Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Man, this sucks. I went to my dealer yesterday to make an offer on a 6-speed Rubi they’ve had for a while. Had the options I wanted. I got there and they said no test drives or sales of 6-speeds:swear:
I kinda have the off feeling that we own the last manuals that will ever come off the jeep line.

Therby

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport 2dr
Vehicle Showcase
What are people’s thoughts on a regeared manual transmission?

mines geared to 4.56
Think this would possibly prolong the clutch life? Cause issues quicker?
I don’t have to give it gas to start moving so its not working as hard

thoughts, opinions?

Sponsored

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
What are people’s thoughts on a regeared manual transmission?

mines geared to 4.56
Think this would possibly prolong the clutch life? Cause issues quicker?
I don’t have to give it gas to start moving so its not working as hard

thoughts, opinions?
It was an absolute requirement on this new JL transmission when I went to 35s. I have owned a few manual Jeeps prior to this JL and all had lifts on 35s. I was used to losing 6th gear on anything other than highway speeds on a downhill, but the 35s on the JL make even 5th gear useless. I had to row back to first on yields/rolling stops... 2nd would bog the engine.

4.56 gears with 35s seem to be a sweet spot for the 3.6L and JL tranny.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Well said J. I don’t beat my Jeep up. Even when I go off road I use 4low, 1st gear, take my time and enjoy the country side. I’ve never slipped or smelled my clutch. I don’t believe mine will ever be an issue.
I’m not saying everybody that has a slipping clutch is a bad driver. You’re right maybe we just got lucky with ours. I will say though that not every manual driver is a good driver.
If you ever read “The Clutch Gang” thread, there are some people in there that should just buy automatic Jeep’s. I swear there’s guys in that room that post: “I always start out in 2nd gear”, “ I just use 1st, 3rd and 5th gear”, “I use 6th gear while driving 45mph because it saves gas”.
Of course your clutch is gonna slip if you’re in too high of a gear.
I believe there’s good drivers with bad clutches but I’m sure there’s a few bad drivers with good clutches too..
You got it. You know the statistical anomaly: 95% of drivers consider themselves above average:facepalm: :CWL:
Mathematically impossible, but of course you and I belong to the right of the curve.:giggle:

Wrongful Suspicion

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Why would they halt sells and and orders, but not plan on notifying anyone else for like 5 weeks. Most people driving a manual right now won’t even know there’s an issue until mid March. Obviously it’s not that big of an issue.

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Why would they halt sells and and orders, but not plan on notifying anyone else for like 5 weeks. Most people driving a manual right now won’t even know there’s an issue until mid March. Obviously it’s not that big of an issue.
I’m hoping they plan to have it resolved by that time.. So when current owners are notified the fix is ready. Just speculating.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I'm a little late to the party here but i am reading this correctly? Their fix is dumbing the engine down so you have less torque? I don't wheel. Heck, I don't drive far at all but this is seriously effd up.
You buy a jeep for the capability and now they wanna fix it by making it do less?

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
@DanW -i've seen several mentions of the 1100 degree mark in these clutch threads. I am curious to the reference of that temp....where did we get that from? Just curious.
What would even make you reach that temp? Not normal driving??

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What would even make you reach that temp? Not normal driving??
The only time a clutch builds up temperature is while it is slipping. If the clutch is right, and the driver knows how to drive that time of slippage is very short while you engage the clutch (let out the pedal). If there is something wrong (the driver or actual mechanical failure) and the clutch slips for a long period it will overheat. Of course a worn out clutch will slip, specially on higher gears, but you would only expect that to happen way north of 120,000 miles. That’s when you know you are in for a new clutch. Unless you really neglect it, and keep driving for days, is nothing will let you stranded. Never hear of them exploding and causing fires till now. My opinion.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I'm a little late to the party here but i am reading this correctly? Their fix is dumbing the engine down so you have less torque? I don't wheel. Heck, I don't drive far at all but this is seriously effd up.
You buy a jeep for the capability and now they wanna fix it by making it do less?
Well, that's the question. The language I read on the recall suggests it only throttles torque IF it detects the high temps. So it shouldn't be "dumbing down" all the time, only if you get into that high temp situation. But we'll have to see as there is some discrepancy in the language of the notices according to an earlier post about this.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that's the question. The language I read on the recall suggests it only throttles torque IF it detects the high temps. So it shouldn't be "dumbing down" all the time, only if you get into that high temp situation. But we'll have to see as there is some discrepancy in the language of the notices according to an earlier post about this.
One of the big questions is how will they read the temperature of the clutch. So far we have heard of software changes, not adding hardware.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I read the same 'conditional' you read in their language.
Sponsored