Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Wow. Unbelievable that you are in this predicament. That picture is your ticket to a new Jeep. But I would add to the complaint damages beyond the Jeep. Third party says inconclusive, while under warranty and they decided you are guilty. That’s completely backwards. Any good lawyer in the field would take your case with no charge to you.
Oh and you mentioned you are making payments. You are in a better position than if you had paid cash. Your creditor lost its collateral, check with them and I pretty sure they will jump in with you to get their collateral back.
Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Enjoy your new fully loaded Jeep that is totally paid off and includes a 7yr/100mi warranty and probably enough extra cash for all your mods.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Oh and you mentioned you are making payments. You are in a better position than if you had paid cash. Your creditor lost its collateral, check with them and I pretty sure they will jump in with you to get their collateral back.
The contract that he signed with the lender probably required that he carry insurance. I'm guessing that they might call the loan balance due if they find out what has happened.

WaldorfJL

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I received my letter this week. The Y07/NHTSA 21V-028. I had the sleeve installed a few months back for the first iteration of this. What an odd letter....if you have already paid to have this repair completed (to which they don't have a remedy)...??? I guess if you bought and paid to have a centerforce clutch installed to avoid the shattering and fires, it doesn't meet the criteria. I am not intelligent enough about the workings of the clutch, other than what I've read on here. The general consensus being they opted for less robust system in order to give the clutch a lighter feel, but sacrificed strength. I'm curious to how they would annotate an aftermarket clutch in the system, that would render their recall repairs obsolete. How would that effect the sale or purchase later on...you never had the safety recalls performed because you remedied the "problem" by eliminating it....

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The contract that he signed with the lender probably required that he carry insurance. I'm guessing that they might call the loan balance due if they find out what has happened.
You’re right. :headbang:

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
So I went over to a small elective training deployment overseas and my insurance was not renewed and i didn't have insurance for a short period of time. I called Jeep and they had a third party investigate the situation and they were "unable to determine the cause" so jeep refused to cover it. That said i have been paying on it since and it is literally a total loss. I have it stored in a friends garage but am now financially in a place that i might be able to pursue legal action.
was it being driven while uninsured? not a nice choice i
Yep contact a lawyer, tell them everything including that said vehicle did or did not have insurance and let them decide your best option although I think you'll be able to get a new jeep either way, I'm no lawyer though.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
“Unable to determine the cause”. Give me a break. Yea it’s shaped like a kitten, maybe like in the cartoons a kitten ran through it like Road Runner and left his body shape.

I followed that other Jeep burn thread that someone reposted on this thread pretty close. The guy was on every day and just like OP didn’t hear anything and was getting pissed. His name was Duramaxjack3. Then all of a sudden he was gone. I doubt the FCA mafia had him rubbed out. Lol.
Just a guess but he probably got a nice payout and a cease and desist order to stop talking about it.

Forestdawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6 Speed
I think it's pretty clear it's not safe. They just don't want to cover loaner cars for 30K+ people for 5+ weeks.

I have 18K trouble free miles on my 6 speed but I still won't risk driving with my kids in it until it's fixed. Sure, I can likely jump out if something were to happen but who knows if I can unbuckle 3 kids and get them out in time.

Thankfully I other cars to drive in the meantime.
That’s my fear. I can jump out quickly if needed but my 1 year old can’t. Never forgive myself if something happened.

Sponsored

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My guess is that normal driving and clutch use isn’t an issue, but heavy usage, like rock crawling, could generate enough friction to overheat and cause the pressure plate to fracture.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
My guess is that normal driving and clutch use isn’t an issue, but heavy usage, like rock crawling, could generate enough friction to overheat and cause the pressure plate to fracture.
I never even have to touch the clutch when rock crawling. Geared so low I don’t ever need to feather it or prevent a stall.

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL
I'm going to disagree with you on that. My wifes jeep had original repair (hyrdraulics etc). Her Jeep has never been used like it should. She has been driving a 5spd for 25 years etc. It started slipping under normal acceleration just giving it gas on the interstate etc. There is more to this issue than heavy usage.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Fragments could have hit fuel line or any number of things to cause a spark!
Sponsored