Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Shout out to Fitzpatrick’s in Ansonia, CT. Great people and wonderful service.
I bought my Rubicon there during the group buy in 2019. They were great to deal with. Wish I lived close enough to have it serviced there.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I brought my JL in for recall work today expecting the Y07 to be done but when I got it back only the V41 was done. I called back and the tech said the Y07 doesn't show as available in their system. On my app on my phone it says that parts are available. The guy at the dealer told me to call back in a few weeks to see if they are ready to do it. Don't know what's going on with it. I guess I am maybe just going to let it go for now.
Hi rfm8os,
Can you send us a message with your VIN and dealer information? We would like to look into this for you.

Rob
Jeep Cares

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
well, I decided not to debilitate the engine performance by so called "software upgrade" , to me that's an unacceptable defeat
As in the report for the 2018 on the previous page, there is no expected performance change from the firmware flash. It drops the vehicle into limp mode if the failure scenario is detected. Of course there hasn't been enough time for stories of invalid calculations leading to unnecessary limping, but no one has reported any drop in performance.

My 2021 is darn fast off the line. If the computer is adjusting the curve it's not been by a noticeable amount. Sorry I have no dynomomometerer data to prove it.

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
As in the report for the 2018 on the previous page, there is no expected performance change from the firmware flash. It drops the vehicle into limp mode if the failure scenario is detected. Of course there hasn't been enough time for stories of invalid calculations leading to unnecessary limping, but no one has reported any drop in performance.

My 2021 is darn fast off the line. If the computer is adjusting the curve it's not been by a noticeable amount. Sorry I have no dynomomometerer data to prove it.
thanks but something tells me not to jump

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
thanks but something tells me not to jump
Thre would be no point to reducing the power only slightly. The only thing that would stop the clutch from overheating if slipping would be a dramatic drop in power. Thus the limp home mode. It makes no sense that it would do anything in between. It is either full power, or limp home. Nothing in between or partial about it.

But if your clutch works fine and you are willing to chance it, more power to you. My guess is that most of us would have never experienced the high temp scenario, anyway.

Sponsored

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
Thre would be no point to reducing the power only slightly. The only thing that would stop the clutch from overheating if slipping would be a dramatic drop in power. Thus the limp home mode. It makes no sense that it would do anything in between. It is either full power, or limp home. Nothing in between or partial about it.

But if your clutch works fine and you are willing to chance it, more power to you. My guess is that most of us would have never experienced the high temp scenario, anyway.
[/QUOTEI yes indeed , I just hope Exedy will come up with affordable clutch kit

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
I agree Dan , I just hope aftermarket will offer affordable clutch kit for the JLs

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Hi rfm8os,
Can you send us a message with your VIN and dealer information? We would like to look into this for you.

Rob
Jeep Cares
I spoke to the dealer again today as I received a second recall notice from Jeep this weekend. The dealer is still not seeing it for me on his system for the y07 recall. He said he was going to do some checking on his side and get back to me. However, I will send you a PM with the details.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’m scheduled for Friday now. Also picking up some crossmember bolts to finish bolting down my correction brackets. Manual transmission doesn’t have a crossmember like the auto, so I had to order them through parts rather than play guess and check.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I spoke to the dealer again today as I received a second recall notice from Jeep this weekend. The dealer is still not seeing it for me on his system for the y07 recall. He said he was going to do some checking on his side and get back to me. However, I will send you a PM with the details.
Hi rfm8os,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
This is correct, Dan. I just had Y07 installed a few hours ago. I can confirm that:
  1. 2018’s do, indeed, get gear shown in EVIC above the odometer
  2. Absolutely NO difference in performance
I think a person would be foolish to avoid this recall in the name of F.U.D. (I am not excusing Jeep for very poor handling of this problem. I would much prefer a hardware fix, as I’m sure we all would).

Shout out to Fitzpatrick’s in Ansonia, CT. Great people and wonderful service.
thanks that's a great news but I'll wait and see what the other post operative brothers will say

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
Bummer as they already had it apart to take picture of the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. It takes less than an hour (with a few smoke breaks) to put a new flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc on before you put it back together. I guess we are all on notice..... If your clutch fails out of warranty, DON'T GO TO THE DEALER!!!!
yes indeed , dealers wheelers are getting even more predatory sadistic hyenas

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
So those with a tazer are just unplugging it and unmarrying it from the Jeep for update?

What about the security bypass module? I really don't want to dig around under there and unplug that too.

Any suggestions? Should I just unmarry and unplug everything?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So those with a tazer are just unplugging it and unmarrying it from the Jeep for update?

What about the security bypass module? I really don't want to dig around under there and unplug that too.

Any suggestions? Should I just unmarry and unplug everything?
Yes. I always unmarry and disconnect the SGW bypass before any service. For Y07 it’s very necessary because they are flashing the PCM.

Suggestion: but the extension cables from ZAuto. It makes disconnecting/reconnecting a breeze.
Sponsored