Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I went to pick up some take off rear shocks yesterday since mine were leaking.

A bird told me 35K would get me a 6.4 w a larger gas tank.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I went to pick up some take off rear shocks yesterday since mine were leaking.

A bird told me 35K would get me a 6.4 w a larger gas tank.
Powerwagon??

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
@Torero

You are so correct about the solution being BS.
Statements in the above that

"software to reduce engine torque capability when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate."​

This is such BS. As other have mentioned, since there is no sensor to monitor pressure plate temperature, there is no way to accurately measure pressure plate temperature.

The other statements in your post

"There is no defective part. The issue is the result of design specification. The remedy is updated software for the vehicle that mitigates safety risk related to the clutch assembly."​

The this part is pure Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot.

• "There is no defective part"
    • Then why do parts fail and then cause a fire
    • Then why has FCA replaced parts
  • "The issue is the result of design specification
    • The part of a design specification could be correct
    • If its a bad design specification for a part, then do a recall and install better parts
  • "The is updated software"
    • How is software going to fix a mechanical/metallurgical/installation/design specification problem
    • So what is the software fix? Reduce engine Hp/Torque? Unacceptable.
  • "Mitigates safety risks"
    • Mitigates safety risk means the risk is still there
    • We want a solution that fixes the problem, not mitigates them.
Of course a software "fix" is cheaper than installing new parts the eliminate the problem.
The 3.6 motor produces less than 300 Lbs of torque. Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate is not rocket science. This should be a relatively easy mechanical fix. Might cost a FCA a few $$, but they had no problem taking our $$, so now then need to spend some of that to fix their "design specification" problem and install good parts that will fix the problem.

What really needs to be seen is a detailed independent root cause analysis (RCA) of this clutch failure issue. From a good RCA, it may be revealed that there is several issues. From that good RCA a proper solution that can be developed that fixes the problem and does not take away from the performance of the JL. Basically coming up with a solution (e.g., "updated software") before truly understanding the problem is reprehensible.

My $0.015 worth:
Before solving the problem, understand the problem.
FCA, do your homework, do a proper RCA, find a proper fix.
There is no rocket science here. All it takes is proper parts.
I had the same thoughts. Very well expressed. I am in mechanical engineering and this solution would never fly with a military customer.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That does... Is that why my built Jeep's shipping date has been pushed back twice and has been sitting in "inspection phase"???

Thanks for proactively responding @JeepCares
Hi, yes most likely. We are planning an outbound campaign to those who have their vehicles on order that will be delayed so you may hear from Jeep.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
A lot of folks were reporting clutch slippage and smell under normal driving conditions. I've smoked mine a few times in extreme use and smelled it but I've been driving manuals for 30 years and know when I'm doing things that cause it lol. It's rare but I know what's occurring and why it happened. I've never smelled mine in 'normal' driving. Zero slippage in normal driving at 18.5k miles.
Yeah I can't say I have ever smelled my clutch. Even in 4lo, 3rd gear foot to the floor trying to back up from the beer tree on the rubicon trail when the slabs were covered in snow and ice. Probably sat there for 20 minutes. Oil temp hit 242!

Last edited:

fczabala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; X5
Clubs

@JeepCares can you share if vehicles ordered/built after January 22 would "need" this recall /
are they gonna be programmed the same way? or is Jeep planning on changing the "design"
(clutch) for future orders?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The Jeep care hung up on me haha. Told me the clutch is a wearable part with a 12k mile warranty. I was like yeah a part that has had 2 recalls related to it with the potential for a fire and mine has loud audible issues. Then sorry no one here can help you. Click.

Who wants to buy my Jeep! 😂. All my buddy’s 300k mile manual transmission toyota crawlers are totally fine!

Who’s got Mike Manleys email?
I am really sorry to hear this. We are happy to speak further, just send us a private message with your VIN and some details.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

Bejer

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport Firecracker Red
@JeepCares can you share if vehicles ordered/built after January 22 would "need" this recall /
are they gonna be programmed the same way? or is Jeep planning on changing the "design"
I would imagine the new ones would be getting the death flash from the factory. Changing the clutch design would be admitting they’re faulty and would open them up to have to replace them all

Sponsored

fczabala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR; X5
Clubs

I would imagine the new ones would be getting the death flash from the factory. Changing the clutch design would be admitting they’re faulty and would open them up to have to replace them all
it was worth a shot! lol I have been "planning" on ordering a manual JLUR for a year now but
with covid, a newborn, job/income uncertainty and now this, it seems it won't happen until 22MY
and hope they address this issue better than a software patch SMH.. I can hope/see them doing a
powertrain/tranny "change/adjustment" with a new model year or is that a hailmary too?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello, the recall will be done before you take delivery.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
I love my Jeep and I have been thinking about my options over the last few days due to the clutch issues. 1. Sell it. 2. Trade it for an automatic. 3. Have a Centerforce clutch installed. Option 1 isn't really an option because well, I love my Jeep. As for option 2, I've decided I'm never going to give Chrysler anymore money because of this. It's obvious the clutch needs to be replaced and I feel like I have been given the run around with the sleeve recall and now the potential for torque reduction. I keep thinking about how the recall notice says a software update will be done for the customer at no charge, as if it's some sort of favor. This leaves option 3, so I am going to order and have a Centerforce clutch installed. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
I love my Jeep and I have been thinking about my options over the last few days due to the clutch issues. 1. Sell it. 2. Trade it for an automatic. 3. Have a Centerforce clutch installed. Option 1 isn't really an option because well, I love my Jeep. As for option 2, I've decided I'm never going to give Chrysler anymore money because of this. It's obvious the clutch needs to be replaced and I feel like I have been given the run around with the sleeve recall and now the potential for torque reduction. I keep thinking about how the recall notice says a software update will be done for the customer at no charge, as if it's some sort of favor. This leaves option 3, so I am going to order and have a Centerforce clutch installed. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
But as soon as a dealer touches it the software will be installed whether or not you have a oem clutch or a aftermarket clutch.
Sponsored