner vehicle.

I want to love the Jeep I dreamed of driving since I was a kid..... unfortunately it's probably the first and last one I'll ever own.
I think there are a lot of service departments out there with techs who don't know how to work with manual transmissions. Sadly, that may become more common as time passes.

Stellantis needs to put those folks through some schooling. First test: If a tech can't drive one properly, they can't work on them.
Sponsored