Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
Man, this sucks. I went to my dealer yesterday to make an offer on a 6-speed Rubi they’ve had for a while. Had the options I wanted. I got there and they said no test drives or sales of 6-speeds:swear:
I've been reading and following this problem for the past few days. I had a 2017 Jeep JK Rubicon Hardrock 2-door. Loaded with 6-speed manual. Traded it for a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro. I'm heading back to my Jeep dealer that I bought my JK off of tomorrow morning. Going to try and trade my Tacoma for a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door with a 6-speed manual. Ordering the Jeep because no one has a 2-door Rubicon with a 6-speed manual anywhere. This recall bothers me...but, I'm still going forward regardless as long as the trade goes well. Worked at Borg-Warner for 26+ years. And in those years produce the finest manual transmissions period. Then in '97 sold out the manual business to Tremec of Mexico. There are still good manuals out there. It's to bad they went cheap on the transmission and the clutch assembly. To think what could be behind that Pentastar 3.6 or the 2.0 liter...or the 3.0 liter diesel. Still looking forward to tomorrow. I just hope they don't stop the manual permanently now.
Sponsored

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I've been reading and following this problem for the past few days. I had a 2017 Jeep JK Rubicon Hardrock 2-door. Loaded with 6-speed manual. Traded it for a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro. I'm heading back to my Jeep dealer that I bought my JK off of tomorrow morning. Going to try and trade my Tacoma for a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door with a 6-speed manual. Ordering the Jeep because no one has a 2-door Rubicon with a 6-speed manual anywhere. This recall bothers me...but, I'm still going forward regardless as long as the trade goes well. Worked at Borg-Warner for 26+ years. And in those years produce the finest manual transmissions period. Then in '97 sold out the manual business to Tremec of Mexico. There are still good manuals out there. It's to bad they went cheap on the transmission and the clutch assembly. To think what could be behind that Pentastar 3.6 or the 2.0 liter...or the 3.0 liter diesel. Still looking forward to tomorrow. I just hope they don't stop the manual permanently now.
I can't believe they would take away the manual option from the iconic Jeep, although the sales numbers may eventually warrant that move. Manual transmissions are the best theft deterrent there is: the young punks who jack cars can't drive 'em ;)

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So why can't we just have a belt driven e-torque mild hybrid system like what's been on the Ram for years? We wouldn't have to clutch in at a light. Let the engine stall as the electric motor will get us moving again and once wheel speed gets engine rpm above stall (800 ish rpm) the gas motor can take over. Then the only time we use the clutch is when changing gears which is very limited time periods therefore drastically reducing clutch wear.

Or they could just dust off the blueprints from the 1946 Powerwagon and build a clutch in the first place that can handle v6 power...

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
This is so frustrating, clutches have been fine for a hundred years now all of a sudden they’re insufficient. They could easily put in a more durable clutch in the new Jeep’s but won’t because they know people with the older Jeep’s will demand the “safe” clutch.
You can thank all the litigation in this country for this. Sue, sue, sue for everything and now Jeep has to cover there ass by using the same garbage clutches but limiting our engines.
I’ll say it again, If I notice my engine governing down while driving through snow or mud, I’m not opting for an automatic Jeep. I’m researching the Bronco.

Deleted member 59098

After skimming through 99 pages in this thread, what is the consensus? Never take your Jeep to the dealership? Upgrade to aftermarket?

Sponsored

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After skimming through 99 pages in this thread, what is the consensus? Never take your Jeep to the dealership? Upgrade to aftermarket?
I would try and have a nice conversation with the service manager, one on one off the record. Discuss the issue. Then approach the aftermarket clutch availability and see what he or she says. Without voiding your warranty. Or...if the warranty is about gone talk about them doing a clutch upgrade for you. I don't have near enough mechanical talent to try that. They do and the tools. My dealership is super small and the only new car dealership in that county. They are cool to work with.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
So...I'm curious. Always driven manuals, but never had to replace a clutch before. For the uninitiated, what's the ballpark cost to expect if you went the Centerforce route, assuming installation by a mechanic?

