Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I do all my own mechanic work (within reason, not sure I'd try swapping the clutch myself) and fluid changes. I just purchased four more qts of Amsoil 75w110 for my 3rd diff fluid swap.

Checked the levels today, which is incredibly simple with the ARB diff cover dipstick and the magnets were clean, which mean they've broken in perfectly. The engine is also strong and broken in w/o issue. Same with the trans. I had some debris on the trans magnet the first swap but now it's just a little normal metallic sludge so it's good to go as well.

I think once my clutch is worn out, the aftermarket will have a fine solution. Centerforce sounds like they're serious about it and south bend clutch will probably have something as well. I think people are overreacting a a bit about the whole thing, though anxiety about your jeep turning into a rolling fireball can have that effect :).
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I do all my own mechanic work (within reason, not sure I'd try swapping the clutch myself) and fluid changes. I just purchased four more qts of Amsoil 75w110 for my 3rd diff fluid swap.

Checked the levels today, which is incredibly simple with the ARB diff cover dipstick and the magnets were clean, which mean they've broken in perfectly. The engine is also strong and broken in w/o issue. Same with the trans. I had some debris on the trans magnet the first swap but now it's just a little normal metallic sludge so it's good to go as well.

I think once my clutch is worn out, the aftermarket will have a fine solution. Centerforce sounds like they're serious about it and south bend clutch will probably have something as well. I think people are overreacting a a bit about the whole thing, though anxiety about your jeep turning into a rolling fireball can have that effect on people :).
I did this yesterday, (might do front tomorrow and wife's jeep late), since all their trained mechanics and engineers can't....i've changed a dozen or so clutches in various things with wheels over the years, it's not fun, and shits heavy. It's a shame FCA does not trust all their excellent dealer network of mechanics to replace approx 30K clutches. Pretty telling though. I am an accountant and trust my mechanical work more than I trust someone I have not met or will ever meet at the dealer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] IMG_0091

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] IMG_0079
Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] IMG_0086

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yeah so even if we don’t want this reflash of the PCM, at any time we take this to the dealer for any other work the recall will most likely surface. Can only imagine that if we refuse it, that may come back to bite us in the butt if something catastrophic might occur.

My insignificant gut feeling is FCA is doing this reflash to buy itself some time to possibly come up with a new design for the clutch and flywheel assembly. The NTHSA is forcing them to do something NOW, and also they will spend a ton in redesign and recalls for the entire assembly to be replaced. So I half expect another recall in a year or so once the redesigned system is figured out and they saved some coin for the expense.

I do wonder, though, as some others have stated- feel like if they detune the power train would a class action be possible? I mean we all bought this thing with the current power ratings and now if they reduce it we aren’t getting what we bought into.

On the surface that sounds stupid but something just doesn’t mesh well with me.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Yeah so even if we don’t want this reflash of the PCM, at any time we take this to the dealer for any other work the recall will most likely surface. Can only imagine that if we refuse it, that may come back to bite us in the butt if something catastrophic might occur.

My insignificant gut feeling is FCA is doing this reflash to buy itself some time to possibly come up with a new design for the clutch and flywheel assembly. The NTHSA is forcing them to do something NOW, and also they will spend a ton in redesign and recalls for the entire assembly to be replaced. So I half expect another recall in a year or so once the redesigned system is figured out and they saved some coin for the expense.

I do wonder, though, as some others have stated- feel like if they detune the power train would a class action be possible? I mean we all bought this thing with the current power ratings and now if they reduce it we aren’t getting what we bought into.

On the surface that sounds stupid but something just doesn’t mesh well with me.
This actually sounds responsible. Maybe this is a short term fix for a redesign.

I’m not too worried. Jeep has been pretty good to me so far. And if the worst did happen and they detuned everyone’s engines and the detune wasn’t just temp related I’m sure a class action would happen since the specs we purchased are being changed.
Again though I think we are getting a little too worried before it’s necessary.
Gonna put my torch down.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would not participate in any class action related to something as nebulous as a clutch. Replace it and drive on.

I hope everyone expectations of a maintenance free off-road vehicle continue though.

Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would not participate in any class action related to something as nebulous as a clutch. Replace it and drive on.

I hope everyone expectations of a maintenance free off-road vehicle continue though.
I would be worried about resale values for the manuals. And even if you replace the clutch, doesn’t mean Jeep won’t reprogram this at some point if you get work done at the dealer.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I would be worried about resale values for the manuals. And even if you replace the clutch, doesn’t mean Jeep won’t reprogram this at some point if you get work done at the dealer.
last vehicle I resold was an 83 ford in 2008. it was pretty depreciated. lol. I don't recall ever taking a vehicle to the dealer for service in my lifetime so.....

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

It’s not a class action against a clutch replacement we’re all annoyed with. I think most of us would change the clutch at our own expense if need be. We love our Jeeps that much.
It’s this reduction of torque we’re all pissed about. Do you want less torque when your towing or off roading through a mud ditch?

