Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I dunno. I don’t understand what could ever be so great about an auto. You press the skinny pedal and they go. Some are smoother and better at picking the right gear than others, but they’re hardly something I can get excited about. Manually “shifting” an auto and/or using paddle shifters doesn’t do anything for me; it’s gimmicky.

Well, it says “voluntary” recall. I do not volunteer. My manual drives great.
I agree. An Auto is better in virtually every by-the-numbers category, but it doesn't give you that intangible connection to your jeep. And I couldn't agree more about manually shifting an auto. There's a 1 in a million chance you would ever be better at picking a gear than what the computer is doing on it's own, it become tedious really quickly. The joy of a manual really is the clutch. It's the chance to challenge yourself with each shift to be smooth, or quick, or hit a rev-matched down shift just right. It's not about choosing gears, it's about how you get into those gears
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If you notice, there hasn't been much chatter about the new Bronco. I think despite a couple of nice features we all realized we're Jeep people. However I think this detuning our engines to cover an inferior product could actually push some regular and die hard Jeepers to the competition.
Another shame is if we decline this recall and the FCA inferior product does cause a vehicle fire we're gonna be screwed as far as an insurance pay out. The insurance company will jump all over the "you didn't comply with the recall" excuse.
Not me. IFS doesn't appeal to me, at all. I'd go with an auto JL any day before an IFS vehicle. And it isn't like Ford doesn't have problems, too. My Transit is on its 4th safety recall in 5 years.

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
How to auto manufacturers take something some basic and simple as a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate and turn it into a complicated fire breathing disaster?

As far as I know, the aftermarket folks still use the dual mass flywheel.

Wish someone would come out with a simple flywheel, clutch, pressure plate for our JLs
This should be easy.

Even with all the issues with the JLs and the clutches, I would still get a manual.
For me, manuals have been great (BMW x3, 230K miles, original clutch when traded in and 2012 Mustang V6, replaced OEM clutch at 210k Miles, (didn't need though, just wanted to see the disc))

Never had much luck with high mileage automatics. Usually would up spending $$ on an auto tranny rebuild with major upgrades.

Bottom line, no way I'm going to have the dealership throttle back my JLR.
If the clutch goes, going with aftermarket.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] Save the manuals 4

JSKAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Update #2:

Spoke with the technician at my local dealer this morning. Jeep is covering the repair of the flywheel and clutch. They expect to have the parts in by next Wednesday, and they provided a loaner vehicle for me.
Just wanted to provide a final update. 49 days later my Jeep is finished. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet, we're snowed in here.

EMS

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Per Mr. Bernal of Centerforce, it was only a few of the Centerforce II clutches that made noise. The Dual frictions like mine have not made any abnormal noises.
Indeed... as per a tech at CF I spoke with today, it is directly related to regearing. I can confirm, since I had the clutch installed about a month prior to my regear to 4.56. No abnormal noises in that span. Chewbaca showed up immediately after. New parts are expected to ship out next month to anybody who can show proof of purchase with the expectation that the offending components are to be shipped back to CF after the swapout. It will just be the friction plate and a few aux components from what he described to me.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I call this fix BS

F171009D-DBB7-48F1-80A2-6F80AC90F6D6.png

CAF1863F-D9B1-4630-847F-2EA07DCAEE02.png

3850715D-AC12-414B-B728-7D33296797F6.png

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I dunno. I don’t understand what could ever be so great about an auto. You press the skinny pedal and they go. Some are smoother and better at picking the right gear than others, but they’re hardly something I can get excited about. Manually “shifting” an auto and/or using paddle shifters doesn’t do anything for me; it’s gimmicky.