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
So...I'm curious. Always driven manuals, but never had to replace a clutch before. For the uninitiated, what's the ballpark cost to expect if you went the Centerforce route, assuming installation by a mechanic?
...about $1k for the clutch, another $1k for the labor, that's here in the midwest.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I would try and have a nice conversation with the service manager, one on one off the record. Discuss the issue. Then approach the aftermarket clutch availability and see what he or she says. Without voiding your warranty. Or...if the warranty is about gone talk about them doing a clutch upgrade for you. I don't have near enough mechanical talent to try that. They do and the tools. My dealership is super small and the only new car dealership in that county. They are cool to work with.
It doesn’t matter how cool or sympathetic your dealer is. An open recall is an open recall is an open recall. No dealer is going to mark the recall complete without actually doing the work.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
not difficult at all with the correct equipment, there are threads and videos you can watch....very informational even if your not going to attempt it yourself.

but yeah, about 1K in labor give or take at a reputable mechanic or transmission shop.

Sponsored

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn’t matter how cool or sympathetic your dealer is. An open recall is an open recall is an open recall. No dealer is going to mark the recall complete without actually doing the work.
For the most part true. I'm wondering if the problem they are having is causing me to drag my feet today. Off today for weather. Perfect time to work on a deal on the new Wrangler. All speced out. Just need to do it.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I will probably order a centerforce when it becomes available-but will look at other options as well, INCLUDING what FCA comes up with even if its a silly patch, I placed a call into CF today, they said the redesign will be out end March/into april.

I've invested in a Genesis dual kit, and have zero problems putting an aftermarket clutch and not taking the car to the dealer. My two other vehicles (02) and (08) with over 600K run just fine without visiting a dealer.

I understand, we paid x bucks, there is a warranty. I also understand the hassles people get with trips to their dealer....going 4-5 times, heck there is a guy in the axle thread on his third rear axle.....or the people who wait for gearboxes only to have the former AL reinstalled.

Owners should understand their options. Most who complain about the warranty have never changed their fluids or even sought out an independent mechanic. Like a good Doc, Attorney, Real Estate agent, whatever, a good mechanic will make your life much easier....and probably cheaper in the long run-considering one might be cleaning or patching work.

Mechanics who run their own shops do so by getting shit right the first time and not forcing their clients on 2-4 trips/arguements over something as static as an oil change.

Sorry about the rant, but with all the butthurt over this new jeep owners need to realize there are jeeps that have never seen a dealer out there that are older than they are. Just too many threads of people getting the reach around at the dealer because of tires, or because they wired aux lights to their aux panel....or because of a mopar lift.

Maybe I am just to the point in life where my expectations are little, and hearing another line of bullshit is just that....

I have two leaky rear shocks on my JLUR I got in OCT, it has not been off-road. Called local dealer, 150 for one shock-2 months+(unacceptable), called shop, got 2 rears for 40 bucks take off. Done.

Not going to wait 2 months plus to warranty a shock sorry, and no you can't have my jeep overnight, it's 2 bolts.
I view the warranty and an extended warranty as insurance in case something goes horribly wrong. I have taken my Jeep to the dealer for two items; 1. the sleeve add-on (I never had a single issue with my clutch) and 2. the steering TSB, which I am happier about every day I drive my Jeep. That change has resulted in such an improvement in highway driving.

I have done all my own service and will do so into the future. I agree that local shops have a stronger vested interest in making the customer happy since the dealers all know that a percentage of people will always go back to them for service.

Mr.Fatstacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Sport Manual

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
So why can't we just have a belt driven e-torque mild hybrid system like what's been on the Ram for years? We wouldn't have to clutch in at a light. Let the engine stall as the electric motor will get us moving again and once wheel speed gets engine rpm above stall (800 ish rpm) the gas motor can take over. Then the only time we use the clutch is when changing gears which is very limited time periods therefore drastically reducing clutch wear.

Or they could just dust off the blueprints from the 1946 Powerwagon and build a clutch in the first place that can handle v6 power...
That just doesn't sound like a manual transmission, to me. It sounds like a manu-matic/hybrid. Sounds really interesting and neat, but not what I was looking for in a manual.
Sponsored