Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I took mine in for the recall and they decided I needed a whole new clutch, flywheel, and an assortment of other things..
I always told people I didn’t care for the clutch in the JL because I couldn’t feel it at all. Well that’s apparently because it was messed up from the factory! Against my better judgement I had them perform the recall and they botched it. I lifted my foot a quarter inch off the floor and the thing violently died. I could barely control it enough to get the thing moving. Very stiff at the floor and After an inch or so there was 0 pressure in clutch for the rest of the travel. Told them to keep it and fix it.
I’ll update you all when I hopefully get it fixed. From what I could feel, the new clutch was more responsive and grabbier which is a good sign. Hope it’s simply an adjustment they can make to “loosen” the clutch and make it actually driveable.
This was after the new clutch and flash? or just flash exposed the clutch issue?
Sponsored

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
That is my present concern, going in for a simple software flash and getting stuck without a vehicle right up to the point of my week-long trip, only to find it dying in the middle of nowhere because my 1000mi of break-in were defeated by some other adjustment. It will pressure their schedule a bit later but I'm going to have to wait until the end of April.

Rock Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
This is what happens when you have a 280 horsepower engine and you use a 200 horsepower clutch. The clutch has either a too low clamping force and/or a clutch disc with a too low coefficient of friction. It needs a clutch capable of handling 280 horsepower. The computer flash is just a bandaid solution and doesn't address the root cause. Shame on Chrysler if they do not do the right thing and replace the clutch assemblies.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
This is what happens when you have a 280 horsepower engine and you use a 200 horsepower clutch. The clutch has either a too low clamping force and/or a clutch disc with a too low coefficient of friction. It needs a clutch capable of handling 280 horsepower. The computer flash is just a bandaid solution and doesn't address the root cause. Shame on Chrysler if they do not do the right thing and replace the clutch assemblies.
I change my oil every 5K. My policy is I do it myself at 5k, 15k, 25k....at 10k, 20k, 30k... I let the dealer do it so it's on record that I service my Jeep. Why am I writing this? because I"m avoiding my dealership like the plague. I don't want that f**king flash. As I write this Iv'e got 19k miles on the Jeep. Guess who's doing the 20k oil change now? good ole me. I'm actually hoping to avoid the dealership until this clutch naturally wears out. Then I'm going to put in a good aftermarket clutch and demand that they don't flash my Jeep. I don't care that I will probably never need it. I DONT WANT IT !

Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
I change my oil every 5K. My policy is I do it myself at 5k, 15k, 25k....at 10k, 20k, 30k... I let the dealer do it so it's on record that I service my Jeep. Why am I writing this? because I"m avoiding my dealership like the plague. I don't want that f**king flash. As I write this Iv'e got 19k miles on the Jeep. Guess who's doing the 20k oil change now? good ole me. I'm actually hoping to avoid the dealership until this clutch naturally wears out. Then I'm going to put in a good aftermarket clutch and demand that they don't flash my Jeep. I don't care that I will probably never need it. I DONT WANT IT !
Get your oil change now. The fix is not ready yet. If I remember correctly it’s around June.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nobody is wearing out clutches early unless they had the improper slave cylinder bleed or don't know how to properly drive a manual transmission.

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Nobody is wearing out clutches early unless they had the improper slave cylinder bleed or don't know how to properly drive a manual transmission.
Those folks who continue to believe that the slave cylinder has anything to do with these grenades shaped like OEM clutches really need to start cutting their Prozacs in half.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You can't shift if your not bled properly. That's not something you don't notice. And wear only occurs while holding in the clutch. I don't think it's possible to overheat a clutch unless you were at a light for six hours maybe

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those folks who continue to believe that the slave cylinder has anything to do with these grenades shaped like OEM clutches really need to start cutting their Prozacs in half.
Lol!! Who needs the help here? The ones who think the sky is falling, even though we see little to no evidence of the clutches wearing out or the one who says to quit worrying and enjoy the Jeep?

Silly. Trade it in for an auto if you are worrying constantly about your clutch. You'll be happier.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can't shift if your not bled properly. That's not something you don't notice. And wear only occurs while holding in the clutch. I don't think it's possible to overheat a clutch unless you were at a light for six hours maybe
Yes, you can. It has happened. Bad driving habits could be a contributing factor, too. We won't know if that played into it because nobody ever admits to it.

My JK slave cylinder had a big problem. I was able to shift for a good while until all the fluid finally reached the bottom limit in the reservior, leaving ony enough for braking. Then I had to speed shift to nurse it to a dealership.

The slave cylinder was replaced and properly bled and its lived happily ever after. But the clutch was able to disengage when the pedal was depressed, but it took it all the way to the floor and it did not totally disengage, so shifts were pretty rough affairs until it ultimately would not shift anymore. But while it had fluid, I could most definitely shift.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, 117 pages in this thread and I don't remember a single post showing a worn out clutch. I'm ready for correction if I'm wrong. Lay the post # on us if that's the case. But I've seen many with people speculating about a defective clutch design with no clear evidence of that, either.

Again, if too worried, trade in. Used Jeep values are higher than ever right now. You should make out pretty well. I hear the autos are very nice.

In the meantime, I drove mine to church today in the beautiful spring sunshine. Clutch feels great. Nice and tight, as when brand new. No difference other than the Redline C+ fluid in it that makes a buttery smooth transmission even slightly smoother. I'll be towing my boat once again starting probably next weekend. I hear the fish are biting!

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 1619372753736

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Lol!! Who needs the help here? The ones who think the sky is falling, even though we see little to no evidence of the clutches wearing out or the one who says to quit worrying and enjoy the Jeep?

Silly. Trade it in for an auto if you are worrying constantly about your clutch. You'll be happier.
Nah... I stand by my statement, backed up BTW by the folks at CF who confirmed to me that the slave cylinder plays no role in these failures, however rare they are. Common sense tells you that if the original recall solved the issue there would be no need for the nannycam firmware of the current recall.

I like my MT jeep, that is why I ponied up the extra $ for the CF clutch: It's well-engineered and never a worry about my jeep becoming an IED.
Sponsored