Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Rharv

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota
Wow I guess spending my whole life in the city I’ve got a lot to learn. I’ve never even seen a sand dune that big or even knew they existed.
The beaches I went to growing up in NYC and visiting Long Island consisted of 6 inch sand dunes.
The more you know the better you are keep learning
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
So now they say they don’t have a solution yet. Does this mean the software trick didn’t fly? Go figure.

image.jpg

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
So now they say they don’t have a solution yet. Does this mean the software trick didn’t fly? Go figure.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] image
I'm intrigued by the last paragraph. What would you do to resolve it on your own? And how could they validate it if the remedy is not available?

I got a note for my current Jeep and the last one i traded and they were different from each other. For the 2021 it was available but for the 2020 which i currently own it is not and appears to be the same letter you received.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm intrigued by the last paragraph. What would you do to resolve it on your own? And how could they validate it if the remedy is not available?

I got a note for my current Jeep and the last one i traded and they were different from each other. For the 2021 it was available but for the 2020 which i currently own it is not and appears to be the same letter you received.
I just got the letter saying no fix available for my 2018 🤷‍♂️

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I just got the letter saying no fix available for my 2018 🤷‍♂️
I bet the couldn’t dodge the bullet with a shady solution thru software. New clutch assembly has to be.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] image
Mailings always lag behind. They call it snail mail, after all.

New orders are already getting the software fix installed. Our 2018’s should have the fix ready any day now. Note that they have two different recall numbers for new vehicles vs. old (Y01 and Y07).

After the first recall guys tried and failed to get their centerforce replacements reimbursed. A couple of guys did negotiate free labor for an aftermarket install, but only after complete clutch failure and not as a preventative fix.

Anyway, install the phone app if you want real-time notification of fix availability. I expect dealers to start taking appointments in the next couple of weeks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 1615313178879

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I bet the couldn’t dodge the bullet with a shady solution thru software. New clutch assembly has to be.
No. The letter just says the fix is not available, yet. It does not say it has been abandoned. See my reply above.

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Got these two yesterday in the mail. Same day, different letter. Maybe they are rolling it out to the 2021's first for some reason.
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 20210309_122738

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] 20210309_122756

saltyjeeplife

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 00 XJ, 08 Scion TC, 15 Ram 3500, 15 Civic
Occupation
fighting natural selection
There's a lot to go through here - so if this was answered already - I'm sorry ..... even my service department thinks limiting the power through a software update is a shoddy fix. Our Jeep isn't abused, but it was bought to be a Jeep. We drive normal people cars to and from work, and take our Jeeps out on weekends and use them camping, fishing, and hunting. When we find ourselves in that situation where we need "a little mo' power baby" due to an obstacle or wheel slip or whatever it may be, we've had to use a little more clutch to build some momentum. If I'm in that situation, won't I just have more friction created regardless of the "power" the engine is allowed to make? For example, we've learned to immediately turn off traction control when in 4HI, because when it has detected wheel slip it has essentially "cut power" because it works to by slowing down the wheels. That scenario then forced us to first down shift (which killed momentum) and we actually had to stop and then ride the clutch some to get momentum back. We then realized it was the traction control and are now conditioned to always turn it off in 4HI. We seldom use ours in conditions that merit 4LO, as there's not a lot of places near enough to us for weekend trips that are public access. I just don't see how limiting my power versus what an automatic has is a true fix, when the real problem is defective manufacturing? Or is this just a scenario that happens with inexperienced drivers? I've always had a manual, 20+ years of one as a daily and all my toys. It just doesn't make sense to me that limiting the power is a true remedy of the problem, as chances are I'll still need the power if I'm truly in a condition where I'm using the clutch more than normal.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles
There's a lot to go through here - so if this was answered already - I'm sorry ..... even my service department thinks limiting the power through a software update is a shoddy fix. Our Jeep isn't abused, but it was bought to be a Jeep. We drive normal people cars to and from work, and take our Jeeps out on weekends and use them camping, fishing, and hunting. When we find ourselves in that situation where we need "a little mo' power baby" due to an obstacle or wheel slip or whatever it may be, we've had to use a little more clutch to build some momentum. If I'm in that situation, won't I just have more friction created regardless of the "power" the engine is allowed to make? For example, we've learned to immediately turn off traction control when in 4HI, because when it has detected wheel slip it has essentially "cut power" because it works to by slowing down the wheels. That scenario then forced us to first down shift (which killed momentum) and we actually had to stop and then ride the clutch some to get momentum back. We then realized it was the traction control and are now conditioned to always turn it off in 4HI. We seldom use ours in conditions that merit 4LO, as there's not a lot of places near enough to us for weekend trips that are public access. I just don't see how limiting my power versus what an automatic has is a true fix, when the real problem is defective manufacturing? Or is this just a scenario that happens with inexperienced drivers? I've always had a manual, 20+ years of one as a daily and all my toys. It just doesn't make sense to me that limiting the power is a true remedy of the problem, as chances are I'll still need the power if I'm truly in a condition where I'm using the clutch more than normal.
I agree with you-it’s NOT a fix for a weak pressure plate/clutch assembly. It’s a bandaid, designed NOT to cover a wound, but to keep you from going out side and scraping your elbows.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Did anyone save the last recall letter for the clutch test? I'm just going off of memory but It seems that the wording was very similar.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I called my dealer and they said the estimate they had was another 2 months for my ‘20 JLUR before they’d have the software.

vince murphy

First Name
vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL
I have a 2018 JL that spontaneously went up in flames after 5,000 miles. It had only been serviced one time for an oil change at a jeep dealer. It is a manual transmission and they initially denied my claim but now I'm convinced I should get an attorney to try and get a new jeep or a refund based on the recall. Can you guys recommend me what steps to take? I already had a lawyer that initially represented me and now jeep only will allow me to speak through my attorney with the legal department. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2018 JL that spontaneously went up in flames after 5,000 miles. It had only been serviced one time for an oil change at a jeep dealer. It is a manual transmission and they initially denied my claim but now I'm convinced I should get an attorney to try and get a new jeep or a refund based on the recall. Can you guys recommend me what steps to take? I already had a lawyer that initially represented me and now jeep only will allow me to speak through my attorney with the legal department. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Pics or it didn't happen...

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
You might have a case. If you go through this forum, Instagram and other social media platforms you can find a quite a few manuals that went up in flames. No doubt related to the recall. Some even took pictures of the exploded bell housing.

I used to talk with a guy on Instagram that had his go up. This was only the 2nd one I had seen so was early on with this whole ordeal. He gave up on the legal route since insurance paid out anyway.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...lt-of-transmission-failure.46100/post-1013332

1st page the OP has some photos and other links to more cases of this happening as well. Not to mention the gladiator cases.
Sponsored