Well, it says “voluntary” recall. I do not volunteer. My manual drives great.
You do know that “voluntary” recall does not mean voluntary to you, right? It means that FCA has decided to do it before the government mandates them to do it. It is mandatory to us.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I agree. An Auto is better in virtually every by-the-numbers category, but it doesn't give you that intangible connection to your jeep. And I couldn't agree more about manually shifting an auto. There's a 1 in a million chance you would ever be better at picking a gear than what the computer is doing on it's own, it become tedious really quickly. The joy of a manual really is the clutch. It's the chance to challenge yourself with each shift to be smooth, or quick, or hit a rev-matched down shift just right. It's not about choosing gears, it's about how you get into those gears
It's about choosing gears for me coming off a pass at 12K +

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@Torero

You are so correct about the solution being BS.
Statements in the above that

"software to reduce engine torque capability when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate."​

This is such BS. As other have mentioned, since there is no sensor to monitor pressure plate temperature, there is no way to accurately measure pressure plate temperature.

The other statements in your post

"There is no defective part. The issue is the result of design specification. The remedy is updated software for the vehicle that mitigates safety risk related to the clutch assembly."​

The this part is pure Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot.

• "There is no defective part"
    • Then why do parts fail and then cause a fire
    • Then why has FCA replaced parts
  • "The issue is the result of design specification
    • The part of a design specification could be correct
    • If its a bad design specification for a part, then do a recall and install better parts
  • "The is updated software"
    • How is software going to fix a mechanical/metallurgical/installation/design specification problem
    • So what is the software fix? Reduce engine Hp/Torque? Unacceptable.
  • "Mitigates safety risks"
    • Mitigates safety risk means the risk is still there
    • We want a solution that fixes the problem, not mitigates them.
Of course a software "fix" is cheaper than installing new parts the eliminate the problem.
The 3.6 motor produces less than 300 Lbs of torque. Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate is not rocket science. This should be a relatively easy mechanical fix. Might cost a FCA a few $$, but they had no problem taking our $$, so now then need to spend some of that to fix their "design specification" problem and install good parts that will fix the problem.

What really needs to be seen is a detailed independent root cause analysis (RCA) of this clutch failure issue. From a good RCA, it may be revealed that there is several issues. From that good RCA a proper solution that can be developed that fixes the problem and does not take away from the performance of the JL. Basically coming up with a solution (e.g., "updated software") before truly understanding the problem is reprehensible.

My $0.015 worth:
Before solving the problem, understand the problem.
FCA, do your homework, do a proper RCA, find a proper fix.
There is no rocket science here. All it takes is proper parts.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Well this is depressing.

My Jeep has been at the dealership for 3 weeks due to a battery drain issue. I was literally going to pick it up in 4 hours and have it back for the first time in 3 weeks and now it has to go back in so they can detune my engine... ... ... ... I passed the previous recall.

I'm so confused.

Can we not just install a more robust aftermarket clutch assembly?

That said I saw @JeepCares response and it seems like there are a lot of unknowns as of yet. With regards to my 3 weeks in the shop Jeep and @JeepCares could not have been better in how I was treated so I'm keeping faith that we can probably lower the pitch forks until we have more info. .

Last edited:

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if this software will be like what I had in a Sprinter van years ago. If so you guys are gonna hate it.
In this vehicle if you got stuck in snow and tried to speed up, then speed back to “rock” yourself out of the snow. Forget it. As soon as the computer sensed the tires spinning and you weren’t moving the computer would only let the wheels spin about 5 mph even if you had it floored.
Note to FCA: if my capable Jeep does this, which in my eyes makes it incapable. I’m not like the other sheep and just going to get an auto trans. This Jeep lifer will be a Jeep goner.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well this is depressing.

My Jeep has been at the dealership for 3 weeks due to a battery drain issue. I was literally going to pick it up in 4 hours and have it back for the first time in 3 weeks and now it has to go back in so they can detune my engine... ... ... ... I passed the previous recall.

I'm so confused.

Can we not just install a more robust aftermarket clutch assembly?

That said I saw @JeepCares response and it seems like there are a lot of unknowns as of yet. With regards to my 3 weeks in the shop Jeep and @JeepCares could not have been better in how I was treated so I'm keeping faith that we can probably lower the pitch forks until we have more info. .
Here's the crappy "design specification" and here's the fix

20200404_182453.jpg

20200406_132833.jpg

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
@Toycrusher

IMHO, don't think that a "software upgrade" can fix the "design specification" problem as well as the new parts that you have shown.