Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

trat73

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Wrangler TJ, 2019 Wrangler JL
I think your dealer might be confused with something else. There isn't a flash out yet.
I would follow up with them, and let us know if you need any help.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thank you Kaitlin! You are correct, they didn't know that the patch wasn't available yet. Will schedule once it is released.
Sponsored

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I apologize for calling you out in public @GreySportySpice but I suspect this is precisely what has led to the failures.

First, keep you foot off the clutch pedal unless you are changing gears. Never sit waiting at a light with the clutch depressed. This will wear out the throwout bearing and, it turns out, cause the intermediate plate to overheat.
I appreciate the input. Tbh this is my first manual car. I learned mostly on bikes and didn't know that would cause excess wear. Btw my first clutch never failed.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I appreciate the input. Tbh this is my first manual car. I learned mostly on bikes and didn't know that would cause excess wear. Btw my first clutch never failed.
Thanks for taking my post the way it was meant. I've taught many people how to drive a stick. I remember teaching my youngest brother by taking him to Airplane Hill in Signal Hill/Long Beach California. This was about 1980 in my 1970 Scout 800A. I parked on the hill (it's got to be a 12% grade) and told him "If you can start here, you can start anywhere." He tried repeatedly but never quiet managed to pull away from the curb. We still laugh about it to this day!

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Kreepin1 said:
But I will install larger tires. I will crawl through rock gardens, frequently backing up and trying a new line. I will drop the clutch in 2nd or 3rd at 2,500 rpm to blast up sand dunes or muddy hills. And dammit, the clutch better be up to this kind of abuse.
I hear that!!! If she blows, she blows :)

Just kidding Jeep Cares.. my Jeep is really babied and only driven on nicely paved roads

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I just know they will be delayed until the flash is available, which is anticipated to be in March.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
I imagine that there is a parking lot in Ohio that is slowly filling up with Manual Jeeps that roll off the assembly line. All are sitting and waiting until the flash is developed and can be loaded.

The million dollar question is now, will the manuals or the half-door Jeeps get released first? We all want to know!

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I imagine that there is a parking lot in Ohio that is slowly filling up with Manual Jeeps that roll off the assembly line. All are sitting and waiting until the flash is developed and can be loaded.

The million dollar question is now, will the manuals or the half-door Jeeps get released first? We all want to know!
Mine is one of them sitting in the lot, a 2-door manual with half-doors. I am so screwed :facepalm:

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The bitter irony here is that most people who bought a manual transmission in their JL or JT did so specifically because they wanted to avoid overly sophisticated electronic controls. For their trouble they ended up with a Jeep that will be programmed to kill power via electronic nannies to protect itself. Ahhh....the irony.

It's enough to make a guy cry. Price goes up, quality and engineering goes down.
Yes, but the good news is that there is no new hardware and only existing sensors are used, so software is all it is. Probably adds 0.000001% more code to your PCM. Physically, the only changes are the little bits and pieces installed in the initial recall.

So I'd say it is still as simple as it ever was after the flash. And the 3.6's private parts are still intact.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

They won't be for long. They will be the first to get the flash when ready. If we get it in March, these things will have it before February ends. The priority list is as follows: 1. New production. 2. Unsold units on dealer lots. 3. Undelivered vehicles at the dealer. And 4. Me and others with Jeeps currently on the road.

Bass-ackward for a safety issue, but logistics plays a heavy influence. But I'd rather them practice on a few before getting to mine. The techs need to know which slot in which to place the programmer! Lol.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Yes, but the good news is that there is no new hardware and only existing sensors are used, so software is all it is. Probably adds 0.000001% more code to your PCM. Physically, the only changes are the little bits and pieces installed in the initial recall.

So I'd say it is still as simple as it ever was after the flash. And the 3.6's private parts are still intact.
just like the 392 and all things jeep ā€œwe will seeā€

I repect what jeepcares has given us-but... we will see

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
just like the 392 and all things jeep ā€œwe will seeā€

I repect what jeepcares has given us-but... we will see
My heavy flywheel has by far been my favorite upgrade. Stock 1st gear, my Jeep would buck and surge if left to idle across a parking lot. Now smooth as butter, 2-high it can slowly creep across open spaces and climb small obstacles without touching the skinny pedal. I can reverse up a steep(ish) driveway with careful clutch control, not having to touch the skinny pedal either.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Recall now shows up in the My Jeep iPhone app (and I assume on the MOPAR ownerā€™s site, too):

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] CBAF5E59-C1C9-4BE1-9C14-DED8AE1392E0

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] EDC0CFD4-994E-4DA7-B8FF-6D3C44DBC47B

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@JeepCares - when this PCM flash is available, do you know if itā€™s cumulative in terms of existing TSBā€™s? In other words, will this recall also provide all interim software fixes that have been released?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
My heavy flywheel has by far been my favorite upgrade. Stock 1st gear, my Jeep would buck and surge if left to idle across a parking lot. Now smooth as butter, 2-high it can slowly creep across open spaces and climb small obstacles without touching the skinny pedal. I can reverse up a steep(ish) driveway with careful clutch control, not having to touch the skinny pedal either.
The low speed bucking and surging was fixed on my 2018 JL with a PCM update.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares - when this PCM flash is available, do you know if itā€™s cumulative in terms of existing TSBā€™s? In other words, will this recall also provide all interim software fixes that have been released?
Hello, the recall flash will only address the concerns related to the recall.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Lotta questions about the unknown-this is like a new windows version in an office
Sponsored