Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I'm clutching like it's 1992!!!

Nah I'm gonna ride out this warranty before I consider getting crazy with any mods
92, was that a good year for clutches....

did you receive your jeep? Like you have the turd key and sat at dealer today?
Sponsored

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
92, was that a good year for clutches....

did you receive your jeep? Like you have the turd key and sat at dealer today?
Been Jeepin' again for the last 48 hours... Like a faithful piece of... Picked up like we never broke up 😎

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Well i guess i am being paranoid. I keep reading that if the plate does blow, it'll shoot up through the cab and kill me. I saw something on another website that equated the pressure plate blow to a grenade.

I do worry about how i use the clutch. I don't wheel or anything, just normal driving, but i do pay attention to when I shift, whether too early or too late. I'm just fearful of overheating the clutch.
Lisa, you’re letting this ruin your driving experience. The key thing you said is “I pay attention to when to shift”. With that being said trust me, your Jeep is gonna be fine.
As someone mentioned, you’ve got a WAY higher chance of getting hurt in an accident.
Just buckle up and enjoy that beautiful Jeep you bought.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of mine and getting an auto. I'm literally scared to death to drive this thing.
It really sucks because I have it set up just the way i want it. Not worth it.
I keep reading articles about exploding pressure plates being like a grenade and it's very scary.
The first recall that dealt with the hose and air in the system (and replaced compromised clutches as needed) fixed the defect in the system according to FCA. However, the failures due to that defect made FCA aware of another problem, that heat build up due to excessive slippage could cause the clutch to fail. This second recall fixes that problem.

My problem with the whole thing is I can't figure out how air in the system causes clutch slippage. If anything, I think it would prevent full disengagement of the clutch resulting in difficult shifting.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Lisa, you’re letting this ruin your driving experience. The key thing you said is “I pay attention to when to shift”. With that being said trust me, your Jeep is gonna be fine.
As someone mentioned, you’ve got a WAY higher chance of getting hurt in an accident.
Just buckle up and enjoy that beautiful Jeep you bought.
What I don’t understand is if it’s a manufacturing defect why they don’t just switch parts?
I tend to worry a lot maybe needlessly but that’s just me. My husband said just trade it for an automatic and be done with it. Not worth the stress. But I’m not making hasty decisions. I would consider the centerforce first I think.

Sponsored

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What I don’t understand is if it’s a manufacturing defect why they don’t just switch parts?
I tend to worry a lot maybe needlessly but that’s just me. My husband said just trade it for an automatic and be done with it. Not worth the stress. But I’m not making hasty decisions. I would consider the centerforce first I think.
They will never recall the whole clutch in the jeep. The cost to do so outweighs the benifet of satisfying people complaining (and more importantly lawsuits from injury). They are doing the cheap minimum to make people go away.

The fact is that catastrophic failure is rare and unlikely. If the clutch gives you problems it will probably because its burning up prematurely. If this happens I would look for an aftermarket solution.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The first recall that dealt with the hose and air in the system (and replaced compromised clutches as needed) fixed the defect in the system according to FCA. However, the failures due to that defect made FCA aware of another problem, that heat build up due to excessive slippage could cause the clutch to fail. This second recall fixes that problem.

My problem with the whole thing is I can't figure out how air in the system causes clutch slippage. If anything, I think it would prevent full disengagement of the clutch resulting in difficult shifting.
You are correct. Air in the lines cannot cause slippage. It does prevent full disengagement of the clutch which makes it difficult to shift.

However, if you have the bad habit of keeping your foot on the clutch at a light, due to the twin disc design, you may not realize it's rubbing and that will generate heat. Can it generate enough heat to fracture the pressure plate? No way no how.

My personal opinion, the two clutches are not sliding freely on the shaft and a situation can arise where they do not fully engage. At highway speed, it may not be immediately apparent that your rpms are higher than they should be. In my personal case, if I've got the radio cranked or the top and doors off, I can't hear the motor and I've at times not realized I'm in 3rd instead of 4th at highway speed, bottom line, it can happen.

If the twin discs don't engage, your only partially hooked up. You could be 500 or 2000 rpm higher than normal, not realize it, and cook the clutch to the point of failure. Again, NOTHING to do with air in the lines. The power-pulling software mod is a cheap bandaid.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well i guess i am being paranoid. I keep reading that if the plate does blow, it'll shoot up through the cab and kill me. I saw something on another website that equated the pressure plate blow to a grenade.

I do worry about how i use the clutch. I don't wheel or anything, just normal driving, but i do pay attention to when I shift, whether too early or too late. I'm just fearful of overheating the clutch.
OK, whoever told you that the clutch plate is going to fragment, break through the aluminum transmission housing, then break through the steel floor, then cut through the carpet and/or plastic trim and still have enough force to kill you... well they should be smacked. I mean I guess ANYTHING is possible but I don't see that happening.
I think you are over thinking it, you are not going to over heat the clutch that easily. Just bang that puppy through the gears and have fun!!!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
OK, whoever told you that the clutch plate is going to fragment, break through the aluminum transmission housing, then break through the steel floor, then cut through the carpet and/or plastic trim and still have enough force to kill you... well they should be smacked. I mean I guess ANYTHING is possible but I don't see that happening.
I think you are over thinking it, you are not going to over heat the clutch that easily. Just bang that puppy through the gears and have fun!!!
SoVH0V.gif

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I assume that's the clutch doing that? The question is where does it let loose on a rear wheel drive vehicle. Since that's a front wheel drive vehicle the engine and tranny sit transverse and the tranny is completely exposed on the top allowing the debris to break through the case and go up into the hood. Def devastating but on the Jeeps it's my understanding that the destruction goes out to the sides. But your point is made in that when the clutch lets go it really does let go. I'm sure you just sent @LLRubylady into a full on panic attack with your post... lol.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I assume that's the clutch doing that? The question is where does it let loose on a rear wheel drive vehicle. Since that's a front wheel drive vehicle the engine and tranny sit transverse and the tranny is completely exposed on the top allowing the debris to break through the case and go up into the hood. Def devastating but on the Jeeps it's my understanding that the destruction goes out to the sides. But your point is made in that when the clutch lets go it really does let go. I'm sure you just sent @LLRubylady into a full on panic attack with your post... lol.
Yeah I definitely do not want to experience anything like that.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
You have a Mojito Jeep, it's blasphemy to consider trading it!

I agree though, a part that has the potential (not through abuse) of exploding into a magma shrapnel bomb should be replaced as a factory recall. That being said, it's probably just as likely to have a tire blow out and send you careening into a semi-truck hauling hydrogen. Don't fret too much about it!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely wouldn’t trade in Lisa. I traded a 17 JK for a 19 JL and all I can tell you is that whole “Jeep’s don’t lose their value” thing.
As Dr. Evil says......rrrrrrriiiigggghhhht!
Sponsored