Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

JSKAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Did the dealership get this addressed for you? Feel free to send us a PM if we can help with anything.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares
Thanks Kaitlin. I'm happy to see your response and impressed Jeep maintains a presence here. I had no idea of any of this a week ago. I'm super impressed.

As of now (roughly 24 hrs since above message) I have not heard anything for sure. So far my local dealership seems to be supportive of my situation and have expressed they want to find a solution for what is clearly a manufacturing defect and not a wear issue. If that changes, I will reach out to you. For now, I will hold tight and wait for them to try the proper routes.

@JeepCares I do have one question. If this is a covered issue, can I request a covered rental vehicle? It is manageable for our family to have one vehicle for a couple days but it is a burden and unexpected issue for our family.

Thanks again Kaitlin.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks Kaitlin. I'm happy to see your response and impressed Jeep maintains a presence here. I had no idea of any of this a week ago. I'm super impressed.

As of now (roughly 24 hrs since above message) I have not heard anything for sure. So far my local dealership seems to be supportive of my situation and have expressed they want to find a solution for what is clearly a manufacturing defect and not a wear issue. If that changes, I will reach out to you. For now, I will hold tight and wait for them to try the proper routes.

@JeepCares I do have one question. If this is a covered issue, can I request a covered rental vehicle? It is manageable for our family to have one vehicle for a couple days but it is a burden and unexpected issue for our family.

Thanks again Kaitlin.
Your dealership may be able to provide a loaner car, I would ask them first.
If not we can reimburse you for a rental.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares

JSKAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler
Update #2:

Spoke with the technician at my local dealer this morning. Jeep is covering the repair of the flywheel and clutch. They expect to have the parts in by next Wednesday, and they provided a loaner vehicle for me.

While it is unfortunate that this happened, it's been surprisingly easy to get taken care of.

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
Iā€™m not sure if you guys have seen this, but I received an email today with this info. The remedy is now to reduce engine torque. Smh.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] B2D906D0-535F-45D1-96B2-3C88A7285FC1

Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
"reduce engine torque capability, free of charge"....

so much wrong with that sentence alone.... hey, we'll make your jeep less capable than when you bought it and you won't have a pay a cent for it!

Iā€™m not sure if you guys have seen this, but I received an email today with this info. The remedy is now to reduce engine torque. Smh.

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] B2D906D0-535F-45D1-96B2-3C88A7285FC1

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

WTH... just when you think FCA can't come up with something else stupid... they do.

@chevymitchell I'm converting Fat Ninja to auto ;)

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL

This is some wtf level stuff. I will say I never bought into the supposed fix in the initial recall....but if this is for real itā€™s totally unacceptable. I think the motor is ā€œgood enoughā€ but would think we all agree we donā€™t have excess amounts of torque to give away.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
unless the overheating issue is when the engine is at 6000 rpm? but to take away torque from 1000-4000 range is ridiculous...

This is some wtf level stuff. I will say I never bought into the supposed fix in the initial recall....but if this is for real itā€™s totally unacceptable. I think the motor is ā€œgood enoughā€ but would think we all agree we donā€™t have excess amounts of torque to give away.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
The four page PDF for the recall has a little more detail:

FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to add software to reduce engine torque capability when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

Hmmm. Interesting..lol.

I just wish my stupid creaking clutch/ whatever it is inside the transmission could be fixed. No, not the pedal creak issue.

I have not got this email yet nor do I see it on the fca recall vin search page.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to add software to reduce engine torque capability when clutch assembly temperatures rise to a level that may damage the inner pressure plate.
Thatā€™s much more acceptable. Thank you for posting this clarification!

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Thatā€™s much more acceptable. Thank you for posting this clarification!
I donā€™t see the difference. They are saying the cause of failure is due to rising temps so the fix is to detune the motor. Iā€™m unaware of any temp sensors for the clutch so I think itā€™s a detune always scenario. This is pretty unacceptable.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
And how are they going to monitor the clutch assembly temperature?
The automatic Jeeps have a transmission temp sensor but the stick jeeps only monitor oil and coolant, neither of which will give you an accurate reading on the temp of the clutch.
What BS. You couldn't pay me to have this software update. I'll roll the dice.
Sponsored