Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

kgrencer

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys
It will be interesting to see how the new FW acts when users re-marry their Tazers. I'll never know, my JL will never darken the door of an FCA service bay again.
You mean Stellantis....
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
So I went over to a small elective training deployment overseas and my insurance was not renewed and i didn't have insurance for a short period of time. I called Jeep and they had a third party investigate the situation and they were "unable to determine the cause" so jeep refused to cover it. That said i have been paying on it since and it is literally a total loss. I have it stored in a friends garage but am now financially in a place that i might be able to pursue legal action.
Regardless if insured or not, this should fall under warranty.

I find it disturbing and f'ing unacceptable that jeep is trying to pass the buck on someone who was on deployment.

@JeepCares

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Dropped off my Jeep at the dealer this morning for the first clutch recall (W12). They said they also have the software for the second recall (Y07) so they're doing that, too. Will keep ya'll posted.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thats a really good point, can the dealer service departments adjust gear ratio and tire size inputs? If so, I imagine that the firmware update would take that into account, and hopefully the Tazer adjustment would be addressed the same way. I'm interested in real-world commentary from someone here, please chime in:)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Dropped off my Jeep at the dealer this morning for the first clutch recall (W12). They said they also have the software for the second recall (Y07) so they're doing that, too. Will keep ya'll posted.
Y07 doesn't have software available yet.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Y07 doesn't have software available yet.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
That's what they said when I picked up the Jeep. I feel like a yo-yo!

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of mine and getting an auto. I'm literally scared to death to drive this thing.
It really sucks because I have it set up just the way i want it. Not worth it.
I keep reading articles about exploding pressure plates being like a grenade and it's very scary.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I am seriously thinking of getting rid of mine and getting an auto. I'm literally scared to death to drive this thing.
I keep reading articles about exploding pressure plates being like a grenade and it's very scary.
I think were talking about lottery ticket odds here. Give it a bit and get the fix and youll be fine.

In the meantime pay attention to how your Jeep is running.

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
W
Well that’s incredibly over the top scared. Stop reading one off stories online where you don’t actually know the context or bias. They issued a fix. It’s done. Relax and enjoy your vehicle. I read so many complaints and criticisms for a vehicle we all supposedly love. Just enjoying the dang ride. Everyone.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Very sorry you feel that way. Just be mindful of how you use your clutch and you will be fine.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Dang relax :) I'm guessing you have more of a chance at getting covid than your clutch plate fragmenting.
I drive the snot out of mine and wheel the snot out of it and NEVER does it cross my mind. The chances are like a needle in a haystack. Heck, if it does happen to me I'll simply pull over to the side of the road and let it burn. While I stand there watching I'll be starting my new build in my mind... i.e. how to spend the money my lawyer will be extracting from FCA... LOL!!!

Side note: Twice I've done something stupid where I smoked the clutch to the point you could smell it. The most recent was the other day and then the day after I spent hours climbing rocks with it and then did that again two days later. Everything was fine.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Very sorry you feel that way. Just be mindful of how you use your clutch and you will be fine.
Well i guess i am being paranoid. I keep reading that if the plate does blow, it'll shoot up through the cab and kill me. I saw something on another website that equated the pressure plate blow to a grenade.

I do worry about how i use the clutch. I don't wheel or anything, just normal driving, but i do pay attention to when I shift, whether too early or too late. I'm just fearful of overheating the clutch.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well i guess i am being paranoid. I keep reading that if the plate does blow, it'll shoot up through the cab and kill me. I saw something on another website that equated the pressure plate blow to a grenade.

I do worry about how i use the clutch. I don't wheel or anything, just normal driving, but i do pay attention to when I shift, whether too early or too late. I'm just fearful of overheating the clutch.
of the grenades and clutches ive encountered, I would rather have my "type II" error moment of brainlessness with a clutch. Who told you about the grenade thing? Does it possibly seem dramatized in any manner to you?

Yes, a plate coming apart and coming in your direction is bad, so is a semi.

You seem like your mindful of your driving? Do you blaze down hills with the clutch engaged and in 2nd gear? No. Do you frequently attempt low rpm starts that result in stalls, like starting in 2nd on a hill or accidentally in 3rd, and smoke it to get it to speed? No. Do you rest your left foot on the pedal cause you don't have one of those ugly ass foot rests and your leg can move? No.

Well, chances are you will be fine. Living in NY though....(spent 10 there)

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Also, if @JimmyZ has not blown out his clutch, I doubt you will.

@JimmyZ - it's wed, you have wheels?