Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Been Jeepin' again for the last 48 hours... Like a faithful piece of... Picked up like we never broke up šŸ˜Ž
not a photo or build thread? The only pre-req for a build thread is like putting air in your tires.
Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
not a photo or build thread? The only pre-req for a build thread is like putting air in your tires.
I've been swamped with the kiddo on spring break... I posted a few pics in one of the threads šŸ˜Ž but tomorrow I'll get a build threat and pics for sure!!!

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
That's what they said when I picked up the Jeep. I feel like a yo-yo!
This why why people have little to no faith in the dealerships - they don't have their own facts straight when they should have all the resources they need available to them!

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
No shock here. I called the dealer asked if they knew about the recall and had the software update. They said yes should take about 30min to update. So I scheduled an appointment to go in and wait on the update.

One and a half hours later they come out and tell me thereā€˜s an update but FCA (formerly) released an update to the update and they donā€™t have that update. So I asked if they updated to the first update. They said no. Pretty sure they are lying about the update to an update, which makes their incompetence even worse.

Also this isnā€™t the first time this dealership has been incompetent about a recall. The first clutch recall they said they had the protective sleeve and come on in, they didnā€™t have the sleeve so all they did was test the clutch. So, I had to deal with 2 visits instead of 1.

This is my first FCA (formerly) vehicle. I have never had so many recalls on a vehicle than this one. Itā€™s pretty insane. Iā€™m glad I got in on the FCA (formerly) lifetime warranty.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
This why why people have little to no faith in the dealerships - they don't have their own facts straight when they should have all the resources they need available to them!
I think it's actually worse than that. They'll put any recall they can on the work order to get paid, whether they can complete it or not.

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's actually worse than that. They'll put any recall they can on the work order to get paid, whether they can complete it or not.
Possibly, it's not a good way to run business - you'd make more $ long term by having happy customer's who tell others about their good experiences other than bad ones:) Sadly business dont know how to do business these days. The company I work for for example is more concerned about on time delivery rather than if the product is correct or not before shipping it which causes my department nothing but grief as were the ones who get the returns and have to process them (repair or replacement).

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I definitely wouldnā€™t trade in Lisa. I traded a 17 JK for a 19 JL and all I can tell you is that whole ā€œJeepā€™s donā€™t lose their valueā€ thing.
As Dr. Evil says......rrrrrrriiiigggghhhht!
I really donā€™t want to because I love my Mojito. I suppose I could do a center force clutch if the installation doesnā€™t cost too much.​
although my hubby did tell me I could trade it and get a new one and then weā€™d add all the things To match what I currently have which is about 6K worth of goodies. But-I guess the plus side of a trade is that the auto wouldnā€™t need a regear. I took the 35s off because I couldnā€™t take the sluggishness. so that would be a benefit.​

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Any one else refusing the newest clutch recall? the software that just detunes the engine output for torque depending on the trans temp? unless They have a way to monitor the Friction plate i dont see how this software does anything to fix a possibly of having a fractured friction plate self destruct. I also do not feel like this helps with anything. My local dealer has called twice to come have it done but i keep rejecting it. Like i said Detuning my engine because you put a faulty friction plate into a couple thousand transmissions is not the right fix. You think they would have just bit the bullet and installed new plates from a different manufacture or an upgraded friction plate at that. I Paid for X amount of HP and torque I sure in hell should be able to use all of it just like my other vehicles do for the price We pay for a jeep. Kinda sad this is there "fix" after the W12 recall... lets snip a plastic clip and put a heat sleeve on at the master cylinder and pump the clutch 50X in a row and make sure it doesn't leak. neither of the these are the correct way to solve the problem safely

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Any one else refusing the newest clutch recall? the software that just detunes the engine output for torque depending on the trans temp? unless They have a way to monitor the Friction plate i dont see how this software does anything to fix a possibly of having a fractured friction plate self destruct. I also do not feel like this helps with anything. My local dealer has called twice to come have it done but i keep rejecting it. Like i said Detuning my engine because you put a faulty friction plate into a couple thousand transmissions is not the right fix. You think they would have just bit the bullet and installed new plates from a different manufacture or an upgraded friction plate at that. I Paid for X amount of HP and torque I sure in hell should be able to use all of it just like my other vehicles do for the price We pay for a jeep. Kinda sad this is there "fix" after the W12 recall... lets snip a plastic clip and put a heat sleeve on at the master cylinder and pump the clutch 50X in a row and make sure it doesn't leak. neither of the these are the correct way to solve the problem safely
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 1616418839626

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...roduced-by-january-22-2021.65706/post-1441871

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I havent done any of my recalls as all is good at 40K miles (the other is the steering damper but it steer good & I'll put an aftermarket one in soon anyway). I dont need some goof ho cant even put the correct amount of oil in the engine working on things:)

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I've been swamped with the kiddo on spring break... I posted a few pics in one of the threads šŸ˜Ž but tomorrow I'll get a build threat and pics for sure!!!
Havenā€™t seen the Snazzberry in person but looks nice on the website.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The website does it ZERO justice
Here it comes... mark my words... this is the beginning of the derailment of this thread ;)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
According to the vehicles in your signature, you would be included under Y07 which doesn't have a repair yet. Also, there is no difference in the 3.6L engine's power output under normal circumstances with the flash.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Jcoke90

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I took mine in for the recall and they decided I needed a whole new clutch, flywheel, and an assortment of other things..
I always told people I didnā€™t care for the clutch in the JL because I couldnā€™t feel it at all. Well thatā€™s apparently because it was messed up from the factory! Against my better judgement I had them perform the recall and they botched it. I lifted my foot a quarter inch off the floor and the thing violently died. I could barely control it enough to get the thing moving. Very stiff at the floor and After an inch or so there was 0 pressure in clutch for the rest of the travel. Told them to keep it and fix it.
Iā€™ll update you all when I hopefully get it fixed. From what I could feel, the new clutch was more responsive and grabbier which is a good sign. Hope itā€™s simply an adjustment they can make to ā€œloosenā€ the clutch and make it actually driveable.

EDIT: 3/30 Service department called me and told me the issue is the slave cylinder, which makes sense given the issue it had. I guess I donā€™t mind them throwing a bunch of new parts on it so long as itā€™s covered by the recall. They overnighted the slave cylinder and should be finishing it up tomorrow morning. Hopefully will have good news for you all sometime tomorrowšŸ¤ž
Sponsored

Last edited: