Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
they told me they couldn’t do the recall because the part wasn’t available. I asked them how that could be possible, because surely software is not a “part” per se.
That's been listed since January, parts not available. Of course this assumes that you already had the other parts installed, the sleeve and clutch tests, if that applies to your model year.

There are always physical parts. Maybe they ran out of obd cables, or haven't received the USB stick containing the ECM firmware update. :lipssealed: Or the piece of paper from corporate containing the printed instructions that say "okay you can do it".
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You don't know the laws. We don't know the laws. You don't know who's liable. We don't know who's liable. You don't know your rights. We don't know your rights.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=find+lawyer
Exactly. Thanks for posting that link. Good place to start unless you know a good lawyer who can refer you to one familiar and skilled in that kind of law.

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Exactly. That's why I advised him to get an attorney who does know the laws. Thanks for posting that link. But I'd talk to someone who has a good lawyer and get a reference that way. But that's just what has worked for me.
Yeapz, and I told them the same Broncing thing two weeks ago.

In addition to working here with JeepCares to find a dealer who will be responsive to the realities of the situation, it sounds like you might want to get a lawyer to help with lemon laws.

JeepCares seems to routinely do a good job helping people here, but there's only so much they can do as well.
I sympathize but we've done what we can do for them in this thread. The user might want to create a separate Dealer Complaints thread.

ps: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/forums/vendor-dealer-reviews-and-feedback.95/

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 1625105161322

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Just talked to my dealer and got my appointment for July 19 for Y07. They confirmed availability!
Curious to hear first outcomes here, particularly if you'll get the current-gear indicator on the display or not. I'm still not used to it being there so I tend to do a physical check instead of noticing it on the display when I'm checking other things. (And then we're all waiting to hear the first case of the gear position sensor getting stuck in 6th and calculating that it's 2rpm versus 2000rpm all the time :giggle:)

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious to hear first outcomes here, particularly if you'll get the current-gear indicator on the display or not. I'm still not used to it being there so I tend to do a physical check instead of noticing it on the display when I'm checking other things. (And then we're all waiting to hear the first case of the gear position sensor getting stuck in 6th and calculating that it's 2rpm versus 2000rpm all the time :giggle:)
Lol, I'll let you know. It'll never be something I'll pay attention to, but for anyone who hasn't driven it before, I'll be pointing it out to them, for sure.

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Got y07 done today. Took them 4 hours. The gear you are in showing in the ip as part of that ip update is nice
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 1625262372907710761221409331262
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] PXL_20210702_213951141

Last edited:

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Got y07 done today. Took them 4 hours. The gear you are in showing in the ip as part of that ip update is nice
1625262372907710761221409331262.jpg
11:43 to 17:04?! :lipssealed:

ps 12mph in 4th gear? :clap: And no fuel.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my situation. Jeep has been fixed by the dealership. Took a little over 3 weeks but it shifts better than it did brand new. Feels like an actual clutch in there now. No soft or spongy feeling. So far so good.
Glad you get to enjoy it now as it was meant to be!

Sponsored

BIGBOYFOY

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Absolutely no more words for you Jeep.
47,000 mi Jeep JLU 2018
Bought it brand new, one of the first batches when they came out.

I driving get to away for the weekend and I was about 2 hours from my home on my trip when I went to pull over to the side of the highway to put my windows on.
Clutch completely falls to the floor after I engaged it and stop. I turn off the car.
I see if I can pull the clutch up and it comes back up. Clutch is slightly harder to compress and the brake is hard.
Car will not start.
I can shift through all the gears without engaging the clutch.

After waiting 4 hours in the heat with no AC, I pay the $150 for a tow out of pocket and drop the car off at the nearest dealership in Burlington WA.
They need approval for 4 hours at $150 to look into the transmission and state that they will not provide rental/loaner, only if it is under warranty.
Clutch is a wear item and not covered.

I tell them about the recall and they say that its a computer item and not related to the actual clutch... If only they could read these forums.
Chrysler refuses to help me with any form of loaner as well.

It will now be 8 days before they say they can even look at the clutch. Devastating. They think it may be the pressure plate. Funny, the recall for the clutch is about the pressure plate overheating.
Rental cars are about $190 for the cheapest option in Seattle right now and can not afford that, even for a few days.
I am about to lose my job, I need to drive 20 plus miles to look at sites and the office is not on a bus line. Not to even consider the lack of sales I have produced.