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Detuning the JL motor would not be the first time FCA has detuned a motor.

If I remember correct, the 2018 Cummins Ram could be had with ~900 Ft/Lbs of torque with an automatic. If one purchased the manual, the engine only had ~600 Ft/Lbs of torque. Seems like FCA has an issue with getting a clutch assembly done right.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
A few things...
1) I can’t speak for all states but in NY when you go for a mandatory yearly inspection, they will know if you didn’t perform a recall so if you decide to just never go to the dealer, you’ll get nailed there and won’t pass inspection. At least in NY.

2) As far as never going back to the dealership. Let’s say my Sky One Touch breaks. I’m a damn plumber, I’m not attempting to fix that. Where would I go?

3) I have a good relationship with the shop manager at my dealership. Once this becomes official I will take a drive there for me and you folks and flat out ask if there’s any way around the de-tune. Including a new better clutch. If he says no. Then on my next repair, I’ll let them do it. If I notice any difference the next time I’m trailing or driving snow. I will research the competition and as long as they don’t have the same BS, see ya FCA. I’m not kidding and I’m not being pushed into an automatic.

Sponsored

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Not to stand up for FCA, believe me....but I think we are a little out of control on this thread? It seems to me that the de-tune would happen only if the PCM sensed an over-heat condition of the clutch? (Like someone has said, they will probably have to install a temp sensor and harness someplace.) It would seem to me that there would be NO de-tune until there was an over-heat; and if you wanted a work-around above that, you could simply remove the sensor, leave it connected so as not to throw a code and secure it out of the way. That way, if the dealer installed new software, it would make no difference. Same with a Centerforce clutch. All that being said, I learned very early in my ownership that the OEM clutch absolutely CANNOT take a joke; and I wish they would put in a more substantial one.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
A few things...
1) I can’t speak for all states but in NY when you go for a mandatory yearly inspection, they will know if you didn’t perform a recall so if you decide to just never go to the dealer, you’ll get nailed there and won’t pass inspection. At least in NY.
Morning, Steve! What would a "voluntary" recall have to do with a safety/emissions inspection? NYS inspections, like most/all, cover roadworthiness, operating condition, maintenance, safety, and emissions. There's nothing in the NYS DMV inspection program about recalls. I'm from NY and have never had a recall affect inspection.

The inspection station can't differentiate between intentionally avoiding a recall vs. not being able to satisfy it since you're at the mercy of a dealer & parts availability. A safety & emissions inspection covers what's within your immediate control.

A recall ain't like having a bald tire. A tire can be replaced within minutes, but recalls can take months/years.

Last edited:

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Also, if no temp sensor is installed and the PCM can know what gear you are in (I don't know whether it can or not) It would be pretty simple math for the PCM to sense between driveline RPM and engine RPM and know if the clutch is slipping or not, then de-tune. Just speculation.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
A few things...

2) As far as never going back to the dealership. Let’s say my Sky One Touch breaks. I’m a damn plumber, I’m not attempting to fix that. Where would I go?

3) I have a good relationship with the shop manager at my dealership. Once this becomes official I will take a drive there for me and you folks and flat out ask if there’s any way around the de-tune. Including a new better clutch. If he says no. Then on my next repair, I’ll let them do it. If I notice any difference the next time I’m trailing or driving snow. I will research the competition and as long as they don’t have the same BS, see ya FCA. I’m not kidding and I’m not being pushed into an automatic.
I’m with ya. My dealership is great. I have no issues. I know there are a lot of crappy ones out there but I have zero issues with mine or with Jeep.

I have owned GM, Ford, Acura, Volvo, BMW. Of the three cars in the garage my Jeep has had the best service from my dealer and @JeepCares which believe me was a shock.

I’m fine with any fix they come up with that works and doesn’t decrease power at all times but only when a catastrophe is imminent. We just don’t know what the fix really is yet. Till then I’m making popcorn.

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Morning, Steve! What would a "voluntary" recall have to do with a safety/emissions inspection? NYS inspections, like most/all, cover roadworthiness, operating condition, maintenance, safety, and emissions. There's nothing in the NYS DMV inspection program about recalls. I'm from NY and have never had a recall affect inspection.

The inspection station can't differentiate between intentionally avoiding a recall vs. not being able to satisfy it since you're at the mercy of a dealer & parts availability. A safety & emissions inspection covers what's within your immediate control.

A recall ain't like having a bald tire. A tire can be replaced within minutes, but recalls can take months/years.
I think "voluntary" recall in this sense doesn't mean it's voluntary to us as consumers. It means FCA is doing the recall on their own volition, not being forced to by the NHTSA.

Maryland let's you re register the vehicle with open recalls but you can't buy and register it as a new owner with them open
Sponsored