This clutch is absolutely a faulty, ineffective item. I called my local dealer when I heard about the recall and he said there was no resolution so I put my name down to be called when there was resolution.
I had to replace the clutch for about $1400 back when it was at 15,000-20,000 miles after many DREADED BURNING SMELLS. Was told that some people "drive harder than others" and it was a wear item. LOL ok.
Tell that to my previous 3 cars with manuals (2009 toyota tacoma, bmw e30, 2003 dodge ram) that I never had to touch the clutch in... :(
I had to take the clutch in for another recall about 10,000 miles after that, putting me out further, clutch surprisingly felt better than when I bought it brand new.

This is unrelated to other issues, such as being stranded on a service road when my jeep wouldn't start, towing my jeep into the dealership two separate times only to be told it was a "computer update".

This was my first brand new car that I saved for a while to purchase, and to be continually told I am a "hard driver", get no support or resolution, is beyond me. No words.
If they make me pay thousands for a new OEM clutch with reimbursement or help on my rental car while I lose my job... I do not know what I will do.
Any advice helps.

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
11:43 to 17:04?! :lipssealed:

ps 12mph in 4th gear? :clap: And no fuel.
Didn't include the time they waited for me to pick up.

Do you shift to 1st when you decelerate to a stop?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely no more words for you Jeep.
47,000 mi Jeep JLU 2018
Bought it brand new, one of the first batches when they came out.

I driving get to away for the weekend and I was about 2 hours from my home on my trip when I went to pull over to the side of the highway to put my windows on.
Clutch completely falls to the floor after I engaged it and stop. I turn off the car.
I see if I can pull the clutch up and it comes back up. Clutch is slightly harder to compress and the brake is hard.
Car will not start.
I can shift through all the gears without engaging the clutch.

After waiting 4 hours in the heat with no AC, I pay the $150 for a tow out of pocket and drop the car off at the nearest dealership in Burlington WA.
They need approval for 4 hours at $150 to look into the transmission and state that they will not provide rental/loaner, only if it is under warranty.
Clutch is a wear item and not covered.

I tell them about the recall and they say that its a computer item and not related to the actual clutch... If only they could read these forums.
Chrysler refuses to help me with any form of loaner as well.

It will now be 8 days before they say they can even look at the clutch. Devastating. They think it may be the pressure plate. Funny, the recall for the clutch is about the pressure plate overheating.
Rental cars are about $190 for the cheapest option in Seattle right now and can not afford that, even for a few days.
I am about to lose my job, I need to drive 20 plus miles to look at sites and the office is not on a bus line. Not to even consider the lack of sales I have produced.

This clutch is absolutely a faulty, ineffective item. I called my local dealer when I heard about the recall and he said there was no resolution so I put my name down to be called when there was resolution.
I had to replace the clutch for about $1400 back when it was at 15,000-20,000 miles after many DREADED BURNING SMELLS. Was told that some people "drive harder than others" and it was a wear item. LOL ok.
Tell that to my previous 3 cars with manuals (2009 toyota tacoma, bmw e30, 2003 dodge ram) that I never had to touch the clutch in... :(
I had to take the clutch in for another recall about 10,000 miles after that, putting me out further, clutch surprisingly felt better than when I bought it brand new.

This is unrelated to other issues, such as being stranded on a service road when my jeep wouldn't start, towing my jeep into the dealership two separate times only to be told it was a "computer update".

This was my first brand new car that I saved for a while to purchase, and to be continually told I am a "hard driver", get no support or resolution, is beyond me. No words.
If they make me pay thousands for a new OEM clutch with reimbursement or help on my rental car while I lose my job... I do not know what I will do.
Any advice helps.
Sounds like it may have never right to begin with, and the burn smells are the major symptom of the original problem that led to the recalls int he first place. I'm rough as hell on mine and it has held up to it with no issues, so I can't imagine wearing a clutch out at 20k mils. . I'd try everything possible to get this above the dealership level. I'd start with @JeepCares and would also file an NHTSA complaint. I sure hope you can break through the bureaucracy and get someone at the regional level or even corporate to look at it and investigate this further.
Sponsored